Old Winchester Hill

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Robin

Old Winchester Hill

Post by Robin »

Hi,
I had a good trawl round Old Winchester Hill yesterday in search of the Adonis Blues that were reported as being there on Saturday 2nd June. I was unable to find any despite an extensive search of the area directly downward from the car park (going west) and the bottom of the south facing slope of the fort.
Does anyone know if they are in a different area?
If the information is too sensitive for general circulation then please let me know.
Thanks
Robin
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Hi Robin

I was at Old Winchester Hill on Sunday 3 June. One butterflyer told me the Adonis Blues were on the southern slope from the fort, and another that they were all around the fort.

I tried the southern slope and walked all around the fort. Now, I'm still a novice at this game but I feel pretty sure I was looking at Common Blues! One butterfly did stand out from the 'crowd' (on the southern embankment of the fort) as it was a noticeably deeper hue of blue (below) I convinced myself at the time it was an Adonis, but I still can't be sure - can anyone positively id?

I'm wondering if I did, after all, see lots of Adonis Blues or whether confusion with Common Blues can even affect more experienced enthusiasts than I!

Bryan
Martin

Post by Martin »

Looks like Adonis, Bryan...the black marginal spots do it for me.

Martin.
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Thanks, Martin :D

The Adonis was rather on its own. By way of contrast here's one of the blues I saw in abundance and in company with others:

This I took to be one of the numerous Common Blues???

Bryan
Martin

Post by Martin »

Yes...that's a much more Common Blue blue, just like my avatar.

Martin.

(I reserve the right to be totally wrong though :lol: )

Return to “Sites”