American white admiral

Discussion forum for sightings.
Susie

American white admiral

Post by Susie »

Not sure if this should be in here or in general, mods please move if it is in the wrong place.

A friend of a friend on facebook showed me a photo of a butterfly today, which looks to me to be Limenitis arthemis arthemis, which wouldn't be unusual except that she is in Devon. I am not sure when the picture was taken but I am sure that it was in the UK. Do we ever get migrants coming across or would it be a captive released?

Thanks.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: American white admiral

Post by Padfield »

They never migrate here naturally - in fact, I don't think they've ever been recorded in the UK at all. It must either have been bred and released here or accidentally transported over as a pupa or adult.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Piers

Post by Piers »

Any pics available?
Last edited by Piers on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Susie
I have friends living in Buckfastleigh, and there are often exotic escapees from the local Butterfly House that are seen flying around the village.

I am not sure if American White Admiral is amongst the species kept there though.

As Piers so tactfuly put it - a photo would be useful.
HTH
Cheers

Roger
Susie

Post by Susie »

I am waiting to hear back with more info and will ask if I can share the photo. Obviously I can't pimp it without permission.
Piers

Post by Piers »

I'm glad you have a sense of humour Sooze :wink:

Arthemis arthemis looks so unlike anything that graces our shores I don't doubt your identification for a moment. An escapee of some form or another is the only plausible explanation.

It would be great to see the pic though if you're able to blag it.

Piers.

Return to “Sightings”