Photography Code of Practice

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
David M

Re: Photography Code of Practice

Post by David M »

Sometimes it's positively necessary to photograph surroundings in order to corroborate the sighting.

Last year, when I saw Speckled Woods on the Isle of Man for the first time, I deliberately took a couple of wide angle shots incorporating the sign 'Spectacled Owl Enclosure' at the Curraghs Wildlife Park to prove that the photo was genuine.

That policy paid off as when I sent the photos to the island's recorder, it turned out to be none other than Stephen Jeffcoate, who was perfectly appreciative of the reasons why I had included such background clutter.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Collard Hill doesn't appear to have suffered - half as many Large Blues again in 2010 over the 2009 count. Staggeringly successful.

With regard to the canine question, many a country walk has been spoiled for me by irresponsible dog owners who fail to control their companions. However, the attractiveness of their deposits for certain species of butterfly cannot be denied...

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:Collard Hill doesn't appear to have suffered - half as many Large Blues again in 2010 over the 2009 count. Staggeringly successful.
That's true but this site is pretty well policed and people aren't allowed to simply come in and go where they like.

Still, it proves that successful habitats can be provided for both butterflies AND their human devotees.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Here's one of my sign photographs, especially for Felix :wink:
P1010903 smll.JPG
Often it stops me asking my wife several days after a holiday "You know where we visited on Thursday, what that village called, and how do you spell it?" :wink: :oops:
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

millerd wrote: With regard to the canine question, many a country walk has been spoiled for me by irresponsible dog owners who fail to control their companions. However, the attractiveness of their deposits for certain species of butterfly cannot be denied...

Dave
Thats unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. I have also had run ins with people who cannot control their dogs to the point where I once had to catch their dog for them and follow it up with a frank exchange of views. The trick is to know your dog and take action before anything bad happens.
My dog is very obedient and friendly but does have a strange dislike for men wearing hats.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Butterfly Gardener wrote:
millerd wrote: With regard to the canine question, many a country walk has been spoiled for me by irresponsible dog owners who fail to control their companions. However, the attractiveness of their deposits for certain species of butterfly cannot be denied...

Dave
Thats unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. I have also had run ins with people who cannot control their dogs to the point where I once had to catch their dog for them and follow it up with a frank exchange of views. The trick is to know your dog and take action before anything bad happens.
My dog is very obedient and friendly but does have a strange dislike for men wearing hats.
I'd be safe, then! I find that carrying something, like a camera, seems to incense a lot of dogs. Goodness knows why.

Dave
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Butterfly Gardener wrote:I have also had run ins with people who cannot control their dogs to the point where I once had to catch their dog for them and follow it up with a frank exchange of views.
So what did the dog say in defence? :D

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Trouble is, a rare butterfly would probably visit you after a day or so and we'd all trample on your grave trying to get the best photo. Hmm :mrgreen:
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

Please do comment Felix. If i'm doing something wrong I need to know so that I can stop.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Another of my favourite road signs - just a great picture:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

That's one of the best artist's work I've ever seen on a sign. So graphic it's almost X-rated. :!:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Probably the funniest quote this great site has ever churned out!!! OK, time to give Felix a break, fellas! :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Butterfly Gardener wrote:I have also had run ins with people who cannot control their dogs to the point where I once had to catch their dog for them and follow it up with a frank exchange of views.
So what did the dog say in defence? :D
Cheers,
- Pete
...."you must be barking...." :mrgreen:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Lots of very interesting discussions in this thread all of them valid, in their own way. My only concern is when it becomes personal, then in my humble opinion, the individuals argument loses some of its creditablitiy for me, being constructive is always more beneficial.

Please do not start on dogs, my Charlie gets very upset for being blamed for the loss of wildlife in this country, I think there are far more pertinent reasons that our wildlife in in terrible trouble.

Just as an aside, I sent UK butterflies as a link to a contact in Arizona and he described this website as one on the best and informative sites he had ever visited, so a very well done to Pete and everyone who makes this such an amazing site to look, comment or just to be a part of.

Keep up the great work everyone.

Thanks

kevin
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:Another of my favourite road signs - just a great picture:

Guy
Guy, please tell me you've superimposed that image?
NickB

Post by NickB »

David - I remember seeing those in Switzerland!
Leaves one in no doubt what it means!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Butterfly Gardener wrote:P.S. 50 people in a day at Collard Hill really isn't that many if you think about it. Over an 8 hour period it equates to 1 person every 10 minutes. I'll admit that if it was a coachload who all appeared at the same time it may have caused some issues!
Your right 50 people spread over a large site, with plenty of butterflies to go around, that's perfectly OK. But as Nick alluded to earlier, the problems occur when hoards of people descend on the same spot.

If you have a site with tiny number of a particular species, especially if its the only site for that species for miles around, then problems can occur. Although always done in innocence, some sightings, site recommendations, and site info requests, on a public forum like this can cause problems. :(

Regards Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Guy will no doubt be able to account for the superior intelligence of Swiss dogs that are able to interpret those signs.

I recall a conversation I had with irresponsible dog owner. It went something like this:
“Your dog’s just crapped on the path!” and had the amusing response “What unpleasant language you are using”.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

I think some of those signs would not go amiss at the Devils Dyke, near Jack and I (aka ...."the Dog Toilet")....
..though I think we would need some officious Swiss to oversee the enforcement.
Boy, would they make some money on spot-fines (plenty of "spots"...)
N
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Returning to the subject of photographers who should have their nose rubbed in it .....

I was part of a BC walk today and was standing minding my own business watching a caterpillar on a blade of grass about 6 inches in front of my foot through my binoculars when I saw a photographer's foot obliterate the said instar. I politely remonstrated, and received the reply that it was only a caterpillar and they were after a picture of a moth. This from someone who is probably a paid up member of BC (but obviously not the nasty creepy crawly part of conservation). The camera was sporting a plastic long lens but obviously not long enough to take a picture from 3 yards rather than 2. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Return to “Photography”