Help with Target Species...

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Help with Target Species...

Post by Wurzel »

Can anyone help me?

I'm based in Salisbury, quite limited where I can go in terms of time and I'm not sure where to go for 3 key target species...

Duke Burgundy - Morgan's Hill (Wilts), Fontmell Down or Cerne Hill (Dorset) - which is best and any tips once there? I also saw that Zonda was talking about Buckland something - is that any good?

Marsh Fritillary - Lydlinch or Hod Hill - which is best bet? Any tips? Are they flying yet

Wood White - some sites in Dorset are mentioned - Powerstock Common, Kingcoombe Stones and Coombe Heath - are these reliable? If not any ideas?

Cheers for any help it is greatly appreciated.

Wurzel
dorsetguy

Re: Help with Target Species...

Post by dorsetguy »

Hi Wurzel,

I'll try and answer some of your questions!

Duke of Burgundy - I don't know how it's doing in Wiltshire, but here in Dorset it seems to be doing badly. It has disappeared from Fontmell Down, and according to the Dorset BC website it is now only present on private sites in the county. I thought I'd read about some sightings on Cerne Hill last year but I can't seem to find any reference to this anywhere so I may have been imagining it! However, I think that Hampshire or Somerset would be better options for this species.

Marsh Fritillary - I haven't visited Lydlinch at this time of year, but Hod Hill is a very good spot for Marsh Fritillary. There were roughly 40 individuals on the wing yesterday, and the numbers should build significantly over the next few weeks. As a word of warning, the track up to Hod Hill is quite steep, I know that some people are put off by it!

Wood White - Powerstock seems to be reliable, although I'd be interested to hear how they're doing at the site. The numbers reported in the last few years seem to be quite low, but they are still present. Unlike some of the stronger colonies, the butterflies here tend to appear relatively late in the year, the Dorset BC site gives the first sighting in 2010 as 24.05, and I've tried to find them in late April on a couple of occasions without success (although I suppose if they were going to emerge early, this would be the year it would happen!). A visit in late May or early June should be successful though.

Hope that helps!

Guy

Return to “Sites”