May 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Rogerdodge

Re: May 2011

Post by Rogerdodge »

My Bonxie attack happened on Shetland (Hermaness) when I wndered too close to a nest. It circled around, and came at me flat out three times - actually knocking my hat off on his last pass. They are a big bird!
I have also been to Handa - amazing place with Arcctic Skua and Bonxie in good numbers, Red-throated Divers on the lochens, and loads of approachable auks on the cliffs - blissful place.
I used to be proud of a Farne Comic Tern pooh stain on the focussing ring of my 180 macro, but a service saw a new rubber installed :(
I've also had a rutting Red Stag snort and paw the ground at me, and - a more gentle wildlife encounter - a puffin fall asleep resting on my boot!
Cheers

Roger
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

I had a close encounter with a Bonxie near the Old Man of Hoy in the Orkneys. I had my cagoule above my head but still required a dive in the heather to avoid a bonk on the head. We were too close to its chick which we soon moved away from.

I have two scars on my head from Arctic Terns on the Farnes. I stupidly ignored the advice to wear a hat. They're only smallish birds with no weight behind them. How wrong can you be. They pack a mean punch. It's like having a nail hammered into your skull. I'll definitely wear a hat next time.
Cheers Paul

Post by Michaeljf »

Rogerdodge wrote:En-route, I got attacked by an Exmoor Pony stallion. It seems I had wandered too close to a new born foal hiding in the heather.
The stallion galloped up to me, brayed and, teeth bared, it reared up on it's hind legs and slashed at me with it's front hooves just missing my head!
Bloody terryfying.
Roger,
So I guess you didn't get a photo then? :shock: :wink: Just as well it wasn't worse. It would have been a bit of a surpise to all of us if we'd heard about it on the national News tonight..'Butterfly photographer in hospital tonight after pony attack on Exmoor' :roll:
Michael

p.s. If it's any consolation, the weather hasn't been much better here today!
Susie

Post by Susie »

You have to suffer for your art. :wink:
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:
Rogerdodge wrote:En-route, I got attacked by an Exmoor Pony stallion. It seems I had wandered too close to a new born foal hiding in the heather.
The stallion galloped up to me, brayed and, teeth bared, it reared up on it's hind legs and slashed at me with it's front hooves just missing my head!
Bloody terryfying.
Roger,
So I guess you didn't get a photo then? :shock: :wink: Just as well it wasn't worse. It would have been a bit of a surpise to all of us if we'd heard about it on the national News tonight..'Butterfly photographer in hospital tonight after pony attack on Exmoor' :roll:
Michael

p.s. If it's any consolation, the weather hasn't been much better here today!
Frightening stuff!

I always try to keep a safe distance away from large animals (be they cows, horses, sheep or goats). Small creatures don't bother me (snakes, lizards, wasps) because at least you ain't gonna get killed.

I'll be honest, I gave the wild goats a wide berth on Brean Down yesterday just in case.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Extreme butterflying - no surprise to find Roger at the forefront!
Lucky escape! And people think it is a genteel hobby!
No such traumas for me today; didn't find much...highlight a CB female...
CB_f_3_low_Totternhoe_20th_May_2011.jpg
CB_f_5_low_Totternhoe_20th_May_2011.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

My camera was delivered this morning so I thought I'd take it out this afternoon for a practise. It was very cloudy so nothing about. The sun came out when I got back to my garden and I saw something orange shoot past me and settle on the catmint. It was my first large skipper of the year.
I then spent so long trying to work out modes, zoom and focus all I got was a blurred picture! I did manage to get a few nice pictures of the bees on the catmint.
midpro

Post by midpro »

Forest of Dean: 19 May 2011

On Thursday in sunny but cool conditions (16 degrees) small pearl-bordered fritillaries and wood whites still showing well

In a two-hour search near New Fancy View and then Brierley
6+ small pearl-bordered fritillary
9+ wood white
small copper
common blue
green-veined white
small white
peacock
speckled wood
burnet companion
broad-bodied chaser
hornet

Mark
Attachments
SPBF3.jpg
SPBF4.jpg
ww.jpg
hornet2 small.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

