Grizzled Skipper ab?

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Grizzled Skipper ab?

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Probably another one for Felix...
I was at a local site for Grizzled Skippers on Saturday and found a few fresh individuals. I know how varied these little insects can be ( I have to confess they are my favourite butterfly), but one looked to have so much white on it that I wondered if it would be classed as an aberration (maybe intermedia) or whether this is within the normal range of markings... What say ye Felix?

The first one is typical of the site, whilst the second has a little more white than I am used to finding...

Trev
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grizzled Skipper ab?

Post by Padfield »

I'll leave it to Felix to make a determination, but I don't think this is intermedia, in which the male in particular is characterised by robust markings and a 'dogsbone' in s1 of the forewing. This one I photographed in 2007 closely resembles the male in the Cockayne collection.

On the other hand, I agree your individual is striking and out of the ordinary, particularly with regard to the white mark within the cell. I look forward to Dr Felix's diagnosis...

Guy

PS - since your first individual is female and the second male it is a little misleading to compare the two directly.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trev,
Lovely shots - of a lovely species. I think your specimen falls within the range of natural variation though.
Neil
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Thanks Guys (well Guy and Neil :wink: )

Trev
Piers

Post by Piers »

Wot Guy and Neil sez.

Freshly emerged grizzled skippers are frequently heavily dusted with white scales (particularly males, of which yours is one) which are gradually lost as the insect ages.

Although your specimen is striking, the white markings are not enlarged or extended (as Guy says) in the manner that is found in abs taras, scabellata, etc.

Felix.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Great pics Trev. These are my next goal for 2011. I know little about them, except that they like bare soil. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Zonda, you can add to the list that they are a right pain to follow in flight!

Extremely small and very fast.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “General”