june 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: june 2011

Post by Willrow »

Millar153 wrote::mrgreen: I'm green-as-a-Green-Hairstreak with envy! Or empathic joy. 200 Heath Frits?! Wonderful photos.

Report from the magical land of Nornia (Northern Ireland) - somebody saw a Brimstone last month (very rare here), and the Large Heaths are coming out. Orange tips and Small Heaths exploded everywhere. Marsh Frits fine, no Dark Greens yet (except caterpillaries). Still waiting for the Commas to colonise... wish they'd hurry up.

http://www.bcni.org.uk/sightings.php?sp ... utterflies

And my relatively feeble report from Glencairn Park, Belfast, today, 10am, sun/cloud/showers, mild, cool breeze....

Orange-tips still hanging on (1m1f)
Small Copper very tatty (1)
Green-veined White still first brood (2f)
Speckled Wood (1) and Cryptic Wood White (1)

Yes - Cryptic! May I deviate? :D

Article on the Dublin Naturalists website decrees that it's no longer Réal's Wood White in Ireland but its recently-separated even-more-cryptic species pair the newly/soon-to-be christened Leptidea juvernica, the Cryptic Wood White! (Oh don't you just love their originality!!!!!!) :wink:

http://www.butterflyireland.com/News&Comments.htm

Maybe it's not officially Cryptic yet - but it is in my notebook! Here's my shot from May 8th.

Hoping to see some late Green Hairstreaks if the sun peeks out in the Mournes this weekend (pigs might fly).
Any verdict on the cryptic new name on the block? As you may have guessed, I'm excited! (Or am I due a rebuke for prematurity??)
Sam

http://millar153.wordpress.com/
Well Sam, it's all such fascinating stuff. Wood White/Real's Wood White et al, are a species with a most interesting history, they must be a 'grail species' for anyone working in genetic variance ie. the Russian's mentioned on your link. As regards Williams and his findings in the 1940's :shock: he was certainly a man before his time, working without so many of the tools that the modern scientist dealing in genetics/inheritance has today.

Cryptic Wood White? - well why not, the history of lepidoptera is absolutely littered with far worst names! Thank you for sharing this fascinating information with us, it seems that Ireland could have a new butterfly species!

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Willrow wrote: Hi Michael,
Go to Collard Hill, the Large Blue have a relatively short flight season, and you also have to consider the advantage of Ewenny being almost 'local' and the High Brown Fritillary will be on the wing right through into August. Saturday is looking fair on the weather front too
Hi Bill,
thanks for the advice - my problem is that I like trying to see the Butterflies as close to their emergence as possible. My other problem is trying to travel here and there around the country whilst doing a full-time job (as most of us struggle with). We're off to Bulgaria in fortnight and If we do much more travelling before we go we'll be knackered before we set off! :o Also, the problem with 'local' hot spots (and we are lucky where we are) is that you still need time to get out and about even if a spot is 45 or 25 minutes down the road. I intend to keep half an eye on Forest Farm (Whitchurch) for the emergence of the White-Letter Hairstreaks as well. Even with visiting the Marsh Fritlillaries at Aberbargoed this year three times, I still didn't quite see them at their peak - time goes very quickly!

Which is why it'd be nice if we could have two nice days at the weekend - looks like that's out though! I hope you're successful in Oxfordshire. You've got as good a chance of reasonable weather as anywhere else in the country on Saturday! :)

Michael
EricY

Re: june 2011 Black Hairstreaks @ Glapthorne

Post by EricY »

