Chequered Skipper

Larry Wheatland

Chequered Skipper

Post by Larry Wheatland »

Hi all,

I'm going to be in the lowlands of Scotland at the end of May but have to return to England by the end of the month. Do I have a reasonable chance of seeing Chequered Skipper if I try at the sites near Fort William, or am I slightly too early for the journey further north ? When did they start to appear in reasonable numbers last year ?

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts on my chances I haven't got much holiday time this Summer, so don't want a wasted journey if my chances are low !
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Larry,

I visited Spean Bridge on 26th May last year, and was too early. Although they were, apparently, out at Glasdrum Wood on that date. But I believe that most species emerged about a week later than usual last year.

So I guess the advice is to make it as late in May as possible, preferably early June.

Cheers,

- Pete
Larry Wheatland

Thanks Pete, especially for the tip about the Glasdrum Wood site. I'll have to look for where that site is. Hopefully some spp will be out earlier this year then. I've just recenty got more into butterflies through birding and have still never seen a Chequered Skipper (among others !)
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Take a look at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_ng ... pecies=All for Glasdrum Wood.

Chequered Skipper is the only UK species I've yet to see - so I might see you there!

Cheers,

- Pete
Adrian Hoskins

OK for males in May

Post by Adrian Hoskins »

My experience over several years of visiting Chequered Skipper sites in the Highlands is that in a normal season you will have no trouble at all finding males from about 22nd May onwards, but females tend to begin emerging around 28th. Both sexes continue into early June, with females lasting until the middle of the month at some sites.

The earliest sites are Glasdrum Wood, Glen Nevis, and Loch Arkaig. They emerge a few days later at Ariundle, Sunart Oakwoods, Spean Bridge etc.

Bear in mind that emergence times are greatly influenced by the climate in March when the larvae are feeding up. Check what's happening in Scotland during the larval stage. Emergence is affected to a lesser degree by the climate in May. The butterflies will only fly if there is plenty of sunshine, but you can sometimes find them roosting on bog myrtle when it's overcast.

Look for the adults in on humid, warm, sheltered south-west facing slopes. They will fly in young conifer plantations, and in dense pinewoods if there are firebreaks or cleared areas e.g. under electricity pylons. In oakwoods they are more abundant - look for them in lush, sheltered glades where they can be seen nectaring at bugle, dandelion etc. At a good site you should be able to find a dozen males in late May. Don't give up if you have difficulty finding them - persistence pays off !

Adrian Hoskins
larry wheatland

Post by larry wheatland »

Wow what fantastic gen ! Thanks ever so much Adrian, I'm so glad I discovered this wonderful website.
Mark Spedding

Post by Mark Spedding »

I'll be up in that part of the world on about 10th June with the intention of seeing Chequered Skipper (and possibly Marsh Frit). From what has been posted above I'm begining to think that it'll be touch and go as to whether I;ll see them or not (Glasdrum Wood was the place I was going to look). Anyone care to disel my fears?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I think you'll be OK for a couple of reasons:

1. The flight period isn't as short as some people think! Certainly not as short as some other species.

2. This season is generally considered to be later than previous years.

All in all, I think you'll be visiting either at, or just after, the peak.

Cheers,

- Pete
Larry Wheatland

Chequered Skipper

Hello,

We arrived at Glasdrum Wood yesterday. Mostly rainy/grey with a few sunny spells. No sign of any butterflies. Looks like the weather forecast is pretty grim for the next 5 days at least. We have only got till about 30 May before we've got to leave to head back down south so it's looking unlikely for us this year!!

Maybe tomorrow might be the best out of the next 5 days. We have our fingers fully crossed!

Larry and Nicky
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

That's rather unlucky since I noticed from the Herts and Middlesex website (23rd May entry) that some members have managed to see Chequered Skipper in Scotland this year, although no indication of where exactly. See

http://www.hertsmiddx-butterflies.org.u ... s-new.html

Cheers,

- Pete
Larry Wheatland

Chequered Skipper

Stop press: we managed to see a Chequered Skipper yesterday afternoon during a sunny spell, and again this morning briefly. We met some people this morning at Glasdrum Wood who said that they saw one last Sunday.

Nicky and Larry
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Congrats to you both! I'll be in Scotland next weekend and hope they're about. Glasdrum Wood is on the list :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Mark Spedding

Post by Mark Spedding »

Pete,

Any update on how you went on at Glasdrum Wood? Would be interested in both Chequered Skipper and Marsh Frits.

Mark
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Oops! I replied on the thread at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=219

But yes - successful with Chequered Skipper! I've since heard that Marsh Frits haven't been seen at Glasdrum Wood for some years, and I'll be updating the UK Butterflies website accordingly.

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “General”