Sites in the Forest of Dean

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Glostopcat

Sites in the Forest of Dean

Post by Glostopcat »

I'm planning on visiting the Forest of Dean on Friday with a friend does anyone know any good sites there where we can see the Wood White?
Willrow

Re: Sites in the Forest of Dean

Post by Willrow »

Can usually be found at Brierley (on the A4136 between Mitcheldean and Coleford) take the forestry track opposite the petrol station, go through first barrier on your left (you can park up at the clearing down the track). May take a bit of a search though. They can be found throughout the general area. This has been a very good Wood White year in other places so you may have some luck here. I hav'nt been to Brierley this year so cannot help regards their current status there. Hope this helps some.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Many thanks for that information, it is greatly appreciated. I'll probably try Cannop Bridges Marsh near Cannop Ponds where pearl bordered fritillaries can be found and the area around Woorgreens lake as well
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Your probably a bit too late for Pearl Bordered Fritillary now. However Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary are found at Brierley along with Grizzled Skipper. Cannop Valley Ponds area has Wood White but I've not had such good luck with the species there as compared to Brierley. But hey...you may be luckier than me!

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

I saw about half a dozen at Woodside last year, near Biblin's campsite.

Return to “Sites”