Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

I went back to Wrecclesham this morning before work to have another crack at the Glanvilles. I did a bit better than the other day. I also met some lovely chaps, two of whom view this forum (one posts too, hello EricY, it was a pleasure to meet you and your friend today and hope your butterflying holiday continues to be so successful. You should post your smashing photos on here).
249774_10150262132706972_584286971_8855419_5875087_n.jpg
246734_10150262126641972_584286971_8855320_2318430_n.jpg
247574_10150262133181972_584286971_8855421_6480103_n.jpg
248059_10150262130071972_584286971_8855385_1908629_n.jpg
249839_10150262127391972_584286971_8855334_5887717_n.jpg
250319_10150262128751972_584286971_8855362_6021998_n.jpg
I still haven't managed to get a decent under wing shot but I rather like this one even though it is out of focus! The only times I saw the underside of the wings was when the wind blew them up so I took my chance and clicked the shutter...
248164_10150262130991972_584286971_8855400_3734971_n.jpg

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely photos Susie :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Susie

Post by Susie »

They look very summery, don't they! :-)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Emperor moths are starting to turn green.
247379_10150263921966972_584286971_8870984_4883980_n.jpg
I went for a walk in Cranleigh at lunchtime. No sign of any black hairsteaks. There was an amazingly fresh and particularly beatiful small tortoiseshell though, common blue and small heath about.

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Great shots at Wrecclesham Susie.

I particularly like shot 4 with the sky and Ox Eye's in the background.

I take it was less windy this time.

Cheers Paul

Post by Susie »

Thank you, Paul. I always find it interesting to know which photos of mine people prefer.

Wednesday was still a bit blowy but at least it wasnt knocking me backwards. :-)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

My favourites were the same one as Paul and the one after it 8)

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Me too. I'm a sucker for blue sky in a picture! It gives the butterflies a lovely sense of freedom.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
EricY

Post by EricY »

Hi again Susie, lovely to meet you at the GF site on wednesday, it was the best day of the week on our little tour. super photo's of the GF's you got. I would like to post photos on UKB but have still not yet found out how to do it. I have tried a couple of times with no success, I guess my old brain needs a "retread" lol. Eric

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hii Eric,

I am sure someone on here can help you with your photos should you wish them to. They really were good.

Hope to bump into you another time,

Susie.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

EricY wrote:I would like to post photos on UKB but have still not yet found out how to do it. I have tried a couple of times with no success, I guess my old brain needs a "retread" lol. Eric
When you make a post, look at the "Upload attachment" tab further down the page. This is what you need to use to upload photos.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

My only sighting today was a pair of small tortoiseshells courting over the bypass near home. Yesterday I saw another small tortoiseshell and a small white.

Susie

Post by Susie »

I'm watching Unsprung and the quizz is driving me mad! My guess is jay, blue tit, chafinch but I don't know the last one, maybe great spot?

Small torts, large white and a red admiral in the garden today.

It felt like silver washed fritally weather this morning but i'm yet to see one.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Today I did a bit of exploration of new territory looking for butterflies having seen a link on Facebook from Michael Blencowe about the Sussex BC. We didn't find much but there looks to be some good areas here to explore in a few weeks.

This afternoon I went to Southwater Woods having red that white admiral were out at Bookham. I didn't find any WA, PE or SWF but there were meadow browns, speckled wood, loads of large skippers, common blue, a small tortoiseshell, a red admiral, a white of some description and a brown argus. The flowers are starting to come out in the meadow now so I plonked myself down amongst them and was just enjoying being there when I received a visitor, luckily I had the camera set to video mode.

(video to follow).

Susie

Post by Susie »

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150269359601972[/video]

I saw a buck on the way out of the woods too.

NickB

Post by NickB »

Bambi? Dinner! :twisted:
N

"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

I'm very partial to a bambi steak too.

Two small whites today in Goring and a small tort in the back garden.

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I recently had a roadkill rabbit stew, best stew i ever had. :D I dunno why we are buying meat, when its being killed for us by traffic. I don't advocate swerving to achieve this, but if you see a rabbit that's had its lot. Why not stop, and pick it up,,,, same goes for pheasants.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Zonda wrote: same goes for pheasants.
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! Theres some old Law that states it's poaching if you hit and kill a pheasant then pick it up for 'the pot'. But if your mate in the car behind picks it up, well - that's technically ok! :D

Which is exactly what happened to me a few years ago. My mate duly strung the bird up until near-rotten then invited me around for roast pheasant with all the trimmings. Except every bone had shattered and the whole carcass was rendered inedible for fear of choking. The sprouts were nice though...

My only other pheasant/car story involves three mates in a car, a pheasant shoots out across the road, straight in through the open side window and ended up on the lap of the chap in the back seat. Apparently true!

Sorry Susie, you can have your Diary back now. :oops: Good luck with those early WA/PE/SWF hunts!

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

You carry on, most entertaining! :lol:

I wouldn't eat road kill rabbit around here, there is far too much myxi about. I saw a poor old bunny yesterday running around in the road, eyes are swollen and shut. :(

Your pheasant story reminds me of something that happened a few years back. I had a new car and was driving along when a song thrust shot out into the road a couple of feet off the ground in front of me. There was no way I could avoid it so I carried on, I checked the rear view mirror and a couple of feathers were floating around. Saddened I carried on my journey. When I arrived at my destination I heard a noise from under the bonnet, look in through the grill and saw a pair of beady eyes looking back at me! I took out the handbook to find out how to open the bonnet (honestly!) and there was the thrush sitting deep down in the engine. :shock: Eventually it flew out, a bit ruffled but seemingly okay. :D

I've seriously thought about picking up fresh deer I've seen killed by the roadside, never quite been brave enough to do it.

Return to “Personal Diaries”