Silver-washed Fritillary

Lawts

Silver-washed Fritillary

Post by Lawts »

Whilst searching for Black Hairstreak at Glapthorn in early July last year, I observed a Silver-washed Frit. having been informed some were in the area.

I know there has been a range expansion - has anyone else seen them at this site. I just wondered if it was a natural occurrence, or whether they have been introduced at the site.

Any info. appreciated.
selbypaul

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary

Post by selbypaul »

Hi there
When I was at Glapthorn last year, a couple of people did mention that SWF's had been seen. The three people talking to me were sceptical at the time about them being a natural expansion, suggesting someone had released them. However, given the reported natural expansion into Norfolk/Suffolk last year, I'd say there was good reason to believe those seen at Glapthorn were also natural wanderers.

Don't know if anyone else has any views?
Paul
EricY

Post by EricY »

I do not remember the date but we (2) saw one dash past us in the ride beyond the BH's, chased after it but did not find it. Was nearly the end of BH season & our 2nd visit so probably was July. Eric
Julian

Post by Julian »

Here in E.Anglia, there has definitely been a range expansion according to our county recorders of E.Anglia, and it seems very unlikely to have been releases. The spread has been so vast in terms of distances covered that it would appear typical of natural expansion. This is also in the light of recent expansions of SWF in previous year in the area. My local groups are throwing up the possibility of a sea migration too. The latter is something which was at first deemed unlikely, but now looking distinctly possible given the locations of recordings and much of the wind direction leading up to the sightings.
:)
Enough

Return to “General”