Matthew Oates in the National Trust magazine

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Susie

Matthew Oates in the National Trust magazine

Post by Susie »

I was just flicking through the National Trust magazine for summer 2011, which usually gets binned because I find very little of interest in these, when I came across an article by Matthew Oates. Matthew's writing generally raises a smile, his enthusiasm being infectious, and he didn't disappoint.

There was a comment right at the end though which made me think, yup, he really isn't in touch with the real world. He wrote, in connection to looking for butterflies, "Use binoculars: it makes people think you are a birder and not a weirdo." I believe that most "normal" people think birders are weirdos so he's on a hiding to nowhere with that one. :lol:
Gibster

Re: Matthew Oates in the National Trust magazine

Post by Gibster »

'Scuse me??? :wink:

Gibster (a birder who just so happens to be twitching a Great Snipe in Norfolk tomorrow, followed by a Bluethroat in Cambridge with possible diversions to Lincs for a Calandra Lark or way up north for a Rock Bunting if news breaks. Plus maybe the Eagle Owl in Hunstanton or Swallowtails in Fens. Nothing weird about any of that, I'm sure you'll agree?) :twisted:
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh, I agree, but then I'm as odd as the rest of you. 8)
NickB

Post by NickB »

I heard Matthew on Radio 4 - saying what a fantastic year it was for butterflies in the UK. I love the enthusiasm and information he imparts - sometimes I do wonder whether the impression he gives is to make the general plight of butterflies (75% decline in last 50 years) seem much better than it is. He does make the point some are the, "most threatened species "...before saying what a marvellous time they have had this year. Journalists always look for that feel-good factor and so home in on the positives - more butterflies - whilst not giving the true plight of our butterflies as much attention - because that is not so feel-good!. I know that is not what Matthew would want to convey - but journalist are very good at cherry-picking to make the "story".

And Matthew, I do have to take issue with the "fabulous" year we are having in East Anglia - where the drought has delivered 30% of normal rainfall over the Spring period. Many butterflies remain baked-into the dry earth, with not much prospect of making it out. Counts of emerging butterflies have tumbled as the drought has taken hold in the last 2 months - I would say at best 1/3rd of the normal numbers. In some places I have seen none of the Small Copper, Brown Argus or Common Blue I would expect; I can't remember when I saw a Large White last. The prospects for 2nd generations and later butterflies are also pretty poor, since most of their host plants for eggs and larvae are already stunted, shrivelled and nearly or already dead! It is very worrying indeed.

So, please, Matthew - get your facts right. The further south and west you go, where you live Matthew, the more "normal" the weather patterns have been and the early Spring has produced an amazing early-show of species and in good numbers. That has not been the case over in the east; when you go on national radio, Matthew, please make sure you give a true national picture. The UK is not just your patch :wink:
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote:Oh, I agree, but then I'm as odd as the rest of you. 8)
Indeed, Susie!
As Neddy Seagoon once said: "Mad, What do you mean 'mad'? I'm as sane as the next man...!"
...and Eccles replied, "Yes! And I'm the next man....!"

'Nuff said! :lol:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Depends where you are with your binns I think.

Watching birds and butts on RSPB land you will be surrounded by the other weirdos who will class you as the norm but looking for an Oriental Turtle Dove on a housing estate then you may well be classed as a weirdo by the residents.

Gibster did you manage to see any of the stuff you were twitching or was it more of a Great Dip. I know much of what you were after wasn't around for long, especially the Calandra Lark at Gib.
Cheers Paul

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”