Chiddingfold woods

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
P.J.Underwood

Chiddingfold woods

Post by P.J.Underwood »

First purple emperor seen at 2.45pm at Oaken wood and my first Silver washed fritillary and White Admiral at Botany Bay after this.
P.J.U.
Attachments
White Admiral
White Admiral
millerd

Re: Chiddingfold woods

Post by millerd »

I was at Botany Bay from 0930 till 1300 today - plenty of SWF and White Admiral, but nothing Purple. Two Wood Whites were hanging on too, but I didn't see a single Ringlet, which is unusual.

Dave
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I agree.Nothing purple at Botany bay,but seen at the noticeboard at Oaken Wood-Burntwood kennels entrance.
P.J.U.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Here is what I think is a new one for Oaken Wood-a Dark Green fritillary seen today.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Dark green fritillary (4).jpg
Dark Green Fritillary (3).jpg
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Here is what I think is a new one for Oaken Wood-a Dark Green fritillary seen today.
P.J.U.
'fraid that the 2010 Species distribution map and report from Malcolm Bridge says "Occasional, but reliable sightings, from Chiddingfold continue ... " but I am sure that he will be delighted with your occasional and reliable sighting.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

A Dark Green Fritillary was seen and photographed in Oaken Wood on Wednesday, 15th June. Maybe the same one?
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

It could well be the same one,as it was fairly stationary,on the rt.side of the path about 200yds in.The problem I have is that I only have access to the 2009 records-on the website-so how can I get these more recent ones?I would be very grateful for all info.as I want to do a paper on animal ethics which relates to how humans are affecting the environment of the very species they are pursuing.Such examples are the ringing of owl chicks and upsetting the parents;catching rare birds time and time again in nets;trampling on the vegetation and killing or maiming the very butterflies they are trying to photograph.I am a vet.and to do this I need to understand the species.That is why I am getting involved.Also there is the question of a place such as the Wrecclesham sandpits-poisoned by the landfill by methane and now it might take 50yrs to put it right.I feel that we as humans should see that this unique site is put right and returned to nature.I am in a position to be able to exert some pressure on the people concerned.So as you can see,I need all the help I can get!
P.J.U.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

P.J.Underwood wrote: I want to do a paper on animal ethics which relates to how humans are affecting the environment of the very species they are pursuing.Such examples are the ringing of owl chicks and upsetting the parents;catching rare birds time and time again in nets;trampling on the vegetation and killing or maiming the very butterflies they are trying to photograph.I am a vet.
I assume you also have concerns regards how people affect their own pets? The lonely old dear with her hugely overweight labrador which can barely walk, the local cat-woman with 27 house cats which are never allowed to leave her 2-bed flat, the young child who has allowed his birthday rabbit to fester in a tiny hutch and develop ulcers...As you say,
P.J.Underwood wrote:I am in a position to be able to exert some pressure on the people concerned
and I hope you do.

Good luck with "putting things right" again.

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Yes,I have seen all that and more.One can argue about farm animals being kept for food.Horses being ridden etc.But this is a new aspect-animals in nature being affected by the people interested in them.
P.J.U.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

P.J.Underwood wrote:The problem I have is that I only have access to the 2009 records-on the website-so how can I get these more recent ones?
You could either ask the county recorder malcolm.bridgeATntlworld.com or
P.J.Underwood wrote:trampling on the vegetation and killing or maiming the very butterflies they are trying to photograph
you could join a few of us on Thursday at 10.30 am at Oaken Wood when we trample and cut the undergrowth in an attempt to keep Oaken Wood a tempting place for wildlife. We will be under Malcolm's supervision and tools are provided
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I could well come,depending on the weather.Some places are fine and they are large enough to sustain peoples' feet.But what happens if you get numbers like on some bird twitches? I think woods are alright,but some of the smaller limited soft vegetation areas could be in trouble don't you think?
P.J.U.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

After several days of looking I finally tracked down a female Dark Green Fritillary at Oaken Wood this morning. It was on the area where the bracken has recently been cleared. I had a good morning which included Purple and Green Hairstreak, the latter in very poor condition, Ringlet, Silver-washed Fritillary, White and Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Marbled White, Comma and Small and Large Skipper. A quick pop back in the afternoon, whilst dodging the showers, produced a single Small Heath and a late female Common Blue. The Emperor didn't show however! Perhaps next time?
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Here is what I think is a new one for Oaken Wood-a Dark Green fritillary seen today.
P.J.U.
I was wrong. Malcolm confirmed that the Dark Green is a first for Oaken Wood. The one shown on the distribution map was for elsewhere in the complex.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Seen today in the middle.At least 3 Purple emperors-one yesterday.
Attachments
Purple emperor (2).jpg
Purple emperor 3 (2).jpg
Showing different methods.
Showing different methods.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Today,I carried out a regular visit to Botany Bay.There were a large number of Wood Whites (second brood) and they were mostly of the purest white.There was not much else!At Oaken it was mostly Meadow Brown's and Gatekeepers.
Attachments
Wood White (2).jpg
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

This is what was going on at Botany Bay today.As the wind blew and their footholds were blown apart,the butterflies almost stretched to breaking point.But nothing gave-a brave pair.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Two Wood Whites 3 (2).jpg

Return to “Sites”