Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
P.J.Underwood

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I have often wondered how the Sussex Kipper gets such good photographs.It is obviously all about field craft and having a supple body.Most of us wouldn't be able to get up after these contortions.Here are two examples of the efforts required to get these photo's.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Sussex Kipper 1.jpg
Sussex kipper 2.jpg

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Legend.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

cracking Emperor shots as usual Neil, the dew covered Marbled White is exceptional.
Colin

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

In Search Of New Emperor Woods

On Tuesday (28th June) I joined forces with Matthew Oates in a hunt for new Sussex Purple Emperor sites - new for us that is! In a quiet wood near Billingshurst we saw 3 male Emperors, one of which came down to my bait, and then my finger. We may have seen more, but a fierce lightening storm brought a premature end to proceedings. A recently-emerged Speckled Wood patrolled the ride as we waited for HIM.
UKB PE (1) 28.6.11.jpg
UKB PE (2) 28.6.11.jpg
UKB Image by Matthew Oates.jpg
UKB Speckled Wood (1) 28.6.11.jpg
UKB Speckled Wood (2) 28.6.11.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fermyn (Part 1) - To The Woods, Without Breakfast! :D

With a disappointing start to The Season down South the lure of Fermyn was too strong to resist. On Wednesday 29th June I drove North early in the morning, arriving before He had stirred. It turned out to be one of those sublime days which come but once a year. He came down in wave after wave throughout the morning, in numbers I have not experienced before. Having my Japanese folding commuter bicycle always gives me the edge when clocking up numbers and I travelled some distance through the ride system; nevertheless, 35 grounded males is a LOT! At times I could see 5 or 6 quartering a short section of the track. One of my baits played host to 3 Emperors, 4 Red Admirals and a Comma. They landed on my forehead, hand, boots, trousers, rucksack and bicycle - they swarmed. I even managed the open wing, purple shot on foliage as a male cleaned his proboscis. It was a memorable morning, but just around the corner there was an even greater prize awaiting.
UKB Fermyn 1.jpg
UKB Fermyn 2.jpg
UKB Fermyn 3.jpg
UKB Fermyn 4.jpg
UKB Fermyn 7.jpg
UKB Fermyn 5.jpg
UKB Fermyn 6.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fermyn (Part 2) - afflicta

I'm very grateful to UKBers Nick Ballard and Phil Bromley for pointing out the Purple Emperor aberrant (later identified as ab. afflicta by Piers) which they had already photographed that morning (29th June) in Lady Wood at Fermyn. I had already clocked up 26 grounded males on an adjacent ride, but the day was just getting better by the moment! The butterfly had retired to a low hazel during a dull, cooler period, but was tantalisingly just out of reach of the camera. As we chewed the cud I remained quietly optimistic that it would return to ground ....... and after 10 minutes it did so, thereafter allowing me ample opportunity to photograph this rare and beautiful insect.

On Friday (1st July) I received a text from Matthew, who had just arrived at Fermyn and quickly located the specimen. Apparently it was also giving much pleasure to other lucky butterflyers. Two days in Fermyn is never enough.
UKB afflicta 1.jpg
UKB afflicta 2.jpg
UKB afflicta 3.jpg
UKB afflicta 4.jpg
UKB afflicta 5.jpg
UKB afflicta 6.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

At 5.35 am on Monday 4th July, despite my lengthy insistence that Mia Iris Hulme (italics for Iris please – after the Purple Emperor) would NOT be born on American Independence Day …… she was, at 8lbs 6 ozs. I look forward to spending many happy years dragging her around damp woods and Harvey Nicks. In my eyes Hannah has now achieved goddess status, for producing such a beautiful daughter for us. Emperor hat by 'House of Mrs Hulme'.
UKB Mia Iris Hulme.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wonderful news, Neil!

Many congratulations to you and Hannah :D

All the best,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Great news Neil, congratulations to you both. Hannah has done you proud, that's the loveliest iris photo I have seen this year :D .

Vince

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Vince Massimo wrote:that's the loveliest iris photo I have seen this year :D .
Agreed! :D

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Amazing pictures. And congratulations on the new arrival.
Sussex Kipper wrote: On Friday (1st July) I received a text from Matthew, who had just arrived at Fermyn and quickly located the specimen.
When I met Matthew there on the Saturday, he also showed me pictures of a rather impressive Comma aberrant he'd seen there on Friday. Did you find that one?

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yeayyyy!!! :D

Many congratulations to all three of you:
To Neil and Hannah for producing such a lovely larva and to Mia for choosing such a nature-loving pair as Mum and Dad. I'm sure you will have a great life together.

NB: As with all babies, remember "to keep the wet end dry and the dry end wet!" :wink: :lol:

Trev

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Congratulations.

Kindest regards. Mark

Susie

Post by Susie »

Congratulations! :D

I am thrilled that Mia has safely emerged and hope everyone is well and adjusting to life with the new addition. Sussex Nipper is quite possibly the prettiest baby I have ever seen. Must take after her mum! :lol:
Last edited by Susie on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Neil. Congrats all round from me too, and if you stray off the "p" into scene there is a baby mode :wink:
I'll have to have a drink tonight to wet the babies head...... any excuse :)

Chris

John W

Post by John W »

Many many congratulations to you and Hannah! She looks adorable, I wonder who she takes after?!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Make the most of her, it may not seem like it when you're doing a feed at 3am, but they grow up before you know it and you're wondering where the years went.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Many Congratulations to all of you, Neil. She's gorgeous.

Dave

Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Would like to add my congratulations and best wishes to Hannah and Neil on their life bringing and life changing happy event .

mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

She is beautiful Neil, congratulations!No more butterflying for a good while then! :-)

Return to “Personal Diaries”