March 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickB

Re: March 2011

Post by NickB »

Nice one Susie! Still waiting for that over here. But - my first Holly Blue in the Cemetery today - hooray! (Beats my first sighting in there by 2 weeks!)
HB_First_low_MRC_23rd_March_2011.jpg
Also several Brimstones (and my first female) as well as a couple of Comma. Spring has Sprung :)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Saw a comma today which obligingly sat still for a few seconds for me to capture. Not so lucky with a Brimstone though, too fast!

Rich
Comma, Langdon Hills, Essex
Comma, Langdon Hills, Essex
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
Here in the Scottish Borders over the past few days Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and today 11 Peacock seen on the banks of the river Whiteadder in Berwickshire. But is it to early to call this spring? I wonder.....

Iain.
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful day here in Swansea, 16C. Took myself off to the little valley in Glais at lunchtime and was rewarded immediately with two male Brimstones (which sadly weren't for settling for any length of time). Apart from that, saw 1 Peacock and 4 Small Tortoiseshells. There were also about half a dozen moths on the heathland which caught my eye. They were all found near the old heather growth and were small to medium sized with a dusky forewing and a bright yellow or orange underwing. Does anyone know what species this is?
NickB

Post by NickB »

Processed a few more pics - including some of the 2 Peacocks I saw too....
Peacock_1_low_First_MRC_23rd_March_2011.jpg
HB_2_low_MRC_23rd_March_2011.jpg
Peacock_3_low_MRC_23rd_March_2011.jpg
HB_3_low_MRC_23rd_March_2011.jpg
Last edited by NickB on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Great pics Nick, the Holly Blue is a WOW! We have had at least two weeks of unseasonably warm weather this March. Why am i worried about April?
Cheers,,, Zonda.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Cheers, Zonda! It is all about the 3 "P's" - Persistence, Patience and Perspiration :lol:

I too have visions of last year - dry early Spring (dessicated food plants ) followed by (traditional) wet late Spring....
N
marmari

Post by marmari »

Inspired by Petes' Marsh Fritillary larvae and because it was such a beautiful springlike day here, I wondered whether the Glanville Fritillary caterpillars were to be seen.
A five minute drive from home to Shippards Chine close to Compton Bay and within 50 yards of the carpark I came upon numerous webs.
If this concentration is anything to go by then another good season is beckoning.
For those thinking of visiting the Isle of Wight for butterflies you may wish to know that Rob Wilson,leader of the BC IOW Group is launching his brainchild on 7th May to make Ventnor,a "Butteryfly Town".
There are plans for an extensive Butterfly Walk around the town,and on that date the target species will be possible early sightings of the Glanville Fritillary.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Marmari
Fabulous images there.
I am now inspired to trot up to Sand Point on Friday afternoon (I finish work at 12:00 on a Friday) to see if the colony there is similarily active!

NickB
Your first HB may well be your earliest sighting, but it looks as if it has been around for a fair while.
Cheers

Roger
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

18/19 degrees C today but no sign of anything but commas- no further sign of large tortoiseshells. :(
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Love the Glanville Fritillary Caterpillar pics :)

Here in South Wales - between Cardiff and Newport, the butterflies have started up. Last Tuesday I saw a couple of Commas, by Thursday I'd seen a couple of Small Tortoiseshells, and today again some Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells again. Visited Fermyn wood (nr Kettering) briefly on the weekend and saw plenty of Brimstones and Commas, including quite a few Brimstones that could be seen driving along the motorway.

However, in my local patch the butterflies have been outdone by the sexual shenanigans of the local Toads, who have been copulating in the local stream like nobody's business. Literally hundreds of the toads could be seen in one spot last weekend, though I think many have now been picked off by the local birds. It's been nice to have an early burst of sunshine - I was expecting March to be dull and wet! :wink:

Michael
Basking Comma 22-03-11
Basking Comma 22-03-11
Love-sexy toads 23-03-11
Love-sexy toads 23-03-11
Last edited by Michaeljf on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely weather prompted an early exit from the office and a stroll along the side of the River Colne between Stanwell Moor and the M25. I counted nine Peacocks, two Brimstones, a Comma, a Small Tortoiseshell and a Red Admiral. The latter had set up shop in precisely the same spot as the first individual last year - a small riverside clearing in a bit of woodland. The feared shortage of Peacocks predicted by some has not come to pass - not here anyway. I think someone tipped them off that winter would be early and they went into hibernation rather promptly. Unlike 2009, where round here they decided to breed again and their offspring were around in October. Anyway, some pictures from sunny Middlesex.

Dave
Attachments
Peacock6.jpg
Peacock5.jpg
Peacock4.jpg
RA1.jpg
ST1.jpg
NickMorgan

"Little White Butterfly"

Post by NickMorgan »

Some fantastic pictures above and you lucky people with all those species!
Yesterday was beautifully sunny, but I was at a meeting in Perth all day. Today started off with completely clear blue skies, but by lunch time it was overcast, but I did catch a glimpse of a peacock.
My wife saw a "little white butterfly" yesterday lunch time while out with the dog. I can only assume that it was a small white or green-veined, but it seems really early for either of them. I have an idea that male orange tips tend to emerge before females, so I am less inclined to think it was an orange tip. The small white chrysalises on our house in our very sheltered sun-trap of a garden show no no signs of emerging.
I would be interested in people's opinions on what it could have been.
Interestingly in March 2009 she saw a little white butterfly in the same garden, long before I saw any small or green-veined whites!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

"the side of the River Colne between Stanwell Moor and the M25." ahh those were the days, my first owl pellets were off the moor, my first ring ouzel and ruddy shelduck from the path round the back of King george res and my first garganey just before you get on to moor. a veritable wildlife haven around that area. Dave, do you ever get to Harmonsworth Moor? it was very young last time i went up there, just wondered how things had progressed.

