Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

After all the recent long weekends where did this one go? I barely got started and now it's back to work for a week :( Still decided to risk having a look for the blessed Duke over at Bentley Wood. Got there nice and early to try and find some Small Pearls for underwing shots and I realised that I was a bit too early as the cloud cover was so thick. Instead watched a Tree Pipit display over the eastern clearing, a pair of Garden Warblers having a scrap and 3 Muntjac Deer in the more conifer plantation area at the back. It was there that I found the first butterfly of the day a male Orange-tip looking very drenched and not at all happy. Then there were plenty of Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, most looking faded and one aberrant with the marking fused together on the upper wing.
Moved back to the eastern clearing and there were Frits eveywhere - the Small Pearl Bordered seemed much brighter and more contrasting in colour than the Pearls.
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Another butterfly watcher had found the Duke so I hung around there and drank coffee while waiting for the sun to finally come out and stay on strong. There were a few more Frits around, Large and Small White and alos lots of Lizards basking, there were four on one stump at on point.
086 - Copy.JPG
As is often the way I was just thinking about having to head home when the sun finally came out and stayed out. I managed to find a Grizzled Skipper and Crab Spider and started heading homewards. Only for another butterfly watcher to let me know that there was a Duke about so I kept my eyes open and there it was. Managed to fire off a load of shots and it was very obliging - even giving me a peak of it's underwing.
126 - Copy.JPG
112 - Copy.JPG
:D
So headed home happy - last year I finished my book with a list of target species - and so far I have got shots of three of them - next on the list Silver Studded Blue or should I go all out for Glanville Fritillary?

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Glad you found him :) and photos as well. Happy Butterflying.
Shirley

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterfly Conservation & RSPB - Member
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Shirley! It was good to cach up with the Duke at Bentley Wood as it will save me a fortune on petrol (very good for the environment too!) :D . Unfortunetly I didn't take my daughters as I was worried about them getting bored and then haring around in the underground trampling who knows what - as it was I had to search/wait for about 3 hours! Still now that I I've got my eye in and the pressure of getting a photo is off I'm sure that I'll be able to locate them next year for the girls (who will hopefully be more patient by them).

Sorry again for blocking your diary for a couple of days - but hopefully the debate it started will produce a policy or practice that will help to protect butterflies better in the future :D

Have a goodun and be lucky!

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I had a morning off at Martin Down. So I started at the Sillens Lane end and wandered up the hill. There were Small Blue everywhere - at one point there were 8 individuals flying round a dog turd! I managed to get lots of shots and that started me on the old problem of sexing them. Some had obvious blue scales on their wings so were males but finding one without the blue scales that was a female was really tricky - I think I got a photo of one but I'm not sure...
A certain male
A certain male
Is that a female?
Is that a female?
Finally I made it to the top of the hill, having encountered Small Heath, Common Blue, plenty more Small Blue, a couple of Adonis males, Brown Argus, lots of Grizzled and Dingy Skipper and a single, solitary Small Copper. I couldn't believe how many Skippers there were about, after Small Blue they seemed to be the next most common species. There was one individual who was in a right state, with wings folded right round it's body all crumpled up so badly that it couldn't fly it could just hop like a grasshopper.
Grasshopper or Grizzled Skipper?
Grasshopper or Grizzled Skipper?

