Depressing news

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
David M

Depressing news

Post by David M »

Looks like opportunities to observe butterflies will be few and far between for the foreseeable future.

The BBC's outlook for the month ahead (updated at 10am every Monday) carries the heading "Summer postponed until July?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

The general tenor of the next 30 days is to see a continuation of the cool, unsettled theme across many areas of the British Isles over the next fortnight with a return to somewhat drier and warmer weather by early July, but perhaps only over the south of England and Wales.

Monday 13 June 2011 to Sunday 19 June 2011
Low pressure keeps summer at bay in all areas
The week starts with a vigorous low close to northeast Scotland. Up to 40mm of rain and gusts to 60mph could affect the region into the early part of Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday will be drier affairs elsewhere, with temperatures tip-toeing into the low 20Cs in East Anglia and southeast England.
A second low will loom onto the horizon to the west of the British Isles come Wednesday, throwing light rain into western Britain and Northern Ireland during the day. Eastern areas will be drier with some sunny spells. Temperatures will have fallen back to the high teens.
The week will finish with a showery Thursday and a wet day on Friday.

Monday 20 June 2011 to Sunday 26 June 2011
Wimbledon starts: new weather, please?
There's little sign of a spell of warm, sunny weather to take the nation through one of the premier, sporting events of the summer. Low pressure will again lie close by to the British Isles, with the wettest and windiest spells of weather to be found across the north and west.
Temperatures will not warrant postcards home, falling below par in southern England, south Wales, southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Sunshine amounts will suffer as unseasonable, wetter spells take precedence across southwest Britain and the Midlands.

Monday 27 June 2011 to Sunday 10 July 2011
High pressure returns to southern Briatin
High pressure should make a welcome return to the British Isles, especially in southern parts. Whilst this may help boost sunshine amounts, it may do little for temperatures, which could, again, disappoint in many areas.
Wetter areas may again be found across the north and west of the British Isles.

Depressing stuff. :(
JohnR

Re: Depressing news

Post by JohnR »

I did have the wood burner going last night, but is the forecast weather bad for butterflies? It would certainly seem that it's bad for watching them but that's not the same thing. The drought in the south has been broken and the wild flowers have come on considerably since the first rain about 10 days ago. More nectar must mean easier feeding and the larval plants will grow better but does cooler weather mean less activity. Do less in cop photos actually mean less breeding? I walked through some long wet herbage this morning to collect goose grass for my chickens and I was amazed at the number of Meadow Browns and Skippers that I disturbed.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Very good news for the drought-stricken East; any rain is welcome - even if it screws-up our viewing of the butterflies..... :(
Cambridge from January to May this year has had 161mm of rain, compared to the long-term historic mean of 263mm (according to the Met Office and a local Cambridge weather station in the City). In layman's terms this is nearly 4 inches of rain less!
Considering we are close to desert classification anyway, with the long-term mean (1971-2000) at only 562mm or about 22 inches, then the last 12 months (April'10-May'11) have brought barely 456mm or 17.9 inches of rain. Much of this was a couple of thunderstorms in August which boosted the total to 124.8mm compared to the long-term mean of 48.5mm.
It's been dry!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
David M

Post by David M »

I'd willingly give 80% of our Welsh rain to help the east of England!

It's undoubtedly good for farmers and growers, but it's the persistence of the Atlantic weather fronts that gets me down. I wouldn't mind so much if we got two or three per month, rather than two or three per WEEK. :(
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

I'd like it to be sunny during the day and rainy at night. That's not too much to ask is it? :wink: :shock:

I don't know what the answer is. It seems we've been hit by good springs only to be followed by lacklustre summers - this is probably the fifth year in a row?

However, there's nothing like proper rain for garden / farmland / wild-flower growth - you can almost see the stuff getting taller before your eyes on a day like yesterday.

Just as well it's not down to me to control it :roll: :)

Michael
David M

Post by David M »

It IS the fifth year in a row.

After the last good summer (2006), we've had 2 amazing Aprils (2007 & 2011) as well as unseasonably good Marches and Septembers.

I don't give a stuff about those though.

I'd like at least ONE remarkably good May, June or July.

It's surely not too much to ask, but it ain't happening though.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Not quite sure how it is here in NI, but rain was up by 11% average in May and April we only got 1mm, the driest April I have seen (or was that March, can't remember). I feel the weather has been backward this year, hot and dry spring, cool and wet summer. We get the right weather, at the wrong time.

A good balance of rain and sun is all we need, but I am not sure I have seen it in so long, don't know what exactly that is.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like we have a brief window of opportunity this Sunday through to early next week, as southern areas are forecast to see sunshine and 25C temperatures.

Good news for everyone (and Emperor hunters in particular).

Get that scat ready! :P
Susie

Post by Susie »

Monday is looking amazing. 30 degrees and I have to wait at home for the bloke to change the sky box! Meh!
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:Monday is looking amazing. 30 degrees and I have to wait at home for the bloke to change the sky box! Meh!
Simple. Get him to come later in the week.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

It may be a good forecast for the south for Sunday. But here I am late Friday and it's still touch and go whether I attempt Mountain Ringlet in the Lakes on Sunday, so it's still not much of a forecast "up north!"
David M

Post by David M »

Lawts wrote:It may be a good forecast for the south for Sunday. But here I am late Friday and it's still touch and go whether I attempt Mountain Ringlet in the Lakes on Sunday, so it's still not much of a forecast "up north!"
Tell me about it. You may as well be in a different country.

I had hoped to visit Scotland a few weeks ago for Chequered Skippers but the weather was appalling for 3 whole weeks!

Return to “Weather”