Heath fritillaries at Wrecclesham

P.J.Underwood

Heath fritillaries at Wrecclesham

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Following my postings yesterday under the Glanvilles at Wrecclesham I can now report that I revisited the site this morning.I only saw four Heath Frits.in an hour and they were difficult to find.I think they disperse rather quickly.I suspect unless there are more emergences they will be almost impossible to find.They do not seem happily disposed like the Glanvilles.I also found a Glanville coming to the end of its time.The small tortoiseshell seemed to have more white than usual.I also saw about 30 marbled whites.
P.J.U.
Attachments
A "white" tortoiseshell
A "white" tortoiseshell
Underside of the Heath
Underside of the Heath
A new Heath
A new Heath
An old Glanville
An old Glanville
Philzoid

Re: Heath fritillaries at Wrecclesham

Post by Philzoid »

On my day at Straits enclosure (Sat 02nd Jul) I met an enthusiast who was keen to show me picture on his camera of "Glanvilles he'd taken at Wrecclesham on the 16th of June". The thing was they were not Glanvilles but Heaths, or at least the majority were.

So where are the Heaths coming from? Same person who's started off the Glanville colony is now releasing Heaths? (perhaps even that Long-tailed Blue I got last year at Straits (4th of July))? Scuse if the answer is common knowledge.
P.J.Underwood

Re: Heath fritillaries at Wrecclesham

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Local investigation has shown that they have been there 2 or 3 yrs after a small release.My photo of them in cop. shows that they are serious about staying!
P.J.U.
Attachments
Heath Frits behaviour 4 (2).jpg

Return to “General”