Not a sighting - just a question regarding Swallowtail

Discussion forum for sightings.
Robin

Not a sighting - just a question regarding Swallowtail

Post by Robin »

Hi,
Having never seen a Swallowtail, I hope to get over to Norfolk this year to put that right. However I would like to be sure that they are actually flying before I set off on a long journey. I can't find a website that reports Swallowtail activity, although I note from the Butterfly Conservation website that one has already been seen on 25th April.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me find out when the Swallowtails in flight so that I could have the best chance of seeing them.
Thanks,

Robin
Martin

Post by Martin »

Good luck with your quest :D I went to Spain to see them.

Martin.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Robin,
If you were to go during the second week in June, there should certainly be some around then. The 16th of June is special to me as it is the first day of the river fishing season, but I have been known to sacrifice a day's fishing for a trip to Norfolk with the camera for Swallowtails.

Pray for a decent sunny day and keep your eyes peeled.

The cottage area of Strumpshaw Fen is probably the easiest place to see them, but How Hill and Catfield Fen are good too.

Trev
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Just heard this, not seen it, but a the Chelsea flower show, a pupae was found on one of the plants that got "imported" with the plant and it hatched into a swallowtail, not sure if its the same one asking about here, but they said it was rare in this part of the country.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Robin

Post by Robin »

Trev,
Thanks for your response. I'll get over there as close to the 16th as I can.
Cheers,
Robin

Return to “Sightings”