june 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: june 2011

Post by Willrow »

Must say the reports from the weekend are excellent as are the images that support them. Well done to all concerned!

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Butterfly roosting is a much overlooked behaviour.

Excellent shots of those Marbled Whites. You'd certainly never see four to a stem in the daytime.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks David. There were several groups of four, but this quartet were the only ones in relatively clear view - though you can tell the light was poor. Altogether, several dozens were congregated in a relatively small area, mostly in groups. Outside this concentration, there were only odd singletons.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Oddly enough, the poor light lends a rarely seen reality to the shot.

Many people posting pictures on here spend time enhancing their images (not that this is something I disagree with, I should point out), so it's refreshing (at least for me anyway) to see a photo that has been deliberately taken at an inopportune time of day merely to highlight an interesting facet of butterfly behaviour, with potential marks for technical impression not even factored in.
Millar153

Post by Millar153 »

admiral halsey wrote:Despite the cloud and rain, a short walk in Willow park, Basildon, yielded 20-30 large Skippers,1 Burnet companion, 2 Speckled wood, 2 unidentifed white, around a dozen Meadow Brown, and the one below which I'm undecided about. Thought it might be a Heath, but none of my sources confirm.

Rich
poss heath helicopter park 18 june 2011.jpg2.jpg
I'd be cheesy and say "No eye, dear" - but I do have an idear - I'd say Meadow Brown based on the colour. :D

Sam
samuel.millar153
on wordpress and flickr
NickB

Post by NickB »

Decided the day was worth butterflying - so stopped-off at Brampton Wood. Many Ringlet, MB and Large Skipper and 2 White Admiral along with a few GVW, Speckled Wood, and a single Comma and RA. Up to 3 WLH also above the rides at any one time, but none came down. Then on to ....
Bedford Purlieus was as expected - PhilB already there; more SWF than yesterday, but flighty by the time I got there. The usual suspects in good numbers - Large Skipper, Ringlet, MB - with more GVW and Speckled Wood. A few WLH came down to the ground and the thistles so managed a few shots, Tantalisingly, a Purple Hairstreak showed itself and landed halfway-up a small tree - and stayed there :lol:
"I'm staying up here, boys....."
"I'm staying up here, boys....."
"What I did at the weekend......." :)
"What I did at the weekend......." :)
N
WLH
WLH
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

That's smashing, Nick!

And I love your roosting Marbled Whites, Dave. I must get back to Denbies soon.
A_T

Post by A_T »

David M wrote:Had a last moment change of plan for today.

Late last night someone posted that today was Collard Hill's Large Blue 'Open Day' and that the species was expected to be at its peak.

This reassured me that there is still some while to go yet before this butterfly's flight season comes to its end, so having checked the weather forecast and having seen conditions in Shropshire predicted to be almost identical to those in Somerset, I changed tack and made my way up north to visit Whixall Moss near Shrewsbury (plus I wasn't overkeen on visiting Collard Hill if it was likely to be overcrowded with visitors).

I left Swansea at 7.15am but got lost near Whixall, as the map I'd printed out didn't cover the area in sufficient detail. All the roads were unmarked and I ended up driving round aimlessly before I spotted a brown sign which guided me not to Whixall Moss but to its neighbour, Bettisfield Moss, which is on the other side of the canal.

At this point I was just keen to get out of the car and stretch my legs, and to be fair the terrain looked pretty promising - grassy pathway through light woodland leading onto what looked like a peat bog.

Sure enough, having emerged onto the bog it wasn't long before the first Large Heath turned up, followed by a handful more.
David interested to hear that you went to Bettisfield Moss - I have never been that side of the canal. Up until about 5 or 6 years ago it was covered with a conifer plantation which was removed. It's great to learn that there are Large Heaths there. Every sympathy with you getting lost in Whixall I've done that a few times!

I was at Fenn's and Whixall Moss yesterday - the Large Heaths were popping up every 20 yards or so I've never seen so many.
ludlows30

Post by ludlows30 »

5 Black hairstreaks at Glapthorn cow pasture late morning ,2 still in good condition. At Fermyn wood a White admiral but no Emporers yet.
NickB

Post by NickB »

ludlows30 wrote: At Fermyn wood a White admiral but no Emporers yet.
..how is the "Emperor Watch" team getting on? Has Neil arrived yet?
You should be able to detect his approach from a way upwind.....
...with baited breath, I would think :mrgreen:

(I'll join Roger after I get me coat...)
David M

Post by David M »

A_T wrote:

David interested to hear that you went to Bettisfield Moss - I have never been that side of the canal. Up until about 5 or 6 years ago it was covered with a conifer plantation which was removed. It's great to learn that there are Large Heaths there. Every sympathy with you getting lost in Whixall I've done that a few times!

I was at Fenn's and Whixall Moss yesterday - the Large Heaths were popping up every 20 yards or so I've never seen so many.
Was it really? They've done a good job clearing it then as it's very open now (as you can see from the photo I took).

Are there any other stretches of peat bog within a 20 mile radius of this area? If there are, I suspect Large Heaths might be found there too.
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Sandra and I went to Broxbourne Woods today and whilst no White Admiral or Purple Emperor showing, we did see an unusual sighting for the woods, a Dark Green Fritillary.Not sure if this a first for the woods but it was taking advantage of a recently cleared area which is now full of thistles. It is always great to see something that you are not expecting.

