Steve's 2011 Calendar

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Lawts

Steve's 2011 Calendar

Post by Lawts »

Does this sound like a plan? I've got fifteen species to see in Britain and am trying to see 10/11 this year, leaving just 4/5 next year. Taking petrol costs into account etc. plus weekends (has to be weekends) when I am available, (holiday abroad late May), I was thinking of the following. I'd appreciate any suggestions re improving on this bearing in mind I'm Wetherby based. Also in terms of species decline, should I promote any of the 2012 species instead:-

Bison Hill 14 or 15th May for Duke and Grizzled Skipper. May get Small and Adonis Blue but if too early then a return trip on 28 or 29th May - may stay over. 4 down

Will aim to get Wood White at Salcey on way down on 28 or 29th May, or a sole trip for this if scored with Small and Adonis on first Bison visit. 5 down

Marsh Frit - not sure where yet but would be weekend of 4 or 5th June. 6 down

Norfolk for Swallowtail 11 or 12th June. 7 down

Somerset Large Blue 25 or 26th June or 2 or 3rd July. 8 down

Part 2 - Summer

Cumbria for High Brown Frit - 23 or 24th July. 9 down

Lulworth for Lulworth Skipper - 30 or 31st July - may be a trip too far for 2011. 10 down

Aston Rowant for Silver-spotted Skipper - 20 or 21st August. 11 down

Leaving for 2012:
Heath Frit
Glanville Frit
Mountain Ringlet
Chequered Skipper
Paul

Re: Steve's 2011 Calendar

Post by Paul »

Good luck!... one thing springs to mind... I ( N.Yorks) like to see the Large Blues, but my last attempt.. on such dates as you propose left me very late in their shortish flight period... watch the website ( via BC) and I think you may need to be 1-2 weeks earlier than you plan :?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Two general comments:

1. This year seems early. Some say by 2 weeks. In which case your dates will be out for those species with short flight times. If you want to see "fresh" individuals, you might want to take this into account.

2. As with all things nature-related (and weather-related), the more flexible you can be the better!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

If you are coming down to Somerset for the Large Blue, the Exmoor Heath Fritillaries are usually on the wing at more or less the same time, about another 90 minutes away.l
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks for the comments. I was mindful that things might be a week or so earlier given the weather we've had.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Not sure where you plan to go for Marsh Fritillaries, but I usually go when they begin to emerge first week of May in Dorset. Are they still around in June? They are one species that tends to loose condition very quickly.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Not sure where you plan to go for Marsh Fritillaries, but I usually go when they begin to emerge first week of May in Dorset
Amazingly, Marsh Frit was reported from Cornwall this last weekend - 9/4/2011.
This is extraordinarily early.
The further west you go the earlier they seem to emerge, and disapear.
For North Devon I don't expect to see any more than a week or so into June.
Cheers

Roger
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I was thinking maybe they'd be a bit earlier this year, but Early April is exceptional! Earlier than the earliest I have seen in provence!

I might have to head West over Easter then :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Bison Hill 14 or 15th May for Duke and Grizzled Skipper. May get Small and Adonis Blue
Do you know something that we don't? Adonis Blues in that part of the Chilterns? Not for many decades I would have thought. But you never know. My understanding is that it is a species that is expanding its range (eg into the Cotswolds)

I have normally seen Large Blues in early June so they could well be out by the end of May this year. Your summer timings also seem to be at toward the end of their respective seasons. Old books and literature are not a good guide today with many species flying two or three weeks earlier than they did in the first part of last century.

Jack
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

No I don't know anything new. I meant Adonis on that same trip somewhere in the south.

Having had feedback from various sources the best approach seems to be to divorce Duke and Grizzled from the later Spring butterflies. I'll tackle those two separately, and then look to get both blues and Marsh Frit.

Also, I've been given a site near Rutland water for Grizzled, which will save me a few miles, plus was aware of the Yorkshire Dukes, and am trying to get a site.

If I can get those without too much travelling, it sets me up for a longer trip for the other three.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

but Early April is exceptional! Earlier than the earliest I have seen in provence!
Indeed
The information came from the Cornwall BC Forum, and the sighting was by the Cornwall BC Chairman - pretty reliable information I would suggest.
Cheers

Roger

Return to “Field Trips and Events”