Butterfly or Moth goldie M

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Goldie M

Butterfly or Moth goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was at Rivington today and although the day was dull I saw two Moths or Butterflies, I've not seen these before. They were tiny so I assumed they were Moths, But, I'm not sure, does anyone know what they are please. Goldie :?:
Attachments
020.JPG
013.JPG
026.JPG
Last edited by Goldie M on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldie M

Re: Butterfly or Moth goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

More Pictures Goldie :?:
Attachments
007.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

If I can't get these identified on UKB, is there anywhere else I can go to Identify them :?: I've tried UK Months and the only thing that is similar to them is Cream Wave/ Scopula floslatata and the Scotch version is known to be darker. They must be moths, I can't find a Butterfly to match them. I thought they were Small Blue at first because of their size, but on a closer look they seem to have horn like things each side of their head has in picture 2.
I would be grateful if anybody has any Idea's, I'm off on my hols tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to go back and check on them. Goldie M :cry:
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Hi Goldie, looks like one of the Carpet family of moths from what little pattern can be seen in the head on shots, cant be too sure and I stand to be corrected ! May be common carpet ? Good luck with the Swallowtails !!

best wishes
Dave C (GRUMPY)
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

seconded on carpets.

Chris
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Silver-Ground Carpet for me (for the first one in the second set of images), seen so many recently, commonest moth around here so seen many undersides of it. One looks like it could be common carpet (second image of first set of images) if both are the same moth, then its Silver-Ground.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave, Grumpy, Chris, I've just got back from Norfolk, sorry I couldn't answer sooner. I was lucky Grumpy, I got some pic's of the SWT. Dave the pic's are all the same Moth so I'll call it the Silver Ground Carpet .Thanks again everyone :D Goldie

Return to “Identification”