Having planned a trip to Glapthorne Cow Pasture (a wood) today, we were slightly discouraged by the very bad BBC one weather forecast @ 6.15am. It promised lots of rain through Northants/Cambs/Norfolk. Good job we ignored it & went anyway, super morning weather perfect, little wind nice temp & hazy sunshine. Had at least 16 - 20 black Hairstreaks all to ourselves with one other photographer from London. Just had to stand in front of the trimmed blackberry bushes that were loaded with flowers for the bf's to come & sit infront of us, found one caught in a spiders web (pic attached). By 9.30am I had filled my first card! Our friend from London remarked "no wonder they call this the premier site for them". Also several large skippers & speckled woods around.
Moved on to Bedford Purlieus but the southern ride where last year we saw the WLH's & Silver washed Frit's has been cut right back over the winter, no brambles or understory. Will surely be difficult for those species this year. The northern clearings did produce some nice immature Blacktailed Skimmer Dragonflies. Eric
dl 10b 06 11 Sony H50 005 BH caught in web.jpg
dl 10b 06 11 Sony H50 010 Black Hairstreak.jpg
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi David,
I think we'll stick with Ewenny tomorrow, but they keep on changing the forecast :roll: - looks like it might be nice all day there now....depending how accurate the forecast is :roll: Good luck with whatever you do - may see you if you're at Old Castle Down. :) I think there's the possibility of intermittent sunshine wherever you go!
Michael
Last edited by Michaeljf on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:Hi David,
I think we'll stick with Ewenny tomorrow, but I may not go down until the afternoon, as I'm not sure if the site is going to be under rain until about 1pm. Depending how accurate the forecast is :roll: Good luck with whatever you do - may see you if you're at Old Castle Down. :) I think there's the possibility of intermittent sunshine wherever you go!
Michael
My philosophy is thus: DG and HB Frits are far more approachable in cloudy, cool conditions than they are in sunny, warm weather. Tomorrow's forecast, whilst far from ideal, presents an opportunity for one of those butterflying days when unexpected things happen.

That said, the forecast is much better for the afternoon. I've watched the BBC forecast half a dozen times tonight and the conclusion is that the late afternoon is the optimum time. That gives me 4 or 5 hours to do other things. Whitecross Green Wood is tempting but it could turn pear-shaped if I drive 150 miles to be greeted by heavy rain showers.

I'm still undecided. It's going to be a cold night (Oxford was forecast to be as low as 4C!) and I'm not sure Black Hairstreaks would be on the wing if the late morning was hovering around 14C (even if it was sunny).
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote: Tomorrow's forecast, whilst far from ideal, presents an opportunity for one of those butterflying days when unexpected things happen.
That sounds good to me. You'll notice the forecast on the BBC changed in between me posting initially...that's how quickly they keep on changing it!! :oops: :shock:
Michael
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

There’s been the usual criticism of weather forecasts.

I now wear my amateur weather man’s hat (actually, I used to earn a few bob giving gliding weather forecast so not entirely an amateur).

At the moment there is a showery, changeable regime. It is impossible to predict with much accuracy exactly where those showers will fall. For example, no showers fell on my garden on Friday yet just six miles away at Duxford, there was a heavy shower. No forecast could ever predict that level of detail more than about one hour ahead; the forecast might say scattered or isolated showers with occasional thunderstorms. So don’t read too much into a forecast on a day like that.

Very short range cloud and rain forecasts are possible from various websites. I have my own website which links to these and other useful sources.

http://www.splatterjack.co.uk

Jack
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Did things turn backwards this year? Warm spring, cold June instead of other way around? Frosty last few nights with temps going as low as 4-6C, it has been raining but not enough to do much real good, looks like autumn here with the amount of browning leaves on trees, even my blackthorn has just one leaf starting to appear and my sessile oak has tiny leaves, not fully formed and has been that way for ages.

However yesterday was warm 15C and sunny, so went to a salt marsh at Strangford Lough. Its off limits from September-March due to overwintering birds there needing protection, but I had a look around and one side of the marsh has lots of birds-foot trefoil and blankets of sea-milkwort. I first saw 3 green-veined white and while trying to photograph one, a group of people on bicycles came past and started cheering at me, that was odd. Also found lots of hoary cress (Cardaria draba) near the lough, a very rare plant in NI with only 2 or 3 known sites.