Chris
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

marmari wrote:A five minute drive from home to Shippards Chine close to Compton Bay and within 50 yards of the carpark I came upon numerous webs.
Great pics, Peter!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Another walk in Langdon Hills revealed two Commas in what appeared to be some sort of courtship flight (if they do that?), they were accompanied by a Peacock at times. Also saw another Brimstone. A good day!

Rich
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
millerd

Post by millerd »

[quote="ChrisC Dave, do you ever get to Harmonsworth Moor? it was very young last time i went up there, just wondered how things had progressed.

Chris[/quote]

I visit Harmondsworth Moor several times a year: very good for common species of butterfly, including Small and Essex Skippers, Small Heath, Brown Argus and abundant Common Blue. The highlight last year were Marbled Whites, the first I'd ever seen there. One of the areas nearer me is basically an enormous spoil heap from the building of Terminal Five: it is owned by BAA and slow progress is being made to landscape it after the Harmondsworth Moor model. Again, it is very good for butterflies, though the Marbled Whites haven't quite reached it. 22 species seen there so far.

Dave
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Bill S wrote:
Wurzel wrote:March sems to be a time for strange contrasts...I saw 16 Waxwing on the way back from shopping yesterday and then I had 2 Brimstones and a Comma in my garden in Salisbury that same afternoon - even though the Waxwings were ace I wish spring would make it's mind up and finally arrive. I mean I've come out of hibernation now and am eagerly awaiting the new season.

Have a goodun all

Wurzel
I'm near Salisbury and have never seen a Waxwing, do you mind me asking whereabouts you saw them please?

Bill
I had never postively identified a Waxwing in all my 69 years ... until January 2011 when I saw a dozen plus less than half a mile from where I live. There were frequent reports in the Gloster Birder all close to where I live but, despite frequent looks never saw a one. Deciding to walk to the Morrisons Supermarket instead of the car would do me good, my 10 x 50s under my jumper ~ it was cold ~ with both hands holding shopping bags as I emerged from the supermarket, I saw a flock of birds in a bare Lime Tree close to where there were earlier reports of Waxwing sightings. About the size of Starlings, they did not behave like that bird. I walked the 150 odd yards to the tree and there they were ~ My first ever sightings of a Waxwing ~ lots of 'em... :). Then quite suddenly, they all descended to a fruit laden ornamental Rowan Tree in someone's front garden. Got my camera out and something spooked them all and they flew quickly and strongly away south in the direction of Painswick a few miles away.

Checking the Gloster Birder as I usually do, someone had observed Waxwings in a Pine tree on 11th March at dusk in Catbrain Quarry on Painswick Beacon. maybe their roost in the area high up on the Cotswolds... They even got some pictures of these attractive birds.:

Sat 11th Mar 2011

Painswick 17 WAXWINGS at Catbrain Quarry, Painswick Beacon until 5:45pm at least, appearing to roost in the crown of a Pine tree. (Francis Steuck). Pics by Mike.

Waxwings roosting :~

Check the 11th March entry :~

http://www.birder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ... 2011-1.htm

Now the insect observations. Better than i would have thought following such a prolonged and severe winter, the hardest locally since 1981/2.

Mid February I saw a fresh Red Admiral sun basking on my Kitchen Window. I would have thought the previous excessive cold would have killed them all off here in the UK. It was very cold. By the time I got my camera ready it was off. Seen a couple of Small Tortoiseshells, several Peacocks including one today and two Commas about the garden later in this month. My wife on Monday 21st saw a male Brimstone. She also saw some of those Bee Flies in the garden ~ her description was spot on ~ she thought they were some sort of Bee Hawk like moth until I advised her what they were. I have seen them in the garden many times in past years. They are Bee parasites I believe. We have several kinds of bees in and around the garden including those which make a single nest out of mud in holes in walls etc.

When I opened the boot of my unused car a few weeks back, an attractive Golden Geometer moth with about a 2" wingspan was settled down there. I have not checked what it was yet but, whatever it was, I do not remember ever seeing one like it before ~ again by the time I had my camera ready, it was gone.

Yet another "I wonder what that was scenario" in a lifetime's observations... :)

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Saw my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year yesterday nectaring on Dandylion head at work. And apologies for not thanking Wurzel earlier for the Waxwing sighting location near Salisbury, cheers Wurzel much appreciated.

Bill
NickB

Re: "Little White Butterfly"

Post by NickB »

NickMorgan wrote: My wife saw a "little white butterfly" yesterday
Hi - I agree with you it does seem rather early for the Small Whites; could it possibly have been a female Brimstone, I wonder?
Or a Large White, which seem to be emerging now...? (Further training required for your Mrs, I reckon... :lol: )
N

Return to “Sightings”