Black Beauty

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
eccles

Black Beauty

Post by eccles »

I snapped this little moth today at the Lansdown Hill battle site. It's a stunning black with white wingtips, and is smallish, about the size of a brown argus.
This is the first time I've seen it, although there were several at this site. I couldn't find any obvious answers on UK Moths. Does anyone know what it is?
Thanks..

Incidently, if anyone here is also interested in odonata, I found several young adult scarce chasers of both sexes here.
Last edited by eccles on Sat May 26, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yep - it's a Chimney Sweeper moth:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3567

... the bane of Small Blue hunters everywhere :)

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

Many thanks Pete. Why do you say that it's the bane of small blue hunters?
I actually went to this site looking for small blue because Mark from Bath said he'd heard they were there, but didn't find any kidney vetch there so didn't really expect to see the butterfly.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

eccles wrote:Why do you say that it's the bane of small blue hunters?
Good point - politically incorrect and I'm fully-expecting a reprimand from my moth chums :)

The realilty is that, on some sites, the Chimney Sweeper is often mistaken for a Small Blue. So - if you've visited a site expecting to see Small Blue, and you only see Chimney Sweeper moths, then it can be somewhat disappointing :)

Although I guess all these critters are special in their own way. Similarly, if someone had told me 30 years ago that I'd be excited by a sighting of a Wall, Small Tortoiseshell, Duke of Burgundy or Pearl-bordered Fritillary, then I would have said they were mad - since all these were pretty common where I grew up in rural Gloucestershire at the time. The decline of these species is the primary reason that I'm so passionate about doing something to help raise awareness and protect them. This website being one such diversion!

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

I'm not one of the PC brigade; I was just curious why the comment as these moths were black.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Then you have better eyesight than me Eccles :)

In my experience, unless you know both species pretty well then, since both fly by day, some confusion can occur!

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

Interesting. Maybe there's local variation in these moths. I've only seen small blue once, last year at Stoke Camp, but they look dull greyish when in flight but the moths today were very different, much, much darker.
After visiting this site, I went onto Hazelbury Common in Wilts as that's supposed to be a known SB haunt, and kidney vetch is growing pretty well in several areas. I saw two possibles; one flew up into a hawthorn bush and I lost it. It was probably a false positive anyway. The other was typical blue flight pattern, and it disappeared into a mix of kidney vetch and bird's foot trefoil. Without tramping through the lot, which would have been crass, I couldn't find it again, but I'm maybe 80% certain of a single.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I saw dozens of Chimney Sweeper moths today at Edford Meadows reserve (ST675489). They do flutter low in a similar way to Small Blues.

The white orchids were in flower at the reserve, but the main display with the purple orchids, knapweed and numbers of grassland butterflies should be a few weeks away yet.
markatbath

Post by markatbath »

Hi eccles
I've been to hazelbury several times in the last week or so and there have been no signs of Small Blue.
If you don't mind the trek it's worth going to Martin Down as I have never failed to get them there.
Off to Powerstock tommorrow to see if I can find Wood White then back to Priddy to see if the fritillaries are out.
Will report back any findings
Regards
Mark
eccles

Post by eccles »

Hi Mark, I've already reported the SPB fritillaries at Priddy:
http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1136
I didn't find many but they're there!

Also I struck lucky today with small blue at Stoke Camp:
http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1170
Again, not many but they were in pretty much the same place as last year, in amongst the bracken and long grass near the hawthorn tree in the dip.
If you have a hand held GPS receiver, the grid references I've given should put you right where I found both species.
Good luck with the wood whites.

Return to “Identification”