Basics of larval rearing

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Matsukaze

Basics of larval rearing

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi All,

I have never tried rearing butterflies or moths before, but have a couple of dozen White Ermine eggs laid by a moth taken at light a week or so ago.

How do I go about rearing them? What sort of container should I keep them in, should I keep the container indoors or outdoors, how much foodplant should I keep there?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

In terms of "basics" - for native species I'd always recommend growing foodplant, situated outdoors. Depending on the species, either in sun, shade or mixed light.

I tend to put netting over a plant pot (with the foodplant in).

If that's not possible, then I use the "sleeving" method.

Another "basic" - is that you should only rear what you can support - so it's often a case of reducing the amount of livestock rather than increasing the amount of foodplant :)

Cheers,

- Pete
chitin

Re: Basics of larval rearing

Post by chitin »

Hear, Hear, I once had to cull 1000 Monarch larvae in order to get some through. ' cus there ain't none in the countryside :roll:
Dave McCormick

Re: Basics of larval rearing

Post by Dave McCormick »

Well two years ago I reared 2000+ White Ermine caterpillars to adult as the glasshouses they were in nearby were getting pulled down, and around 95% of them survived. My garden was white with the moths flying about after the adults hatched. Well I fed those on fairy toadflax which is abundant here, especially on and around the old walls.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”