April 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave McCormick

Re: April 2011

Post by Dave McCormick »

Felix wrote:Sorry to hear that you have experienced poor health of late Dave, I hope that you return to full steam soon. :)

Felix.
Thanks, shouldn't be too long though, I can walk certian distances, but not too far without feeling a little sore, but can get out though. I am going to look around my relatives bog this weekend for small heath, common heath and see if any emperor moths are around and whatever else. Going to look for a new HD video camera tomorrow if I can get one, if I can't find one that does the job I want it for, may get a nature trail camera as my old HD video camera does work, managed to get it going again, just focus is bad well zoom is fully out.

Quite a few migrants appearing latley, I had had Dark Sword-Grass and Rush veneer in past two weeks, wonder if any butterflies will appear too such as Painted Lady? Others have found immigrant Large Yellow Underwings and Striped Hawk-moths. Some migrant birds have been appearing on south coast of Ireland including Hoopoe, Red Rumped Swallow, Alpine Swift, Wood Warbler and up this end a Great Grey Shrike has been seen. Looks like its going to be a great summer if this is how things are going. I have been seeing higher numbers of Red Admirals lately but don't know if they were overwintered adults or immigrants, didn't look very worn though.
Last edited by Dave McCormick on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
marmari

Post by marmari »

I was hoping to report that I had at last seen a Large Tortoiseshell at Woodhouse Copse after numerous attempts,but I am sorry to say that I failed to see one.
However the Copse had its best outfit on today as it was full of spring colour,but lacking many butterflies,just a few speckled woods and small whites.
Still I did come across this chap snuffling through the leaf litter.
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Holly blues and Orange tips plenty today at Ickenham. Sezar
Attachments
P4185750a.jpg
P4185748a.jpg
geoff

Post by geoff »

Nice Wall Brown , my first this year, spotted today at Labrador Bay, South Devon.
also, first Small Coppers, Dawlish Warren, last Saturday.
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

Despite the amount of cloud in the sky early afternoon I decided to head back to Ashlawn Cutting on yesterday on the off chance of seeing some butterflies. At first I there seemed to be nothing but Orange Tips about. But as I was still seeking a decent photo of one this might be a good thing, I thought. And so it was to be! No sooner had I reached the south end of the old station platform I spotted a female Orange Tip resting on a flower. Seconds later a randy male arrived and I soon had some reasonable shots! I worked my way southwards and found a solitary Small Tortoiseshell in the meadow. Carrying on, I saw more male Orange Tips on the wing as well as other Whites. Many appeared to be Small Whites, a few were Green Veined Whites, and it’s possible some were more female Orange Tips. As I got nearer Pytchley Road Bridge I encountered the obligatory Peacocks and a number of Commas, plus one more Small Tortoiseshell. Some Commas were happily flying around with the Peacocks. Not before have I had to wander so far south to encounter Peacocks. The Orange Tips were still the most prevalent species, and a chance sighting of a female resting – I thought I was photographing a Small White initially – resulted in some great shots of a love triangle, as not one but two males joined the female and began fighting over her. Working my way homewards I also saw three Speckled Woods. No Holly Blues today, and the Brimstones were still conspicuous by their absence!

Totals:
Orange Tip x plenty (including at least 3 female!)
Peacock x about 20
Comma x about 8
Green Veined White x at least 4
Small White x about 20 (but some possibly GVW; some possibly female OTF)
Small Tortoiseshell x 2
Speckled Wood x 3
Attachments
Couldn't resist adding the speech balloon!
Couldn't resist adding the speech balloon!
2011-04-17-009C-D5000-Butterflies-Rugby-GCW-Ashlawn_Cutting-Orange_Tip_female.jpg
2011-04-17-001C-D5000-Butterflies-Rugby-GCW-Ashlawn_Cutting-Orange_Tip_female-male.jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Looking at her raised abdomen, she's not interested in either suitor!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Nice Tips :lol: :lol:

Charles

8) 8)
Charlotte Brett

Post by Charlotte Brett »

Staying at my boyfriend's in Dumfries at the moment where it's lovely and warm. So far today I've seen a male orange-tip, a small tortoiseshell and 3 green-veined whites. I spotted a pair of the green-veined whites above my head in a tree and managed to get a photo! Hope you like it :)
Attachments
_MG_9486-2-photium.jpg
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Coo! What amazing weather!