"Parkhurst Forest is a woodland to the north-west of Newport, Isle of Wight (United Kingdom).
The site is partly a site of special scientific interest. It consists of both ancient woodland, relict heathland and plantation woodland. The woodland is freehold owned and managed by the Forestry Commission. It is 395 hectares in area and the second largest forest on the Isle of Wight. It is open to the public." (Wikipedia)
Why is it that I always come away disappointed from Parkhurst Forest. Is it the serried ranks of factory farmed conifers? or the large wastelands planted up with more conifers? or the dark interior? or the lack of butterflies?
I am sure the Forestry Commission have plans to improve the bio-diversity but at the moment for pearl -bordered fritillaries where this was the only site on the IOW it appears to be RIP. :(
This afternoon in glorious sunshine with no wind- almost perfect butterfly weather- in an hour's walk through the Forest I saw two butterflies- a common blue and a small heath. And my team lost in the Blue Square Premier play-offs! :shock:
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Saturday 21st May 2011

The weather forecast for South Wales wasn’t good, so we decided to head East and visited Bernwood Meadows and Bernwood Forest near Horton-Cum-Studley (Oxfordshire): with so many species flying unusually early, maybe I would get lucky with Hairstreaks? Well, to cut a long story short - no, I wouldn’t get lucky :( . However Oxfordshire was sunny :) (albeit a bit windy) and there were plenty of Common Blues and some Brown Argus in the meadows. The Orchids aren’t out in the meadow yet (apart from a few) so there are only buttercups and some Yellow-Rattle flowers out so far. Walking into Bernwood Forest we again saw Common Blues, many Speckled Woods and a few whites and a few Cinnabar Moths. Walking back to the car via Bernwood Meadows I also saw my first Large Skipper of the year, and there were also several Yellow-Tail moth caterpillars amongst the Blackthorn.

We then went to Whitecross Green Wood. This reserve grows on me more every time I visit it! The wild flowers have been let grow in the reserve with just a one two-track mower through the reserve making a path for walkers – some excellent management (in my mind). There was a good selection of wild flowers there (still plenty of Bugle, Yellow Rattle, Buttercups, Cinquefoil, Red Clover, Dog Rose etc). There were a few more species here, including a couple of Brimstones, plenty of Common Blues, Brown Argus, some Large Whites and quite a few Grizzled Skippers - in nice condition, that I wasn’t expecting to see :mrgreen: . I didn’t see any early Hairstreaks but I did find a Figure-of-Eight moth caterpillar on the Blackthorn and also there were quite a few Lackey Moth Caterpillars wandering along the main paths. The good news was that the weather held up very nicely for the afternoon, whereas Wales was under a cloud when we got home. And it looks like the weather in Wales is going to be wet & grey tomorrow. Roll on summer! :roll: :?

Michael

Yellow-Tail moth caterpillars were quite common in Bernwood Meadows on the Blackthorn

Back into Bernwood Forest there were a few Cinnabar Moths flying along with the Common Blues.

There were quite a few Speckled Woods. Yes, I know they're common but they're still welcome!

Walking through Bernwood Meadows to the Car I saw my first Large Skipper of the year.

Whitecross Green Wood - nicely looked after, with plenty of wild-flowers. And sunshine!

Quite a few Grizzled Skippers in Whitecross Green Wood that I wasn't expecting.

No sign of Hairstreaks - but there was a quite fat, Figure-of-Eight Moth Caterpillar feeding off the Blackthorn....
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Myself, my husband and 8 year old daughter went for a long walk to Cary marsh today. Thought it would give me a good opportunity to get use to my camera.
The footpath was covered in buttercups, red clover and common vetch. Lots of common blues about, a few brown argus, orange tips, speckled woods, large skippers and one small copper.
A few pics from today

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Had a really good day out with Sami and Lee Hurrell today. Lee started with the Wrecclesham Glanvilles before we met him at Fairmile Heath, which was very poor with just 3 Green Hairstreaks, 1 Large White and 2 Downy Emerald Dragonflies. Not a sniff of the hoped-for Silver-studded Blues. Not a very illustrious start to our inaugural meeting!

Luckily for us Lee had a plan...Sussex. First up was Park Corner Wood which gave us plenty of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary action as well as a Grizzled Skipper ab taras, another Green Hairstreak, a few Brimstones and Speckled Yellows, Emperor Dragonflies (one caught a SPBF!) and Broad-bodied Chasers.

Next it was Windover Hill where we had maybe 30 Small Blues around the car park area and up the track towards the summit. A few Adonis Blues and Dingy Skippers kept us company during the ascent. The view from the top was breathtaking (literally!) and full marks to Sam who pointed out a mystery raptor low overhead - it was a Honey Buzzard! We watched it head slowly northwards towards Arlington Reservoir, being harassed by crows as it went.

Good to finally meet up with Lee, a very enjoyable day out for us. None of us had seen Grizzled Skipper ab taras before and the Honey Buzzard was new for Lee and Sam.