I worked my way down Borkerley Ditch and the sun went in so it went very quiet. When it came out so did the butterflies - lots of brillent Common Blue and Adonis Blues (a couple of them had dark marks on the upper wings and folded wing parts) and eventually a Green Hairstreak. I did manage to get a photo but it was a pretty bad one as it wasn't just sitting in a bush but was nestled in amongst the grass. Then I checked the haunt from last year for another Green Hairstreak but no more luck. Instead got some more Adonis shots including some females including an individual with a deformed wing.
Male Adonis
Male Adonis
Folded wing or aberrant?
Folded wing or aberrant?
The girls are back from Nanny and Dad-dads so not sure where I'll be tomorrow, have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I took the family to Stourhead again today and it was very quiet butterfly wise. There was a dragonfly on the path - I don't know whether it was on it's last legs but I couldn't leave it where it was so I moved it to a large leaf at the edge of the path. As it clung to my finger I took a few photos so I could try and identify it when we got back. Unfortunately I don't have any books on dragonflies so any help would be gratefully recieved.
Any ideas what species this is?
Any ideas what species this is?
At the top of the hill in the woodland walk and the garden behind the house there was much more butterfly activity with a single Red Admiral holding court on a cut tree stump, Speckled Woods seemed to be defending every tree edge, 2 Common Blue males having a scrap right the way across the lawn and back and back again. There were also numerous whites - most seemed to be Small Whites (judged by size and also the much fainter black on the wing tips) as well as a few GV Whites.
GV White
GV White
Well back to work tomorrow - will the Glanvilles still be about next week...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It looks like a downy emerald dragonfly (Cordulia aenea) to me.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Guy- it's certainly a snazzy sounding name :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

I would imagine first legs rather than last legs for the dragonfly, it looks in mint condition.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Last year I used Blurb to put my first years worth of photos into a book which I finished with...
"The target species are Purple Emperor, White Letter Haistreak, Silver Studded Blue, Glanville Fritillary, Marsh Fritillary, Lulworth Skipper and Duke of Burgundy...oh and Orange-tip!"

So having spent the last 2 months (just a slight exaggeration there!) reading about nothing but Glanville Fritillaries; plus photographing 3 other target species already and it being far to early for the others; I decided to try and find some Glanvilles, and I did (even though it was a hell of a long drive :evil: )! They are just stunning and for my money have the best underwing markings of the entire family. I loved the way that they would flick and glide over the vegetation at the edge of the path :D , but hated the way that they could just disappear as quickly. :evil:
030 - Copy.JPG
012 - Copy.JPG
022 - Copy.JPG
042 - Copy.JPG
I also saw plenty of what I think are Cream Spot Tiger and a very blue female Common Blue. Great days...I suppose next will be Silver Studded?
113 - Copy.JPG
117 - Copy.JPG
Cheers and have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Visited a small private meadow at Bishopstone not expecting much as the dearth seems to be upon us. Sure enough it started with not one sighting but as I moved further into the meadow and reached a large patch of Ox-Eyed Daisies I noticed a couple of very worn Common Blues along with a tired looking female.
f c b.JPG
w c b.JPG
As I moved further in I also saw a very fresh looking, almost perfect male Common Blue and a couple of very fresh looking Brown Argus (one of which seemed to have a blue furry body with the typical underwing patterning?) - has the second wave started or were these late comers from the first wave?
b a - Copy.JPG
Also flying were both Small White and a bright looking (so male?) Brimstone as well as my first Meadow Brown of the year. A nice little pick me up as the weather starts to turn for the better! Off camping to my old stamping ground on the Isle of Purbeck so perhaps I'll get some shots of SSB?
m b.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

During my family camping trip I managed to see one or two species - a couple of Small Tortoiseshells and Meadow Brown at Downshay Farm Campsite, but no Wall this year, also Large Skipper and Speckled Wood on the "wildlife walk" up to Corfe Castle but the star of the show was Silver Studded Blue at Arne. The wardens are very helpful and both suggested areas produced SSB's easily. I started off looking round the Shipstal Point end and there were 4-5 males flying near to the path. Diffficult to folow them and they didn't seetle for very long. Much easier was the group of about 3 males at the Coombe Heath (I think?) side, just past the pond where the heather is pretty sparse. Again very flighty, all male and also much smaller than I thought they'd be. Still cracking little butterflies too see! Sorry if some of the shots are of the "on a stick" variety...
037 - Copy.JPG
001 - Copy (2).JPG
032 - Copy.JPG
055 - Copy.JPG
Might try another site next weekend to see if I can find some females to try and photograph, and then I need to try and find some Lulworth Skippers. Have a goodun all...

