Good Year for Grizzled Skipper?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Good Year for Grizzled Skipper?

Post by Willrow »

I've been wondering if you guys and gals are seeing more Grizzled Skippers this year than in more recent past years. On a personal level I've seen very healthy numbers, into double figures at several locations where in the past I might have struggled to find them in low single figures. Perhaps it's down to the exceptional April weather we had, but this May has been rather less kind here in South Wales, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire yet the numbers are still encouraging. The wind in particular has kept the grizzlies grounded, making them tough to locate, but I've still managed to find them in double numbers.

A week or so ago on Ewyas Harold Common, Near Abergavenny, I managed to find with some concentrated searching a dozen or so in awfully difficult windy and chilly conditions, it made me wonder how many I would have managed in calm and sunny weather (ah! the very thought makes me drool :P ). Anyway, back to this topics question, are there more Grizzled Skippers where you are this year?
Attachments
Pointing the way ahead for a healthy future for all grizzlies.
Pointing the way ahead for a healthy future for all grizzlies.
Even after being wind battered this grizzly is still looking good.
Even after being wind battered this grizzly is still looking good.
A lull in the wind offered the chance of this side shot.
A lull in the wind offered the chance of this side shot.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Re: Good Year for Grizzled Skipper?

Post by David M »

Pearl Bordered Fritillaries and Grizzled Skippers seem to be the principal beneficiaries of the amazingly warm April we had this year.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Agree David, Pearl-bordered Fritillary have been recorded from Worcestershire for the first time in over 30 years, all the sites I've visited have been pleasingly good :)

As regards Grizzled Skipper, in the areas I mention above all sites appear highly encouraging. Discussing the species status with the Gwent/Monmouthshire County Butterfly Recorder last week - I suggested that it might well be a species that is overlooked/under recorded - and coincidentally a few days later I heard of a grizzly being found (potentially a new colony) in a very unlikely location in the Gwent Valleys. It's a rather discrete little butterfly that is easily lost to sight and then possibly forgotten about, unless you know it's jizz.

Still like some feed back regards the current status of the species from other parts of our fair isles though!
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Indeed. It's probably the hardest butterfly to spot and track given its size, colouring and behaviour. Even when it is spotted I daresay alot of people might mistake it for a moth.

Return to “Sightings”