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Wales was again cloudy and cool yesterday and with the weather getting better the further east you travel I decided to devote an entire day to butterflying in the sunshine!

I decided I'd jump on the Wrecclesham band wagon and go and see the Glanvilles there. I arrived just after 9am whereupon I got chatting to two guys who'd just finished their photography, neither of whom were members of this forum but both had heard of it.

As others have mentioned, the GFs seem to be at their most abundant amongst the patches of Ox-Eye Daisies, though I did see the occasional one at the northern and southern extremeties of the field, as well as one individual on the other side of the bank at the southern end (a Green Hairstreak was spotted here too).

I stayed for about an hour and a quarter and the species seen were:

1. Glanville Fritillary 20-30
2. Large Skipper 10-15
3. Common Blue 5-10
4. Speckled Wood 2
5. Orange Tip 1
6. Green Hairstreak 1
7. Brown Argus 1

Site viewed from the bank at the southern end looking towards the railway line

By 9.30am the Glanvilles were getting pretty active

Large Skippers are on the wing too

Found these two using Ox-Eye Daisies as a Four Poster!!

The undersides are the most attractive of all British Fritillaries for me
David M

Post by David M »

After leaving Wrecclesham, I headed to Norfolk as I wanted to bask in 22C temperatures as well as see some Swallowtails.

As I arrived at Wheatfen, the thermometer did indeed read 22C, and with just 10% cloud cover and fairly light winds the conditions were near perfect for butterflies.

Wheatfen is like an oasis of green in an otherwise fairly arid landscape, and though I didn't see any Swallowtails here, I thoroughly enjoyed my circuit of this site. The grass was lush and springy and the smell of the water and the plant life was very pleasant indeed. There were several Brimstones and 3 Red Admirals seen.

I still had time to visit Strumpshaw as it was only 3.30pm, although it was frustrating having to do a 10 mile detour via the A47 just to cross the River Yare. :x

Strumpshaw was a little more exposed than Wheatfen, and I was concerned that with the wind having a considerable effect the Swallowtails might be sheltering in the fen grasses. However, as I turned to walk down the western ride I could see a group of people excitedly kneeling down and furiously taking photographs. Sure enough, it was a Swallowtail that was the reason for their excitement, and for the next half hour I remained to watch this individual patrolling up and down a 40 yard stretch of this ride, settling regularly and allowing everyone to get close and observe it. Another one flew by and settled further up, and these two insects were the source of great delight to everyone who walked by. Every single person stopped and hung around for a few minutes to watch these magnificent butterflies.

On the way back to the car park, there were two more Swallowtails in Martin George's garden, and to round things off, a woodpecker on the bird feeder by reception!

I've never seen such enthusiasm for a butterfly - everyone who passed stopped to take a look (even the children)

This was the source of everyone's (understandable) excitement.

The butterfly was extremely tolerant of people getting close to it

Another individual couldn't resist the blooms in Martin George's garden

To round things off, a Woodpecker was busy on the feeder at the entrance to the fen
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Langdon Hills with members of Cambridge/Essex group. Several Grizzled Skippers, and a couple of green Hairstreaks and common Blue. Also a Mother Shipton, and a number of Burnet Companions.

Rich
Grizzled Skipper Langdon 22 May 2011 (2).JPGcrop.jpg
Green Hairstreak Langdon 22 May 2011 (15).JPGcrop.jpg
Burnet Companion moth Langdon 22 May 2011 (4).JPGcrop.jpg
P1060500.JPGcrop.jpg
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Heart-warming to see the whole family enjoying that swallowtail, David! I've only once seen British swallowtails, when I was a boy, accompanying my father on a delivery trip around craft markets in Norfolk. The memory will stay for ever.

Your grizzled skipper is seriously lacking in some spots, Rich! In s1a (the bottom space on the hindwing) there should be a prominent white spot between the basal and submarginal ones. There should be another strong white spot towards the base of s.5. It's an interesting individual!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Sunday 22nd May – back to Aberbargoed..

