Butterfly Habits

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Goldie M

Butterfly Habits

Post by Goldie M »

Iv'e been a few places resently and noticed that the butterflies, when not on the flowers have sought cover in the long grass are even amongst the leaves on the ground, for instance in a meadow I was in I saw a Green Veined White suddenly disapear amongst the grasses, another time it was a Peacock, then when I was up at Gaits Barrow the Small Pearl Borderd Frit was doing the same thing. I wondered if this was because of the weather we've had lately or what. On the day I saw the GVW and the Peacock the weather was lovely, I thought maybe they were egg laying. Does anybody know :?:

The SPBF looked like it had not been out of it's Chrisalis very long, it was shaking it's wings quite alot has if it was drying them, then it flew to a flower then disapeared into the moss or rough chips that were on the ground. I've put a pic up to show to give an idea of the surroundings. Goldie M :?
Attachments
Small Pearl Borderd Fritillary GB 18th May 2011 012.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Butterfly Habits

Post by Padfield »

Hi Goldie,

I think different species do this for different reasons. Some will seek shade in the heat of the day. Some lay eggs on plants found low down among the vegetation. Many species will drop down before a storm and others will look for nutrients there - bird droppings or larger animal droppings. It's always worth watching and noting the conditions, the sex of the butterfly &c. - it is amazing how much you can learn just by keeping your eyes open.

For the record, your picture shows a pearl-bordered fritillary!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Here is a Brimstone ovipositing yesterday and then the same insect taking a rest out of the wind.
Brimstone ovipositing
Brimstone ovipositing
Brimstone1.jpg (43.15 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Resting
Resting
Brimstone2.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you both, I was just suprised to see the Butterfly disapear into the vegitation completely. I always thought they laid their eggs on Plants like your pic shows John R.
Thanks for mentioning my pic was wrong, Padfield, :oops: the spots didn't seem to be inverted towards the centre too much so I assumed this was a SPB, so much for thinking you've finally got it sorted :) They can be confusing, I thought I was doing ok since I checked UK Butterflies ...Similar. Tell me, is this a SPB because I'm convinced it is :) Hope I'm right Goldie :roll:
Attachments
Small Pearl Borderd Fritillary GB 18th May 2011 009.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! it's Goldie again this one had just emerged from the undergrowth, can you tell what it is PB or SPB :? Goldie
Attachments
Small Pearl Borderd Fritillary GB 18th May 2011 015.JPG
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Goldie M,
That's another PBF. It can be a bit confusing to begin with, but once you get the 'rules' firmly set in your mind it will eventually become much easier! Look at the base of this page for pointers http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... ies=selene
Neil
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, I feel daft now, I was counting the the dots etc, I'm still not too sure, my confidence as absconded :lol:
How about this one Goldie :?
Attachments
Small Pearl Borderd Fritillary GB May 18th 2011 035.JPG
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Goldie M,
Yep SPBF! :D :D :D :D :D
Neil
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At Last! It was sheer luck that I posted the right one in my diary last time I wrote . I was beginning to think I'd not taken any pic's of the SPB on my journey to Gaits Barrow, I'm really pleased now and I'm sure, well! nearly sure I'll get it right next time. This is what I like about this Webb site , you can ask questions and get answers, see other peoples points of view and put your own oppinions forward. Thanks again Neil and every one .
I'm off to Norfolk in a fortnight looking for Swallow Tails at least I'll know them when I see them Goldie :D

Return to “General”