Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gibster

Re: Goldie M

Post by Gibster »

Hi again, Goldie M

I'm Surrey based so can't say I've been to Mere Sands. Sorry. Your latest pic is also of a Reed Bunting. What's happening is that the head and throat feathers were moulted at the end of last year's breeding season (by which time an adult bird's feathers are pretty worn and knackered) and the tips of these 'new' feathers are now being actively abraded to slowly reveal the breeding plumage. In the male Reed Bunting this consists of a black head and breast patch with obvious pale 'moustache'. Give it a few more weeks and the tips will be fully abraded revealing a stunning bird in full breeding livery. Shame the song doesn't quite live up to the plumage! :wink:

To be fair, Reed Buntings and male House Sparrows are pretty similar so it's easy to confuse the two. Check the crown and habitat preferences though. Then have a look at Marsh and Willow Tits or Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs...and if you're still keen after that you've definitely got the birding bug :D

All the best,

Gibster.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Gibster, seems I've alot to learn!!!!!!!!!! Can you settle a dispute though, the pic I'll show you My friend says is a Green Finch. I think it looks smaller and could be a Siskin or a Serin, of course with our knowledge we could both be wrong :lol: Goldie M :)
Attachments
Serins PF March 6th 2011 018.JPG

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Goldie,

I would say that's a female Greenfinch.

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Goldie

Looks like you have a pair of Greenfinches there. The more streaky bird at the front being the female.

You are correct that Siskin and Serin are smaller birds but this has a bulky Greenfinch bill and looks to be a similar size to the male in the background.

Cheers Paul

Post by Gibster »

Hiya again, starting to become a bird ID quiz this thread! :wink:

Lee and Paul are both right, it's a female Greenfinch. You broke the back of the ID yourself by narrowing it down to the correct family - finches. The rest is easy with the guide book in one hand (or even better, a notebook with your written description which is the best way to get to grips with plumage detail). You also sussed it was a female since it is duller and streakier than the accompanying male. See, you are getting better! :)

Siskins have strongly streaked underparts, whacking big pale wingbars, long thin bills and streaky backs. So definitely not one of those.

Serins have tiny stubby grey bills, streaky backs, heavy black bars running down the chest to flanks and pure white bellies. They're also pretty rare in Britain, especially this time of year. So not a Serin either.

I'm eagerly awaiting your next mystery bird pic!!! :D

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you every one. I do seem to be improving :D If very slightly Gibster, if you want another pic here's one.

I've got this down has a Tufted Duck which, I might add I think is right, But, is the other one a lady TD.
My book shows me a much darker colour for the Lady than this pale cream colour Goldie M :?:
Attachments
Tuffted Duck Lady PF March 6th 2011 004.JPG
Tuffted Duck PF March 6th 2011 005.JPG

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Goldie

Definitely not a lady tufty but a farmyard escapee. Quite possibly a boy as well. Don't think Mr. Tufty would be too impressed with this one.

Cheers Paul

Post by Goldie M »

Escapee Paul, I wonder where from, loads of farms around; Penn Flash is near the West Pennine Moors. I'm looking forward to going again now, who knows what will turn up. We're also planning a trip to Martin Mere wild life centre when the weather settles . I f I see anything unusal I'll definately metion it in my dairy.
Another couple of weeks and we should see some Butterflies, hopefully, the weather has been very cold here, Hale stones today, freezing at night , :( it needs to get much warmer before we see them around here.
I'll leave going to the waste land for anther couple of weeks as well, I want to see if it's changed much by then, Goldie :)

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Goldie

These hybrid farm yard escapes can be a bit of a nuisance as they always tend to be larger than the local Mallards with which they are able to interbreed thus diluting down the wild Mallard genes. I'm not sure they can all produce viable offspring but some hybrid ducks can breed.

Keep up the diary and the bird photos. It's always good to have a look and ID some interesting photos.

Cheers Paul

Post by Gibster »

Hiya Goldie M,

Your funny looking duck is indeed a Mallard, and a male as Paul says - that Tuftie definitely wouldn't be amused! Just check that bill shape and colour.

Mutant and cross-bred Mallards are the bane of novice birders when it comes to wildfowl on the local ponds. (Hybrid geese are the other main pitfall, but we won't go there today...) Females don't seem as susceptible to becoming freakishly large or odd-plumaged. I don't know why that is. Hmmmm. Anyway, an easy way to tell if your mystery duck is a Mallard is to look at the tail. Where the wings fold across the base of the tail you'll see a cute little tuft of curled feathers. Regardless of size or plumage abberation, if the curl is present your duck is a Mallard. Easy! Also Mallards tend to hang around with other Mallards.