I went along towards the salt marsh and saw 3 male common blues, first for year, tried getting photos but wasn't to be, all too fast and flighty. I did see a pair of common terns fishing though. Back at home I saw a red admiral in garden.
Attachments
Sea-Milkwort
Sea-Milkwort
Birds-Foot Trefoil
Birds-Foot Trefoil
Common Tern
Common Tern
Salt Marsh Again
Salt Marsh Again
Salt Marsh
Salt Marsh
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

In between the showers today, I found one very obliging Dark Green Fritillary.
Attachments
DGF.jpg
Cheers

Roger
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I had a couple of Dark Green Frits on transect this morning, so I went back armed with the camera, ( first time for a while ), but they were not obliging. :evil:

This Hummer and Small Tort, that were hanging around the same area were some consolation.

Regards Gruditch
Hummer 800.jpg
small tort 768.jpg
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Saturday 11th June, visit to Ewenny (South Wales)

So after much meandering, head-scratching and looking at weather forecasts, I decided to go to Ewenny (S Wales, near Bridgend) to see if I could see the early-emerging High Brown Fritillaries. We arrived about 9:20 am to bright sunshine with very little cloud cover (the track I normally take is from Wick Road). Within a couple of minutes – in what I would call ‘the reserve’ section – I saw a couple of Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries, soon to be followed by one, then two, and finally three High Brown Fritillaries. However, these butterflies were all some way into the Bracken cover and getting a good photograph was out of the question with a macro. They also weren’t hanging about. Who was it who said “be careful what you wish for, it might come true?*”, because the sun was already too warm for these beauties to stay still. They seemed to disappear fairly quickly as well. :|

We wandered up the top of the main reserve, following the edge of a wheat field to the left, to a clearing I had seen in the previous week that I reckoned could be good for the Fritillaries. There was a lovely smell coming from the honeysuckle flowers. We passed another SPBF, a Dark Green Fritillary and a couple of fast-flying unidentified large Frits on the way across. In the humid heat it was hard work, though the volunteers had done a great job of clearing a path through the stinging nettles / brambles at the top path on the previous week. The chances of ripping your legs to shreds had been reduced (though this is one site I where I always wear long trousers!). Anyway, at the clearing, sure enough there were several Fritillaries around the bramble and emerging Thistles, but although they were stopping a bit more, photography was still difficult. So I followed the track a bit further on, to a nice little ride slightly less out in the open, and watched a whole little colony of Dark Green Fritillaries at about mid-day. These individuals were more than happy to stop, and they were all in good condition :) . I reckon there must have been at least 10-14 adults down this section. I kept on seeing what I thought were more High Brown individuals, only to find out they were Dark Greens. Identification of these two can be easy on some, and difficult on others! :roll:

So I wandered back to the main reserve, seeing a few more SPBF’s, a few more unidentified fast-flying Fritillaries, a nice couple of batches of Peacock caterpillars, a Brimstone, some Large Skippers and a Green-Veined White. The temperature kept fluctuating with some cloud cover, but the High Browns I’d seen earlier at the start had obviously wandered off without anything to nectar at in the reserve area. I wanted to visit another part of the forest clearing, where we had done clearing work during the spring - but a tree had fallen in the road (it was too heavy to move without saws) so we went back home, stopping at Forest Farm (Coryton, Cardiff) hoping to see the first White-Letter Hairstreaks, but unfortunately there were none. Oh well. Despite the good weather most of the day I should have stayed on at Ewenny - the best laid plans and all that...I guess I’ll be making another trip there next week if the weather is good!

Michael

*maybe it was John Lennon, but I know Colin Vearncombe sings this line in ‘Listen’(‘Black’1990)

The start of what I'd call 'the reserve' area. Plenty of Bracken and blue sky.

This was about the closest I got to the High Brown Fritillaries. I told you the photo was s***t..

There were still quite a few Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries around. I think they've been there for a month now.

ImageMoving along to a more open area with plenty of Brambles and thistles.

ImageOne of the Dark Green Fritillaries nectaring briefly from the Thistles.

