Surrey - best reserves

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
gazillion

Surrey - best reserves

Post by gazillion »

Hello,

i am on a trip this weekend to Bentley Wood and Blackmoor Copse near Salisbury to hopefully see some of the rarer species not common where I live (Cambs). I'm staying in Basingstoke on Saturday night so all of Sunday is dedicated to Wiltshire. On route I want to go through Surrey so I wondered if anyone has a reserve or park or wood they would recommend for beauty and best places for butterflies.

Or any reserves in Wiltshire I shouldn't miss?

Any help / comments would be greatly appreciated,

thanks, Leo
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Surrey - best reserves

Post by Pete Eeles »

gazillion wrote:Hello,

i am on a trip this weekend to Bentley Wood and Blackmoor Copse near Salisbury to hopefully see some of the rarer species not common where I live (Cambs). I'm staying in Basingstoke on Saturday night so all of Sunday is dedicated to Wiltshire. On route I want to go through Surrey so I wondered if anyone has a reserve or park or wood they would recommend for beauty and best places for butterflies.

Or any reserves in Wiltshire I shouldn't miss?

Any help / comments would be greatly appreciated,

thanks, Leo
Hi Leo - so what species are you expecting to see? I fear you're too late for some, and too early for others.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

Hello Pete, many thanks for the reply. And yes I've been getting worried I've timed this all wrong, but I was unable to do the last two weekends so have to try this - my main goal and reason for the Salisbury sites is the PBF and DoB, which I know I am pushing as its late - and if they emerged early this year then I might not see any.
So for Surrey sites on the way down, I am thinking Cobham Common looks a good bet for diversity. Really I want to find places that, if not quite at this time of year, are very good for butterflies so at least I'll have a chance. Or just nice places to discover and walk through, I'd like to hear what local people have as their favourite spots.

many thanks again, Leo
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Leo,

I think you're more-likely to find Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillary than PBFs. And I very much doubt you'll find a Duke. Silver-studded Blue are just starting to emerge, so you should be good for them at various sites. Black Hairstreak are also starting to emerge. If you have time, then you could get to Collard Hill to see Large Blue.

I don't know about Cobham Common.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Leo,

this may be a stupid suggestion, but have you looked at the site links on the top of the species bar menu at the main site - see links below?

that should give you a good starting point for many of the Surrey sites. Bookham Common, Chobham Common (I know Cobham is different). Noar Hill, not sure if it still counts as Surrey, is good for DoB's, but as has been stated - especially with the good spring weather - I think you'd be too late.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_ng ... pecies=All

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_ng ... pecies=All

Sorry I can't be of more help. Sometimes people do miss the sites menu on here!

Michael
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

thank you both for the replies. I am sad to have missed the DoB but something to aim for next year. But glad to hear the Silver Studded Blue is coming out, so Chobham Common would be a good bet. I excitedly read about the Large Blue last night, but I think Collard Hill is just a little too far. Others on my list are Marsh Fritillary and Adonis Blue of which there are sites near to Salisbury so I might have luck with them.

Michael - yes I have been using those menus to build a picture of where to go, and a brilliant resource they are. I want to hear from the community and what people are experiencing right now, and to hear what their favourite places are, as much as studying suitable places to visit.

Many thanks to both of you for the info and your time in helping. regards, Leo
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi there Leo,

I'm Epsom based and know a few Surrey sites. One 'tight' circuit could be Fairmile Heath (near Cobham, not Chobham) for Silver-studded Blues, nearby Bookham Common for fantastic woodland/glades/rides and good diversity of species, then off to the ZigZags slope of Boxhill for chalk grassland and stunning views and ending at Denbies Hillside for masses of blues including all those Adonis aberrations recorded recently.

Feel free to PM me if you want access/hotspots advice. Unfortunately I work the weekends so can't offer to show you around. I'm off on Friday though if you're free?

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I am sad to have missed the DoB but something to aim for next year
A few years back - after an early emergence, and warm, dry, spring, there was a tiny (possibly one individual) second brood at (IIRC) Noar Hill.
With the extraordinary spring this year, I reckon it will be worth looking for Dukes in late July, early August - you never know!
Cheers

Roger
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

Hello Gibster,

Thank you so much for your help and info. This sounds great - and just the kind of local knowledge I was after. Many thanks for your offer to show me around, if I'm ever in the area on a weekday I will ask if you are around. Right now to plan the route!

Thanks Roger - good to know there's still a chance later in the year!

many thanks, Leo
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

So I visited Denbies Hillside on Saturday 4th June, between 13:00 and 3:30pm roughly, but wasn't lucky enough to see an Adonis Blue. I spent a lot of time watching the grass on the hillside but just didn't see anything blue! Was I doing anything wrong? It was quite windy and the sun was really hot, I was wondering if the best time to see them would be earlier before the heat gets up, and then the evening when things are a bit cooler and calmer?

I did see a Dark Green Fritillary though which was the highlight and made the trip worth it. Also countless Meadow Browns, many small heaths and a good number of large skippers, and a couple of Brimstone. But nothing else out of the ordinary.

Also visited Cobham common which was a really interesting landscape but unfortunately didn't see any butterflies. Was there about 4:00pm - would this be too late in the day? I was in the section north of the M3 - is there any difference between the north and south sides?

So mixed results really which I suppose is the lot of the butterfly fanatic, but the landscape was lovely and I would recommend to anyone else thinking of visiting the area.

Leo
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Leo,

The only site you visit I know is Denbies but I am afraid that you are both too late and too early for the Adonis. There is usually something on the wing there during the day if you go down to the lower field though.
millerd

Post by millerd »

gazillion wrote:So I visited Denbies Hillside on Saturday 4th June, between 13:00 and 3:30pm roughly, but wasn't lucky enough to see an Adonis Blue. I spent a lot of time watching the grass on the hillside but just didn't see anything blue! Was I doing anything wrong? It was quite windy and the sun was really hot, I was wondering if the best time to see them would be earlier before the heat gets up, and then the evening when things are a bit cooler and calmer?

I did see a Dark Green Fritillary though which was the highlight and made the trip worth it. Also countless Meadow Browns, many small heaths and a good number of large skippers, and a couple of Brimstone. But nothing else out of the ordinary.

Leo
I was there at the same time as you, but not for all that long. I posted a photo here on the "June 2011" thread of what was probably the same DGF. There were Adonis on the lower slopes, but I only saw females, and they were not easy to pick up as they flew low and stopped frequently - probably laying eggs. I was with my six-year-old son, so not difficult to spot!

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Written on 2 June
Black Hairstreak are also starting to emerge
I would suspect that they are more or less over by now, 11th June. The recent - and welcome - rain might have proved the final straw for this year.

But a general point has to be made. If in doubt for any species, go early. I get far fewer failures by going early than I do by going late. And at risk of repeating, most species today emerge consistently earlier than they did 40 years ago and old books are now plain wrong. This year was of course exceptionally early although conceivably it might seem normal 40 years from now.

Jack

Return to “Field Trips and Events”