April 2011 competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Steve W

Re: April 2011 competition

Post by Steve W »

I didn't manage to enter or vote this month but I much preferred the old voting system. In the current system every time I entered I always rated every image and unless all do this it doesn't seem a fair system.

Is it possible for everyone to have 5 or even 10 votes with perhaps one double vote for the outstanding image? That way the vote is fairer and chances of getting nil points is lower, although it will still occur.

Steve
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

FISHiEE wrote:I did study statistics
You obviously wasn't very good at it. :lol:

If we had of used that system, Julian would jump from 4th too 1st, and Paul would go all the way from 9th too 4th. :?

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

That's exactly my point. They are the ones that have lost out by some people not voting on all the images.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

So someone who attracts less votes, and gets far less points can win, hmm sounds a bit like the Lib Dem push AV. :lol:

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

They're only getting less votes because not everyone is voting the same way. That's the whole point. The average eradicates that problem(I'm not going to explain it again), as would somehow making everyone vote in the same way.

I will have to stop soon as I'm getting too much brick dust in my eyes now :lol:
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I know what your saying Fishster, I'm just not buying into it that's all. :wink:

In a perfect would, I would like to see a 1st 2nd 3rd vote, extended too a top 5 if there were over 40 entrants. And anyone who takes the time to enter, but not the time to vote, gets disqualified, but we don't have the technology Jim. :(

Regards Gruditch
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Ah well, I gave it my best :lol:

It's fair to say you guys have done an excellent job to provide what we have up to now, and it can't be that bad or nobody would be taking part. Have to say things looked a bit dodgy with very low entries for the set subjects over the winter, but thankfully things look to have returned to normality for the butterfly season.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Also, one thing that came up today... where are the instructions telling people how to vote? I was speaking with someone earlier today who didn't realise you could vote on images. I was going to show them the instructions on how to vote but couldn't find any. I found the instructions on how to upload, view, edit etc. but not how to vote.

I talked the person in question through what to do, so in future they should be fine, but wonder if there are many others in the same boat and that's why lots don't vote?
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Gruditch wrote:So someone who attracts less votes, and gets far less points can win, hmm sounds a bit like the Lib Dem push AV. :lol:

Regards Gruditch
Hehe what a bad example to choose.

The system where more people vote against the eventual winner is exemplified by recent FPTP performance, not by AV. In AV the winner has to get >50% of the vote, therefore the majority. The last election rather uniquely produced a majority goverment (i.e. one which obtained >50% of the votes cast) and that only happened because of a coalition.

2005 - Labour won with 9,552,436 (35% of vote - 65 % voted against)
2001 - Labour won with 10,724,953 (38 % of vote - 62 % voted against)
1997 - Labour won with 13,518,167 (43 % of vote - 57 % voted against)
1992 - Tory won with 14,093,007 (42 % of vote - 58 % voted against)

You have to go back to 1931 as our last true majority government,

Sorry, sore loser rant mode off...

Bill

Return to “Competitions”