The forecast wasn’t great, so first off we headed eastward from Cardiff to the Forest of Dean (Lower Milkwall near Coleford), where I’d seen Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries in 2010. We got to the site just in time for the heavens opening, but soon the clouds rolled on and we were greeted by sunny but extremely windy conditions, but also, no sign of any SPBF’s. I’m guessing they’ve either been lost from the site or they are later than those currently at Ewenny (west of Cardiff). There were a few Small Coppers, Small Heaths and a newly hatched Small Tortoiseshell. We decided to cut our losses in the Forest of Dean and give Aberbargoed Grasslands (Caerphilly Borough) another visit despite the fact most of South Wales was suffering from heavy winds. While driving back through FoD we saw an extremely large bird-of-prey pass in front of the car. It looked more like an Eagle than a common buzzard! I guess we’ll never know.. :|

About an hour later and some time after mid-day we arrived back at Aberbargoed – approaching the village from the edge of the Brecon Beacons (I hadn’t realised how close this site is to the Beacons National Park). Luckily, the sun was out :) , but the wind was still going at it pretty hard :roll: ! The Marsh Fritillaries had ventured out from the main fallow field from the previous week onto the edges of the more cultivated part of the reserve, but the most were still in the grassy area. They would appear with every break in the cloud, along with a few Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries. We ventured into a further field where orchids were coming through. The clouds came over again :cry: , and then went again :) , so we ventured back into the main grasslands fields and again watched the Marsh Fritillaries take some nectar from the Lousewort flowers and occasionally the Bluebells. Most of the butterflies were still in good condition, and there was also an aberrant individual which was difficult to photograph in the wind. I’m glad we visited Aberbargoed again as I probably won’t get another chance now until mid or late summer. I think the reserve is a hidden gem. :mrgreen:

Michael

Marsh Fritillaries at Aberbargoed have ventured into the edges of the more cultivated section of the reserve.

An aberrant Marsh Fritillary. Difficult to photograph in the strong winds!

A few Small Pearl-Bordered Fritilaries were venturing into the grasslands, often nectaring from Bluebells (Bluebells not shown!)

Some lovely Orchids are flowering particularly in the edges of the reserve.

Back in the Grasslands the Fritillaries are now nectaring from the Lousewort.

View to the gate from the main grasslands field (lousewort at front of picture) Cloud coming over again..

A Marsh Fritillary soaking up the last rays of sun before we leave.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Aberbargoed Grasslands a hidden gem it most certainly is Michael! Try to get back in a week or two when the Spotted Heath Orchid are out in profusion, usually the Marsh Fritillary and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary coincide to peak alongside the orchids, it's a wonderful experience, especially with some sunshine on your back 8) . Incidentally I've seen several similar Marsh Fritillary abberations over the years at the grasslands, but you have to look very hard, hav'nt seen any for a few years now though, even last year when we had record numbers I saw none, it's good to see they can still be found, may pop over tomorrow and see if I can find it...well done...glad you posted!
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Willrow wrote:it's a wonderful experience, especially with some sunshine on your back 8)
Hi Willrow,
I had the sunshine on my back this afternoon, except I also had a 30mph wind on my front at the same time! :wink: That sounds lovely with both butterflies and the Orchids at their peak in the same spell. Whether I can get back up there within the next 2-3 weeks depends partly on if we can get good weather on the weekends, plus I'll be away next weekend visiting Norfolk /and family. And we're still waiting for that 2 week blast of sunshine that the tabloids forecast! Once again, the fact that the reserve is a success must be down to some hard work that has been put into it, and of course the butterflies! :)
Michael
millerd

Post by millerd »

On Friday afternoon, I visited Wrecclesham on a detour from a trip down to Dover for the weekend. As well as the Glanvilles, copiously illustrated elsewhere with photos better than mine, I was impressed by the amount of Bird's-foot Trefoil and Rock Rose growing there, and was not surprised to see a lot of Common Blues and Brown Argus. There were also several Large Skippers whizzing around like brilliant orange darts and picking on the Fritillaries wherever possible. Despite the mostly cloudy (and quite windy) conditions, I saw at least 20 Glanvilles and they are indeed lovely creatures. I'm afraid I can't get too worked up either way about whether they should be there or not, but having spent the weekend in Dover, it struck me that a more justifiable place to reintroduce this species to the mainland would be aong the Kent coastline where once it actually did fly.

Returning today from Dover, another detour was in order, this time to East Blean Woods to the north of Canterbury. The clearing immediately adjacent to the car park held around 20 Heath Fritillaries, many of which had given up battling the wind and were settling down for the night on various stalks. I also encountered Gibster and Sami, whom I'd not met before and are absolutely splendid people. Some photos of the butterflies follow. Those of a genteel disposition should be warned that the last photo contains scenes of a graphic nature...

Dave
Attachments
Perched on cow wheat
Perched on cow wheat
Basking in late sunshine
Basking in late sunshine
Settled down for the night
Settled down for the night
The Tiffany lamp effect
The Tiffany lamp effect
"X"-rated
"X"-rated