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Taking inspiration from Alan Thornbury's recent blog post I set out on the quest of "new", and bearing in mind that the weather might be against me I crammed 3 visits into one day. I tried an old area with new habitat (due to some recent clearing), a new part of a many times visited spot and one totally new, never been there before site.
First up was Garston Wood for a recce for Silver Washed Fritillary. I saw them there at the tail end of last year and they have emerged elsewhere so I was hoping they might be about now. No joy though but the recently cleared area is looking good and there were butterflies there - Speckled Wood, Small White, plenty of Meadow Brown, very accomodating Large Skipper and my first Ringlet of the year.
041 - Copy.JPG
019 - Copy.JPG
058 - Copy - Copy.JPG
Next up was Slop Bog near Ferndown. A tiny bog/heath surrounded by a by-pass and housing estate, and with clouds massing I was hoping that it would still be warm enough for Silver Studded Blue to be about. Luckily as I strolled across the boardwalk the cloud lifted and I couldn't believe what I was seeing - they were everywhere! I could see 12 males all neatly spaced out but all within my line of vision! I carried along the board walk and once down and onto the heath path proper they were very accomodating, much more so then those at Arne. The slightly cooler weather also meant that they were open wing basking more so I managed to get some (I think) nice shots of their blue and black uppers. They were slightly coy at times though - they'd settle, start opening their wings and then close them as I edged the lens toawrds them. So I would retract the lens and they would open their wings, and I would edge the lens forward and they would close the wings! On male did this 5 or 6 times, then I swear he winked at me and in a very dramatic flourish opened his wings as wide as he could. There were also some females about but they were much more low key. As the sun retreated behind the clouds one lady decided to actually climb onto my finger as I delicatly brushed aside some purple moor grass so I could get a shot! I left feeling very elated, what a stunning little reserve!
095 - Copy - Copy.JPG
131 - Copy - Copy.JPG
148 - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG
169 - Copy - Copy.JPG
Finally a new part of an old favourite as Martin Down. By the time I got there the shower for the day had arrived so I wandered dispondently seeing only a Speckled Wood and a Meadow Brown. Once I retreated to the car for Lime Pickle sandwich the sun came out and with it the butterflies I walked along the path at the edge of the reserve from the Sillens Lane end towards Borkerley but followed the path off to the right where it travelled with hegde on either side. There were a couple of Common Blue, lots of Small Heath and Meadow Brown, plenty of Large Skipper and then singles of Small Tortoiseshell, Small Blue, Green Veined White, Small White, Speckled Wood and a bedraggled female Orange Tip.
191 - Copy.JPG
184 - Copy - Copy.JPG
And so ended a very busy day of "new", it was just as well that I crammed all of that into one day as today it looks like a November day outside! Hopefully by next weekend the sun will have returned and I might try my luck at Bentley for SWF and WA?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

That's a very comprehensive and informative report Wurzel, seems you had a great day out. That lime pickle sandwich sounds tempting too, I must try one myself :wink:

Bill :D

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Bill! I did try to cram as much as possible in - I think that if I'd have finished off at Bentley Wood as I had intended I would probably have gone home to an empty house or if not that certainly a very disgruntled Mrs Wurzel :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Last night we took the whole family to Martin Down for an evening picnic tea. While everyone else was munching down on cous-cous and home baked rolls I managed to slip away and briefly check out the hedges. Meadow Brown, Large Skipper, Small Blue and Small Heath were all about but there was no sign of the aging Orange Tip although a fresh looking Common Blue very obligingly perched for a "blue on a stick" shot. I had to be quick otherwise I might have missed out on the chocolate cake. As the evening sun felt hot enough on my back to burn it got me thinking - what time do butterflies disappear and roost for the night? The working week restricts me to trips at the weekend when the weather isn't always good; so perhaps the answer would be to make visits during the early evening? Or by the time that I get to places will they all be tucked away roosting?
005 - Copy.JPG
008 - Copy.JPG
011 - Copy - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As it was Father's Day I managed to persuade the entire family to head out for a walk at Bentley Wood. I knew it would be a good day when a Silver Washed Fritillary was there to greet us in the car park. We started off along the ride that headed North along the edge of the eastern Clearing and there was a ghostly looking blob that was out of place on the fresh green of a bracken. I managed to get in a little closer and it revealed itself to be a Purple Hairstreak that grimly refused to open it wings. I didn't mind as the closed wing shot is one that I haven't got anyway, so I clicked away and then backed off leaving the charming little butterfly looking out of place, contrasting with the green. This little area proved very prodcutive with my first White Admiral of the year, very fresh looking Ringets, plenty more SV Frits and Large Skippers that appeared to be almost everywhere! While I was enjoying all of these fresh and vibrant specimens a faded and worn Small Pearl Bordered Frit did a tired fly by that made me slightly nostalgic for the heady days of May...
039 - Copy - Copy.JPG
049 - Copy - Copy.JPG
061 - Copy - Copy.JPG
092 - Copy - Copy.JPG

By now the girls had finished the bribery sweets (to them butterflies = Dolly Mixtures) so we headed along the switch back to the cross roads with it's comfy bench and lunch. I couldn't help but keep noticing orange and black jobs all along the path, one of which turned out to be a Dark Green Fritillary.
113 - Copy - Copy.JPG
While the rest of the famliy settled down to a relaxing lunch I checked out the path sides in all directions. Large Skipper was the most numerous species, followed by SV frit, then White Admiral with plenty of Meadow Browns and singles of Red Admiral and Hutchinsons's Comma. But the SV Frits and White Admiral were the main targets of my lens as I haven't managed to get a decent closed wing shot of these species...I still haven't but now I get to come back to this ace site (who knows perhaps His Nibbs will be about next time?)
120 - Copy.JPG
123 - Copy (2).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As the weekend approached a migraine struck but luckily had passed by Sunday when I dug out our old little point and shoot for my daughter who accompanied me to Bentley Wood. She had a fantastic time getting shots of Large Skipper and Ringlet and helping me to see Hummingbird Hawk Moth, SPB Frit and SW Frits with Marbled Whites in the eastern clearing. We then walked down the switchback as the sun ate away at the cloud cover which seemed to have a strange affect on the butterflies White Admirals, SW Frits and Ringlets aplenty all fluttering around at about head height. I mean that's not playing sportingly now is it. By all means stay away from the edge of the path if you don't want to be photographed but don't taunt us by fluttering around just out of reach!
The various ride edges held lots of Ringlet and Large Skipper and SW Frits glided along often being mobbed by Large Skippers. There were also one or two Small Skippers around who were less boisterous.
023 - Copy - Copy.JPG
042 - Copy.JPG
On our way back we found a little patch where there were some smaller Oaks and a large bramble patch. A Hutchinson's Comma spent some time sunning itself and pretending to be a leaf while a DG Frit spend ages patrolling and seeing off SW Frits, Large Skippers and eventually said H Comma. It was very interested in my little girls hat and did land on my hand twice but both times flipped off before I could get the camera raised!
No joy with his Nibbs although others did see him, but there's always next year!
086 - Copy.JPG
100 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun all