A very nice Male Dark Green Fritillary. Now happy to stop for me in a sheltered corner. Thanks!

A female Dark Green Fritillary stops for a moment on the Thistle. Thanks again!

The Peacock Butterfly caterpillars in their gregarious group. All looking pretty well-fed!

One of the many Large Skippers flying about. I like their antennae patterning - very ornate!
Last edited by Michaeljf on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Roger,

When do you think peak season for the High Brown Fritillary will be in your part of the world? If I can arrange to be there at the right time I might have a crack at Room Hill and see if the species is still hanging on in Somerset.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Back to Box Hill and Denbies this afternoon.

At the former, I saw one solitary newly-emerged Marbled White, and one Dark Green Fritillary - plus a good number of Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and Large Skippers. I think I may have seen a Chalkhill Blue: definitely a Blue, but I initially took it to be a very worn Common Blue, but it looked too pale and silvery, and the underside was almost white. Out came the camera and away scooted the butterfly, so I shall never know for sure.

Over at Denbies, all the interest was unusually in the upper area, Steer's Field. There were dozens of Meadow Browns, a good number of Small Heaths, including some unusually large individuals, and several Marbled Whites. However, the highlight was the Dark Green Fritillary. Last week there was one: today there were at least six, all fresh males. Down on the main hillside, Small Heath abounded, and Marbled Whites were emerging down in the grass. At one point a group of six were squabbling energetically each other. As for Blues, the last Adonis and Common Blue females were hanging on. Just. Finally, plodding back up to the car park with the sun now in, a Small Tortoiseshell appeared amongst the Meadow Browns - but the DGF had all hidden themselves away.
Attachments
Dark Green Fritillary - Box Hill
Dark Green Fritillary - Box Hill
Marbled White - Box Hill
Marbled White - Box Hill
Marbled White - Box Hill
Marbled White - Box Hill
Marbled White + Large Skipper - Box Hill
Marbled White + Large Skipper - Box Hill
Small Tortoiseshell - Denbies
Small Tortoiseshell - Denbies
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Matsukaze
They have been out on Exmoor for over a fortnight. The numbers today were as good as I have ever seen - so I guess probably another fortnight will be about it.
I have visited Room Hill every year for the last 5 years, and never seen one.
I would love to hear of a positive sighting there.
Please let me know?

Cheers

p.s. I have just seen my last post, and loads of it is missing? I wrote all about HBs and other delights from Heddon Valley, and also my first SWF of the year. I must have hit delete instead of enter or something..
Cheers

Roger
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Gary
That Hummer is a stunner!
Cheers

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Like Michaeljf, I too was compelled to visit the Alun Valley High Brown Fritillary site in south Wales this morning.

I had some trepidation when leaving Swansea at 0915hrs with the temperature a mere 11C, but skies were cloudless and by the time I arrived at Old Castle Down at 0950 little had changed.

My foray onto Old Castle Down itself realised not a single Dark Green or High Brown Fritillary. Luckily though, the last time I visited (a fortnight ago), the transect walker, Paul Dunn, had showed me how to get to the bespoke 'Fritillary Meadow' on the south facing bank of the valley, on the opposite side of the railway line.

Sure enough, things were very different in these secluded and sheltered slopes, and Fritillaries were circuiting around the meadow, swooping upon the Marsh Thistles that have recently come into flower.

I have to say that a lot of excellent work has been done on this site without fanfare. I know for a fact that Paul Dunn spends time clearing the slopes to make them accessible, and a walk around them revealed how busy he has been in this last fortnight.

There were freshly cut tracks in all the bracken fields, but what struck me was how the Marsh Thistles had been spared the scythe and looked somewhat out of place standing proud in the decimated pathways when all else had been trimmed back to within an inch of ground level.

The meadow itself is an absolute dream for a butterfly enthusiast. It's level, south facing, private, almost impossible to find without local knowledge and has been prepared slavishly to satisfy the demands of Wales's rarest butterfly.