Google "Cayuga" and "Indian Runner" for a couple of common Mallard freaks. Other commonly encountered mutants are leucistic individuals (pigmentation has a washed-out look and is generally the colour of very weak tea) or very small and white individuals with an annoying non-stop and very loud quack ("call ducks", prized by shooters for luring in wild ducks). Also Google "Muscovy Duck" and note the large size, horizontal resting position, facial wattles and large white wing patch. These come in an assortment of colours from the ancestral greenish (rare in domestic/escaped ducks) through to a largely white or pied appearance. Often seen sitting in pondside trees, usually low down on larger branches.

Good fun this! Maybe if it stays cold the butterflies won't come out this year and you'll become an expert birdwatcher instead! :lol:

Gibster. (PS - just kiddin' about the butterflies!)

Piers

Post by Piers »

Gibster wrote:Google "Cayuga" and "Indian Runner" for a couple of common Mallard freaks.
That's a little strong isn't it Glibster? Runners are a marvellous breed...! Pure Runners are a rarity now as well, having been polluted by such lesser fowl as Mallard... :D

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Felix wrote:Glibster
:P :P :P Too much, Felix, too much!!!!

Next you'll be telling us that Greyslag Geese are wonderful beasties (save it for the Romans) and Morehens means more eggs. :lol:

Sorry Goldie M, hope no offence is taken.

PS- The Lost Gardens of Heligan have pure Indian Runners I seem to recall. 'Course I was more interested in the overwintering American Green Heron on one of the ponds...

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Gibster wrote: Google "Muscovy Duck" and note the large size, horizontal resting position, facial wattles and large white wing patch. These come in an assortment of colours from the ancestral greenish (rare in domestic/escaped ducks) through to a largely white or pied appearance. Often seen sitting in pondside trees, usually low down on larger branches.
I did google Muscovy Duck but I ended up with this?
muscovyduckman.jpg
muscovyduckman.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 251347 times
:shock:

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What can I say!!!!!!!!! You've just killed me with science. I do like your Muscovy duck though Lee, :lol: I must look out for him next time I visit the Country Park . Goldie M :lol:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Felix , I didn't mind you getting annoyed with one another, it wakes things up abit . I think we 're all ready to see some Butterflies and get rid of this cold weather Goldie M :)

Goldie M

Goldie M Waste land

Post by Goldie M »

I've been to Kent for nearly 3 weeks to my relatives. Whilst there I visited Blean Wood, this would be about the 23ard of March, to my delight I saw Commas, Peacocks, and Red Admirals. I know this will be common place now with everybody
having spotted some thing the weather's been so nice, but it's the earliest, I've ever seen so many so just had to put it in My diary.

The waste ground I visted last month has got a name now," Hall Lee Brook" also I spotted Peacock BFs, Comma's and White's
I couldn't get near enough to find out if the White BFs were Green veined or Small Whites, they didn't land much, they were very quick. I hope to find out when the weather improves it's been very cold and windy today inspite of the sun, tomorrow we're back in the rain.
I've put two pics in to show the contrast between my two visits to Hall LB, It's amazing what a couple of weeks make.
Attachments
Hall Lee Brook WH 9th April 2011 011.JPG
Bonks WH March 6th 2011 020.JPG
Bonks WH March 6th 2011 020.JPG (45.86 KiB) Viewed 251206 times

Goldie M

Hall Lee Brook Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to HLB again 2 days on the trot, because I found 2 more Butterflies to add to my total sightings , Orange Tips and Green Veined Whites. I spoke to some people who live near by and they were thrilled about the site. I'll be going there again before very long. I wonderd about the OT having the food they need, I certainly couldn't see much for them. Then I found some Blue Bells in the woods and afield full of May flowers, I've not found any Garlic flowers yet though. Goldie M

Goldie M

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to Gaits Barrow yesterday, May 3 . It was cold to start off with but later it got really warm. We took the Yew Tree trail and followed the Slipper Orchid signs until we reached a fenced off area. Not too many Slipper Orchids but what was there was lovely.
We went back onto the YT trail and a short distance later came to another fenced off area, just what I'd been looking for,
(The Duke) There were lots of Primroses and we had to make our way carefully keeping within the the bounderies, What a treat, not only were there Dukes but flying all around were Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, Brimstones, Whites, the odd Speckled Wood. I didn't count them, I was to interested in trying to take some pics as nothing seemed to stay still for 2 sec's. It was a very rewarding day Goldie M :D
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy GB May 3ard 2011 030.JPG
Duke of Burgundy GB May 3ard 2011 030.JPG (55.79 KiB) Viewed 251290 times
Pearl Bord Frit GB May 3ard 2011 012.JPG
Slipper Orchid GB May 3ard 2011 001.JPG

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

If ever a plant oozed raw sex appeal, that's the one...

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's even better in it's natural surroundings Gibster, Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”