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Somehow I managed to get off work very slightly earlier than usual so I called in to a couple of place on my way home. First up was Scotchell Reserve a small local reserve fen which had a mass of bramble growing up a railway embankment at the edge of the reserve. This was a very popular place wiht H Comma, Red Admiral, Small White and Large Skippers all flitting around and nectaring.
H Comma
H Comma
Then I took a walk around he edge of a small field near the local playpark where the grass has grown to almost knee height. This had Large Skippers at the edge, a Common Blue put in a brief appearence along with a Small Skipper and Meadow Browns and Ringlets a plenty.
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
Finally I stopped on the way home where there was a field of white, Ox-eye Daisies for as far as the eye could see. It was a stunning sight and in the strong sun blinding at times!
087 - Copy.JPG
This was also a great little find - with Small Skippers aplenty, Ringlets and Meadow Browns abounded as well as a battered and tired looking Brown Argus and male Comon Blue. Finally a there was a Marbled White flitting around and seemingly perfectly camoflaged amongst the broken white and dark background.
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Female Small Skipper
Female Small Skipper
Female Small Skipper - orange underside to antennae just showing
Female Small Skipper - orange underside to antennae just showing
Marbled White
Marbled White
I had to drag myself away so as not to get into too much trouble with my wife - but now I might be able to sneak the odd 15-20 minutes on the way home from time to time...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A very busy day but once my wife was ensconsed with our younger daughter in the leisure centre watching our older daughter have her swimming lesson I ducked out for a brief 20 minute foray. There are some fields at the back of the Five Rivers Centre which make up a small local nature reserve. With the sounds of Reed and Sedge Warbler interspersed with Garden Warbler drifting and over the hill and up from the river side I strolled around the cut paths brushing the swards on either side of the path with my hands. Just enjoying the solidtude and the greedy satisfaction of being the only person with the butterflies and birds. There were numerous Meadow Brown, Ringlets abounding and Marbled White in very good numbers. One shot had a couple of MWs interlocked while a third party was trying to force in between them :oops: There were also some golden skippers around and using the advice from Sussex Kipper, David M and Gibster, I managed to get some shots of ink padded Essex Skippers as well as one or two shots of the male which showed the sex brand which was much smaller, straighter and fainter.
006 - Copy.JPG
016 - Copy.JPG
030 - Copy.JPG
035 - Copy.JPG
040 - Copy.JPG
044.JPG
Shots got it was back to family duties...and hoping that next weekend the weather is as good.
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Having managed to nip out for 20 minutes yesterday I didn't think that I'd get another chance...but managed to wangle a quick stop at Garston Wood as it was on the way to my parents. Started out in the area tht used to have the ornamental trees but has recently been cut right back with certain key trees and bushes left. It certainly seems to be working for butterflies with Meadow Browns, Large Skipper and Ringlets on every available bush. The odd white did a fly by as well a few very frantic Silver Washed Fritillaries. A small orange blur left from one of the paths but the jizz (do butterfly watchers use this term?) seemed wrong as it landed back on the path. Some sneaky footwork meant that I found Small Heath in the middle of a wood? Not it's normal habitat but then there isn't much wood left here at the mo!
086 - Copy.JPG
In the middle of the cleared area I found a second picnic bench set-up which was surrounded by brambles and gave some cracking opportunities for shots of SW Frits, and allowing some clear underside shots - one of which showed some dark smudges - possible damage?
093 - Copy.JPG
090 - Copy.JPG
Carrying on through we came to the end of this particular enclosure and started off down the main path down the hill to the car park. Alongside the path amongst some ferns was a large bramble bush and on it were numerous butterflies - Ringlets, Meadow Browns, SV Frits all joined for a very brief appearence by a White Admiral (so quick that I couldn't get a shot - but I'll be back!). And then out of the shadows flapped valesina as it glided into view it almost appeared black and white, then when it landed briefly in had almost a metallic lustre appearence. Unfortunately for me it decided to hang in the shadows and quite far into the ferns and almost to far out of range. Eventually it came in closer and I could get one or two shos before it glided off high and disappeared into the sun.
101 - Copy.JPG
100 - Copy.JPG
105 - Copy.JPG
Back in the car park I ended up groaning - earlier I'd been messing around getting my 6 year old to take some head shots for my avatar and I hadn't altered my settings back to macro! Lesson learned - always check your gear before you leave the house!! Still some shots came out okay.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”