Charles Nicol

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Charles Nicol

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Here's my guess (and it is a guess)....

Spotted Fritillary
Holly Blue
Knapweed Fritillary

Cheers

Lee

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Excellent work Lee !!

The third one i am not entirely sure... it is either Knapweed Fritillary or Meadow Fritillary .... PADFIELD !!
5467875505_8462c6ec03_z.jpg
5468473742_372608062a_z.jpg
5468473350_16425a1f13_z.jpg
Charles

:D :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Blimey, did I get all 3!?

Having seen Meadow (but not Knapweed), I would go for Knapweed based on what I saw but Guy should be able to say!

Cheers

Lee

Paul

Post by Paul »

Based on the slight incurve of the forewing edge ( as in HBF) I would say that's Knapweed. :) definitely not Meadow, potential other would be Provencal, but it isn't I think.

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks for settling the question Paul !!

Charles

8) 8)

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just because my name has been taken in vain, I'll back up all the knapweed supporters!! :D And I'll add the submarginal lunule in s3 as more evidence. Even when other signs are ambiguous (which they aren't here) that lunule is generally indisputable.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks for putting the matter beyond doubt Guy :D :D

Charles

8) 8)

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Here is one from Symi in Greece:
5476842832_097b1d97cf_b.jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I suspect that one's a scarce swallowtail, even though it looks like a beautiful marble floor!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Well done Guy !!

The butterfly spent its last moments on the marble slabs of the quayside at Symi
5478300305_b429e91930_z.jpg
here are two more from the same pic:
5476837944_4fcf87ee5e_b (1).jpg
5476259977_4c0f1f1ed0_b.jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Here is a lovely daffodil... :? :? :?
5482089236_8821684b17_z.jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Have bought an epson V330 scanner & have started scanning my late father's slide collection. Here is me with a Peacock butterfly
5740044938_84f8eb3ddd_z.jpg
Charles
8) 8)

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Wow Charles - that must be a very old photo..... even the deckchairs are in black and white! :wink:

Just shows that a love of butterflies can last a lifetime - I'd bet many of us were first stricken by an interest in butterflies as a child.

Trev

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I know I was.

I need to get one of those scanners - I have boxes of my dad's and grandad's slides!

Cheers

Lee

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

glad you like the pic trev & lee.

i am very happy with the epson scanner... just right for family slides.

Charles
:D :D

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Leisure wear circa 1968 :lol: :lol:

Charles
5746403744_d1bb216385_z.jpg

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Well this year's butterfly expedition to the South of France begins tomorrow.
I am flying to Montpellier then picking up a long distance footpath heading west towards Toulouse.
The plan is to walk the footpath for 4 weeks then spend a week relaxing in Carcassonne ( where i have spent the last 3 years' hols ).
The route passes through the Cevennes but to the south of where DavidM reported from recently : viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5482

I will be offline for most of the journey but will upload pics & reports in due course

Hope everyone else has a super summer :)

Charles

8) 8)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hope you have a great time Charles, I look forward to your report and photos.

Cheers

Lee

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

For Photoshop/Elements users, there's a free kaleidoscope plugin available from: http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/kaleidoscope.htm

Here is an example made with Photoshop Elements 2 from an original on my website:
Small Tortoiseshell - made with:<br />Mehdi Photoshop Plug-in
Small Tortoiseshell - made with:
Mehdi Photoshop Plug-in
I downloaded this plug-in after finding that the Sumo site was not available.

Mike

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Lee: thanks for your good wishes... hopefully i will get some interesting pics :)

MikeOxon : that's a lovely kaleidoscope pic !! sorry you did not manage to get the sumo working :oops:

Charles
8) 8)

Return to “Personal Diaries”