Swallowtails 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
andy brown

Swallowtails 2011

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

I have planned a trip to Norfolk for swallowtails for week commencing 13th June, I noticed the tweet saying they are already emerging. Can someone please advise if I should change date and go week commencing 16th May (the only other time I can make) or hang on and hope for the best. I have never seen them before and want to make the best use of holiday!

Thanks in advance

Andy
Lawts

Re: Swallowtails 2011

Post by Lawts »

Andy, I'm very much in the same boat as you. If no-one else replies, I think I'd offer the following advice, although this is just an opinion and not based on previous knowledge - I've never seen Swallowtail either, but plan to this year.

I wouldn't go next week. I think it will be far too early. I suspect the emergence may be a forerunner to a later but slightly earlier than normal emergence. Everyone has said this year is c.2 weeks ahead of the norm.

I think all you can do is monitor the sightings page. There's also info. on Norfolk butterflies on Birdforum. My trip isn't a holiday so I'm a bit more flexible, but all things considered I think I would now be anticipating going the weekend of the 4/5 June.

It might be worth ringing the Catfield Fen "helpline". They usually have an open day for the butterfly. It will be interesting to see if they are sticking to their plans or have rescheduled.

Steve.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I think the middle of June should be good... I have tended to go around that time and as long as the weather is warm, there should be plenty around. Just pray for a little sun and "Robert is your mothers brother" :) I really cannot see them disappearing by then even if the first few have come out early, so just hope for some nice weather for your trip Andy and I'm sure you will see some.

Trev
David M

Post by David M »

I think they key here (and this would apply to many other May/early June species) is to go when the adults would generally be expected to emerge normally, i.e. in Swallowtail's case, the last 10 days of May.

I intend to see this species myself this year, but I won't be venturing to East Anglia until late May.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Like "Lawts" I'm booked in a hotel on the weekend of 4th and 5th June. I was burned last year by them being slightly later than usual and missed them by a day! Hoping that going in the middle of their normal season should bring success!
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

There were quite a few to be seen at Strumpshaw Fen today, so I'd aim for earlier rather than later. I wish you luck. I'd forgotten quite how magnificent a site these creatures are. Such graceful fliers.

The ones I saw today were all in one small area, so it's hard to know how many individuals, but I saw 3 together at one point.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The ones I saw today were all in one small area, so it's hard to know how many individuals, but I saw 3 together at one point.
Was that Dr.George's garden or elsewhere in the fen.? I have never had much success at Strumpshaw except in the garden.

I certainly will consider a day trip in the next fortnight most likely to How Hill.

Jack
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Jack Harrison wrote:
Was that Dr.George's garden or elsewhere in the fen.? I have never had much success at Strumpshaw except in the garden.

I certainly will consider a day trip in the next fortnight most likely to How Hill.

Jack
They were on the Fen Trail, near the end on the last long stretch along the water before you get back to the railway.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Got the day tomorrow and looked at the forecast, so thinking of giving it a go.

Strumpshaw or How Hill?

Thanks.

Also, if How Hill - tips on where/how to work the site much appreciated.

Steve.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

How Hill.

Park at TG372189 walk down through the first meadow and pay a nominal fee (last year I think it was £1) at the old cottage museum - that itself is well worth a visit. Then follow the trail and you might see Swallowtails. I have seen them there and indeed actually had one fly over the car park. However, I am told that it is better to go to the river back and head north where they are supposed to nectar on the Thistles. But that is second-hand info. The only time I went to the riverside it was cloudy and I saw just one fly-over.

I am considering going to How Hill myself on Thursday or Friday depending on the weather forecast.

Although not Swallowtail habitat, that fen trail leads through the woods to some superb views over Crome's Broad. Norfolk at its best (but it is of course my native county so I would sing its praises)

Jack
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

... and if you dipped out there and had to see one to save your life - then the aforementioned Dr. Georges garden at Strumpshaw would be the most-likely place to try... The only drawback there is that the butterflies will probably be nectaring on cultivated flowers like Sweet Williams (which are a veritable butterfly magnet, but some people find a little "artificial") rather than true wild flowers found on the Fen itself. ie If you just need a "tick", that is the place, but do go for a walk onto the Fen itself or you will miss the true ambience of the place.

Trev
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

If my Google mojo is working, the blue pin on this Google map is where the swallowtails were at Strumpshaw on Saturday. I didn't see any anywhere else on the reserve, but there were four of five here.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks all for the info. I saw several today at Strumpshaw, including one briefly in the garden outside the reception centre.
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Jack Harrison wrote:How Hill.

Park at TG372189 walk down through the first meadow and pay a nominal fee (last year I think it was £1) at the old cottage museum - that itself is well worth a visit. Then follow the trail and you might see Swallowtails.

Jack
I've seen quite a few in that first small field of the Trail next to the cottage museum. It's full of milk thistle during the first brood and can be more sheltered there, so a better bet than say, Catfield Fen if it's breezy.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Super day at Strumshaw today, loads of photos. Arrived just before 9am, had a look at pool by visitor centre then walked back to road & down lane leading to Dr Martin George's gdn. Soon spotted a pristine one in the thistle patch on right before you get to the gdn, then another. Photos in the bag by 9.15am. Carried on up lane & saw one fly up the gdn but best was yet to come. The sloping field beyond the gdn is uncultivated with lots of coltsfoot. 6 - 8 pristine swallowtails were surrounding us nectering on the coltsfoot, lots more pics. About 10am we ventured down the adjacent path on to the reserve & saw 2 more down there widely seperated. Another flew across the reed bed by the river. When we eventually got back to car for lunch another even flew through the car park, altogether we must have seen 10/12 & all in very good condition. Also saw several Red Admirals, Brimstones, OT's, lots GVW's I one tatty painted lady. After lunch concentrated on dragonflys, plenty of 4spots, got photos of female hairy oviposting & also photo of a female scarse chaser. Also the now rather common marsh harrier, a Hobby & an unidentified warbler type. Eric
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Catfield Fen is the place I saw and videoed swallowtails last year in mid June. How Hill and Strumpshaw Fen are also places where I have seen them.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Did anyone try today? I'm thinking of going tomorrow.

Cheers
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Steve,
I was at Strumpshaw mid week, but won't be updating my diary until I've sifted through a pile of images. My advice is 'go tomorrow' as your timing will be perfect. Good number on the wing in excellent condition.
Neil
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Steve,
I was at Strumpshaw mid week, but won't be updating my diary until I've sifted through a pile of images. My advice is 'go tomorrow' as your timing will be perfect. Good number on the wing in excellent condition.
Neil
Neil

I think I'll probably take your advice, although it may be a bit windy.
hosebirder

Post by hosebirder »

Hi Steve
I visited today, saw two on the lane approaching the Doctors garden before two more nectaring on the flowers in the garden.
Another three or four flying over the reeds in the reserve gave a total of seven or eight. All individuals that allowed close inspection were in pristine condition with "tails" intact.
Best of luck
Brian

Return to “Sightings”