Heath Fritillary at East Blean Woods

Discussion forum for sightings.
sandraandkevin

Heath Fritillary at East Blean Woods

Post by sandraandkevin »

Visited East Blean Woods today in Kent. Saw 3 different individuals, I think this is really early. Also saw 11 Caterpillars, a first for us.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Blimey that is early!..
Can I ask where abouts in the woods you saw them and where the caterpillars can be seen?
Was it near the main car park?

Regards
Steve
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

If you take the path by the sign in the car park, you will see the Cow Wheat on the left after approx 50 yards, this is where we saw a majority of the Caterpillars.
For the Butterflies you carry on until the first xroads path, then turn left, then walk until you see a path bearing left, this takes you to the road and they were flying all around, landing mainly on buttercups. It is a nice little sun trap there.

I hope this helps you to find them.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Thanks for the speedy reply!...Thats really very kind.
With regards to

"For the Butterflies you carry on until the first xroads path, then turn left, then walk until you see a path bearing left, this takes you to the road and they were flying all around, landing mainly on buttercups. It is a nice little sun trap there."

I think I know where you were?..was this sun trap on a sharp bend on the road?Basically you didnt have to cross a road to see the butterflies?

Believe it or not I have been interested in british wildlife (Mainly insects) since being a young lad.now 37 years later.I drive through these woods sometimes four times a week and never seen one heath yet !
Thus the keenness to see one..or two..:)

Once again thanks for the advice.
My personal photo website http://stevehale.zenfolio.com/
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Exactly right Steve, I think you might be able to pull in on the bend if you are just passing.

We have been very lucky when we have been, 3 times only and seen them each time.
In view of the number of Caterpillars we saw, I am sure over the next few weeks you will get a sight of them, they are really worth it.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Thanks for the reply,
Stopped when driving through the woods just for a while yesterday and today, First time I stopped I may have seen one from a distance in flight?Being a newbie to the heath does this species fly almost like a small tortoiseshell but low? (this was not a tortoiseshell by the way :))

Today I had a longer look..found a large crop of cow wheat near the car area but no larvae. and had a quick look for adults but no show today.

I saw loads of speckled wood and some Holly blues.

Had a good try out with the Sigma 150mm on cardinal beetles and a massive nursery web spider but I really struggled with the light levels in the woodland..
I will keep looking and report on here when I (hopefully) see them .
Regards and thanks again.
My personal photo website http://stevehale.zenfolio.com/

Return to “Sightings”