Glanville Fritillary

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Ian Pratt

Re: Glanville Fritillary

Post by Ian Pratt »

I cannot recall seeing the e-mail.
Do get in touch when you know your dates for the visit. Regards. :)
_astralis

Post by _astralis »

Just sent you a PM. I'll be travelling to the IOW on Sat 21st May and travelling home the following Saturday :)
marmari

Post by marmari »

The following pics were taken on the 24th June last year on Brook Down,Isle of Wight and although showing signs of wear and tear,still worth a look at that time I think.
_astralis

Post by _astralis »

Lovely photos, Peter :) If only i could put the clock forward! Only 102 days to go :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

Really lovely photos. It looks warm and sunny too. Can't wait!
marmari

Post by marmari »

Like everybody else on UKB I expect we all can't wait for the summer sun.
An excellent photo by David Newland in the latest issue of the BCs ' BUTTERFLY' taken from Tennyson Down,showing the start of Glanville Fritillary country, and away to the south towards Ventnor, whets the appetite.
My two very inferior snaps of the same location on the 26th May last are reminders of our outing to see the Glanville on the cliffs.
Everything crossed for the same magical moments this year!
marmari

Post by marmari »

Visitors to the Island may be interested in the link below concerning research into the Glanville on the isle of Wight,reported last summer in the Isle of Wight County Press.
Apologies in advance to those who already know of the report.
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/butterf ... 33233.aspx
millerd

Post by millerd »

The outcome should be fascinating. It ought to confirm just how much this little chaps move about.
(I don't know what others think but the Fritillary the lady has in her glass jar looks supiciously Dark Green to me...)

Dave
marmari

Post by marmari »

Yes,it looks very green doesn't it. Still the general shape seems right for a GF.
Obviously a trick of the light?!!
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Morning Susie,

Just wondering if there is room for 1 more maybe 2 if the wife would like a day out, have any dates been firmed up?

Regards

Andy
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Andy,

I haven't arranged any dates for definite yet, although I think that other forum members are going over at specific dates (please read back through the thread for further details).

However, when I do make a date nearer to the time your wife and yourself will be very welcome.

If I do go it is likely to be during the start of the week before the half term week.
Mark Lyman

Post by Mark Lyman »

Hi, we'd certainly be up for a trip over en-famille. Would be worth trying to find those large tortoiseshells too if it is the right time?

Cheers, Mark.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi all,

Sami and I are heading across on Fri 27th May. We're getting the 0930hrs Portsmouth (Gunwharf) car ferry outbound, returning on the 2000hrs Fishbourne ferry. A car and driver costs £27.50 outbound and £17.75 return totalling £45.25 with absolutely no price increase if I can fill the car with 4 people. It then takes 30-45 mins to hit the south coast once free of the terminal so we could be in Glanville territory well before midday :)

That's the only date we can both manage that week. Fingers crossed the weather behaves itself, neither of us have butterflied the IOW before so we're both looking forward to the day. If anybody else is heading over we'd be very happy to car-share / meet up on the island.

Two months to go...countdown has begun!!! :D

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
marmari

Post by marmari »

Another beautiful sunny day and a trip through Bonchurch village to Horseshoe Bay,a short distance along the Island coast from Wheelers Bay where the first Glanvilles of 2011 were reported.
Two individuals seen and in the next few weeks I hope many more to follow.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Wow, great photos!
John W

Post by John W »

Hi, can anyone recommend a Glanville Fritillary site (on the IoW) easily accessible from public transport, i.e. not too far from a bus stop? I'm thinking of travelling down for the day from Brighton, either this weekend or next weekend.

Cheers
John
millerd

Post by millerd »

I travelled to Ventnor by train and bus last year. There are buses to Ventnor every half an hour from Shanklin, the terminus of the trains from Ryde Pier Head. This is turn is where the catamarans berth at the other end of the trip from Portsmouth Harbour Station.

Once in Ventnor, Wheelers Bay is along the eastern end of the seafront (very rough directions!).

Dave
John W

Post by John W »

millerd wrote:I travelled to Ventnor by train and bus last year. There are buses to Ventnor every half an hour from Shanklin, the terminus of the trains from Ryde Pier Head. This is turn is where the catamarans berth at the other end of the trip from Portsmouth Harbour Station.

Once in Ventnor, Wheelers Bay is along the eastern end of the seafront (very rough directions!).

Dave
Thanks Dave, that sounds like a good public transport option. Am now anxiously checking the weekend weather forecast!
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

John W wrote:Hi, can anyone recommend a Glanville Fritillary site (on the IoW) easily accessible from public transport, i.e. not too far from a bus stop? I'm thinking of travelling down for the day from Brighton, either this weekend or next weekend.

Cheers
John
Hi John a bit late for your trip but I went Glanville hunting last weekend on public transport. Compton Bay has a bus stop right at the site, the number 12 bus between freshwater and newport stops there.

I camped at Compton Farm to make a weekend of it, excellent farm the hay meadows are grown without chemicals so are alive with butterflies and at the top of the farm you're right on the downs.

Return to “Field Trips and Events”