Been assisting a team looking for Adonis larva at Malling Down this afternoon. Looks like they are in their final instar and their quite easy to find.
2011_0419April0005.jpg
2011_0419April0006.jpg
Other species seen there today included:

Grizzled Skippers,
Large Whites,
Small Whites,
Orange Tips,
Brimstones,
Green Hairstreaks,
Small Coppers,
Peacock,
Small Tortoiseshells,
Red Admirals,
Painted lady (2 I think),
Speckled Woods,
Small Heath.
2011_0419April0008.jpg
I think this is the earliest I have ever seen a Small Heath. I recon they are going to have a good year, assuming the seven year cycle continues (see post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4270)

Also one possible Cinnabar! Not totally sure about that as I only got a glimpse , it just appears far too early for a Cinnabar, but I wasn't the only one to see and question it (Michael Blencowe also saw it).

I have been compiling a web album of species I have photos of and have yet to identify. If anyone wants to take a look and identify some things your contribution would be welcome.
I am totally puzzeled by the photo of the bone, lots of spiders, bees etc to identify.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1134455316 ... YnAjsf7pgE#

Crispin
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Crispin,

Your damselfly is a young male large red damselfly, Pyrrhosoma nymphula.

I wonder if you should make a posting on the ID forum for people to contribute the names of all the other bestioles - because I'm sure they will!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Finally downloaded my photos from the weekend taken at Ewyas Harold Common near Abergavenny. Could anyone confirm that the snake is an adder?
Was nearly 1m long but quite thin. Is it a young adder?
Was nearly 1m long but quite thin. Is it a young adder?
Information board at site
Information board at site
Seeing more females now
Seeing more females now
Speckled Woods rising in numbers
Speckled Woods rising in numbers
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The snake is certainly an adder - and I would say an adult, judging by the length!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
EricY

Post by EricY »

Good day today @ Lakenheath Fen RSPB (Suffolk/Norfolk border) very warm. Around 30 Peacock, same number GVwhite, 3/4 male orange tip & 1 small tort. Photos of Cuckoo, Bittern (distant), saw Hobby (3) Marsh harrier (5) Crane, whitethroat. Called first @ Weeting heath NWT for 3/4 Stone Curlews, then arrived home just in time for male Sparrowhawk to visit right opposite my front door
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Crispin, some to get you started. as with all my ID's there is a disclaimer that they could be wrong :)
1. episyrphus balteatus
4. xysticus sp.
5. tegenaria sp
9. Early Thorn
10. possibly Agonopterix arenella
22. square spot rustic
27.Pyralis farinalis
29. araneus diadematus
31-35 Salticus scenicus
44. 24-spot ladybird
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:The snake is certainly an adder - and I would say an adult, judging by the length!

Guy
Thanks Guy. I suspected it was an adder due to its colouring, but although it was quite long, its body wasn't very broad - I'd always imagined adders to have quite thick bodies.
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

ChrisC wrote:Crispin, some to get you started. as with all my ID's there is a disclaimer that they could be wrong :)
1. episyrphus balteatus
4. xysticus sp.
5. tegenaria sp
9. Early Thorn
10. possibly Agonopterix arenella
22. square spot rustic
27.Pyralis farinalis
29. araneus diadematus
31-35 Salticus scenicus
44. 24-spot ladybird
Great thanks Chris. I intend to put them into MapMate then on to Sussex Biodiversity Records Centre (I could put you down as determiner?)

Just a few more species to go.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some sightings from my sister's Yorkshire garden. Lots of butterflies over the weekend in near-continuous sunshine. Nothing unusual, but my first Large White of the year.

Goodness it's hot down here near the airport.

Dave
Attachments
OT4 resized.jpg
HB1 resized.jpg
LW1 resized.jpg
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Crispin wrote:I am totally puzzeled by the photo of the bone, lots of spiders, bees etc to identify.
The bone will be from a fish of some kind. Quite a large bone it looks like so quite a large fish!
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi David

Judging by it's colour, very pale and contrating, it is possibly a male Adder and getting ready to shed it's skin. Apparently they become lighter in clolour as they get close to shedding.

I was speaking to the warden at Hatfield mooors over the weekend and males are normally much thinner and slightly smaller than the females in length. I found a pair mating and the male was very similar to your adder photo, whereas the female was much broader and a gingery brown colour with much less contrast between the base colour and the zig zag markings.
Cheers Paul

Post by David M »

Paul Wetton wrote:Hi David

Judging by it's colour, very pale and contrating, it is possibly a male Adder and getting ready to shed it's skin. Apparently they become lighter in clolour as they get close to shedding.

I was speaking to the warden at Hatfield mooors over the weekend and males are normally much thinner and slightly smaller than the females in length. I found a pair mating and the male was very similar to your adder photo, whereas the female was much broader and a gingery brown colour with much less contrast between the base colour and the zig zag markings.
Thanks for that, Paul.

Return to “Sightings”