It was very satisfying to see 4 High Brown Fritillaries basking in what had been created for them in this field, as well as maybe a dozen Dark Green Fritillaries.

In the upper slopes, Dark Greens were conspicuous, whereas High Browns were scarcer (I only positively identified 2). Nonetheless, it's still early in the season, and I didn't see a single female of either species, so I daresay in another 10-15 days things will change quite dramatically.

Even in the micro-climate of these lower slopes, I'm sure temperatures never exceeded 18C. I barely broke sweat as I made my way up through the patchwork of interconnected bracken fields. This meant the Fritillaries were fairly approachable, though they never stayed feeding for more than about 30 seconds on any one flower.

Plenty of other butterflies were seen, and the full count between 9.50 am and 12.15pm was:

1. Large Skipper 20-25
2. Meadow Brown 15-20
3. Dark Green Fritillary 16*
4. Speckled Wood 10-15
5. Common Blue 7
6. High Brown Fritillary 6*
7. Small Heath 5
8. Small Tortoiseshell 5
9. Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 3
10. Brown Argus 3

*In addition to the positively identified DG and HB Fritillaries, there were another 6 fly-bys whose identity I couldn't be certain of, meaning that 28 were seen in total on a fairly cool (albeit sunny) morning.

Saw my first Meadow Browns of the year (all male). They always look at their best when they first emerge. A lovely chocolate brown colour.

Nothing much doing on the exposed Down itself, but that all changed once I arrived at the lovingly created 'Fritillary Meadow' on the south facing side of the site.

As you would expect, Dark Greens were commoner (ratio of approx 3:1)

There were at least 4 High Browns in the meadow, vying for nectar sources with Dark Greens, and jousting on those occasions when their paths crossed!

Underside shots were tricky, but I got lucky when a freak gust of wind buffeted this Dark Green.

This was the best High Brown underside I could manage.

One last High Brown before I left (but there'll be plenty more in a fortnight when numbers should peak, seeing them spread to the Down itself like last year).
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Thanks Roger - will probably have to wait until 2012 then...
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Dave.

There is something about that Marbled White that looks slightly different, perhaps a greater than normal extent of white. It reminds me of some of the southern species of Marbled white (no personal experience but have seen illustrated in the literature). Is it a minor aberration I wonder?

Jack
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David,
sounds like that's a great site for the HBF, you certainly did better than me on that account. And there were no signs of Brown Argus either at my site. The amount of space is good and the flatness of the site is certainly a welcome break from my two sites (the first is quite tough on the legs and ankles as it's all on the side of a hill with many small stumps left from where they've been taken out). My legs this morning are very achey! :(
Perhaps you could either send me details of where your site is or we could meet up one day next weekend. Because it's near the railway line I guess it's quite near to the quarry down the B4265 / St Brides Road. The spot I go to is accessed via Wick Road down Heol y Stepsau - the open ground I went too (were I saw most of the DGF's yesterday) is probably the just the other side of the railway line to were you are, except there's no route across (for humans!). Even though Ewenny / St Brides / Old Castle Down is not a huge area it seems there's quite a few 'hot spots'. :)
Michael
NickB

Post by NickB »

Some great shots of the frits, guys. Over here in fritillary-free Cambs & Essex I visited the Roding Valley NR; did look perfect for Purple Hairstreak with lots of oak and also a few regenerating elms in the hedges but no White Letters. But is was a rather windy and cloudy day so had to settle for many Meadow Brown and Small and Large Skippers - in Essex but no Essex Skippers :lol: - and more Burnet moths than you could shake a stick at! The meadows are full of flowers! Did see a couple of Small Tortoiseshell and a fly-by Red Admiral and 2 Small White (I thought they might be Large until one of them settled and I got close enough to check...). Highlight was sitting by the river and watching a grass snake hunt through the cow-drink in front of me - magic!
Small Skipper - male
Small Skipper - male
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Burnet
Burnet
N
PS. There's a few Padfield's about.... :wink:
Sign_low_1_11th_June_2011.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Sightings”