Kevin.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

After 17 consecutive days at work, today was my day to go buttterflying...and it didn't rain! :D

Started at Jubilee Woods, Malden Rushett where I was very pleased to see my first Meadow Browns, Small Skippers and White Admirals of the year but no sign of any WLHs...yet. Then off to Bookham Common where there were masses (well, dozens) of Meadow Browns, plenty of White Admiral action and quite a few Silver-washed Fritillaries. Best 5 minutes of the year so far was finding a rumple-winged male Purple Hairstreak halfway up a bracken frond. We took pics before I gently lifted him up onto my fingertip. I guess it was my body warmth, but within seconds he opened his wings to reveal a stunning purple sheen - all seen at six inch distance! After a few minutes he suddenly lifted up and flew towards the oak canopy...just in time to be buzzed by a Purple Emperor!!! Guess His Majesty couldn't resist checking out the purple intruder this close to the master trees. :D :D Fresh-looking summer brood Commas and a handful of Ringlets summed up butterfly interest at Bookham, the only other notable (for me) sighting was of an Orange-tip pupa on Garlic Mustard. I thought they moved off of the foodplant to pupate? Despite a bit more looking I couldn't see any others. Presumably they had all read the books and had wandered elsewhere to pupate?

A flying visit to Fairmile Common revealed good numbers of Silver-studded Blues, mostly worn but with a sprinkling of fresh individuals. Also loads of Cinnabar larvae on the ragwort.

Glad to be back in on the action again, my last notebook entry reads 3rd June!

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

A day off spent locally in and around the Lincolnshire Limewoods. 5 White Admirals - 2 at a new location for me. First Ringlet of the year - 4 in total.
No sign yet of Marbled White but it is early and it was very windy on their usual meadow.

Hugh
George

Post by George »

Mountain Ringlets - good weather forecast for Sunday (26th) and as MR are one of only two species we have left to see of our native butterflies we thought we would head to Irton Fell - anyone know if they are still flying there? If not there the next best place to see them?

We have tried several times both in the Lakes and also at Ben Lawers but failed (weather)

Arnside Knot is always a wonderful place to visit so may still go there anyway!

Thanks
George
http://www.gfcphotography.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

George, they were numerous on Irton Fell on 4 June and there may well be some individuals still around this weekend.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hooray! Just saw my first Ringlet and Meadow Brown in the Cemetery this year! Along with 5+ GVW and a Comma; And the council have left 1/4 of the Cemetery (after much nagging!) for the flowering plants to mature. There are several indicator/strong indicator species that show the Cemetery is indeed a remnant of undisturbed neutral/calcareous grassland for at least the last 200 years - Ox-eye daisy, Common Sorrel, Common Knapweed, Lady's Bedstraw, Hoary Plantain, Salad Burnet, Hairy Sedge, Field Scabious - for example. As well as, Great Mullein, Ribwort Plantain, Yarrow, Creeping and Spear Thistle, various Hawk's bits, Crane's Bill - Dove's Foot, Small Flowered, Round-leaved & Hedgerow, Herb Robert, Common & Prickly Lettuce, 3 Dead Nettles......(110 species of plants - excluding trees and garden escapees - and counting...)
Shame the significance of such a species rich grassland is lost on many of those undertaking the management of the space, and it seems, the general public..... :cry:
N
EricY

Post by EricY »

tues 21st I walked with a NWT group round RSPB Lakenheath fen (wetland well known as a former carrot field). G Orioles & Cranes did not show & I gather sightings have been sparse this year, but we did see the escapee Harris Hawk now living there.
Walking back along the little ouse floodbank there were lots of wild flowers & very suitable habitat for bf's. Must have seen close to 200 GVW's, 30+ large skippers & 20+ meadow browns. Highlight was a mating pr of Banded Demoiselles.
dl 21 06 11 Sony H50 022 banded demoiselle mating pr.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yesterday (22nd) I managed to squeeze in a quick visit late in the day to Harmondsworth Moor just north-west of Heathrow. The uncut grassy areas were alive with Meadow Browns, Marbled Whites and Small Skippers, plus a few Small Heaths. 2010 was the first year I had seen Marbled Whites here, and now their numbers appear to have increased markedly - I counted over 30 in a relatively small area so the overall total must be impressive. Incidentally, I don't believe there were any Essex Skippers out yet, but I'm happy to be contradicted on the evidence below...

Dave
Attachments
SS2 resized.jpg
SS1 resized.jpg
SS3 resized.jpg
SS4 resized.jpg
onehandclap

Post by onehandclap »

I met willrow in the evening sunshine at Collard Hill on Sunday 19th and he encouraged me to get posting, so here I am! This is my first year of serious butterfly chasing and was trying to confirm a Hairstreak identification with Bill by looking on my camera back. I think the glorious views over the Somerset countryside confused us as the 'White Letter' was clearly a Purple once I looked it up at home. The 'Southern Hawker' also turned out to be a Hairy Dragonfly. Well it had been a long day!

I nearly trod on the Purple Hairstreak as I was walking along the newly opened Polden Way - thoroughly recommended for views and butterfly locations as it follows the Poldens through several public and private reserves. The morning had been damp and so the Hairstreak was sheltering under a grass blade. I started clicking then the sun came out briefly and he woke up, swivelled up the right way, had a quick flash of the solar panels and was off into the surrounding oaks. My first and probably closest ever encounter.

The escarpment along the Poldens was a flutter, once the sun came out, with Marbled Whites, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Large Skippers, Common Blues and of course the Large Blues to end the day. Quite memorable.

The best of my years encounters can now be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/onehandclap.

Barry
Attachments
A late Hairy Dragonfly
A late Hairy Dragonfly
Charging up
Charging up
Purple Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak

Return to “Sightings”