Zonda

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gibster

Re: Zonda

Post by Gibster »

A bloke on a tractor has just driven past me, waving his arms and yelling, "The end of the world is nigh!"

I think it was Farmer Geddon :lol: :lol:

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ah, but there is a cunning plan to deal with rogue asteroids. Baldrick was on the right lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRxX3s3JlM

We simply name all the problem asteroids "Earth".

Jack

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Gosh! Never mind 'The God Delusion', i think maybe 'The Science Delusion' could be getting a deal more serious. Me, i just look at life, and wonder.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Felix must be in the pub. :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Amazing condition,,, and grace too. :(

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely shot Zonda. :)

So have you changed that bird lens yet? :wink:

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

No Lee, my bird lens is still on. This pic was taken on an older camera, with my butterfly lens attached.
Soon i shall take this lens off, and attach it to my 'butterfly camera', a wicked combination. :lol:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

An uneventful bird stake-out on the Dorset heaths today resulted in not a shot being taken, :( although a Comma, and a Peacock flounced about in the area. On arriving home i discovered 2 Brimstones in the garden, but couldn't get closer than 10ft. Earlier this morning i checked a Holly Blue location in a very warm Abbotsbury, but no joy. So,,,, no photos of anything, this may be a job for Holsten Pils. Again.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Zonda:
...be a job for Holsten Pils. Again.
Goodness me. Fancy admitting that :oops:

Mine is Tesco's Cava (Champers substitute) at circa £4.40 per bottle. Now that shows that I have a truly sophisticated and mature palate :twisted:

Jack

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Jack:
Mine is Tesco's Cava (Champers substitute) at circa £4.40 per bottle. Now that shows that I have a truly sophisticated and mature palate :twisted:
You most likely do have a sophisticated, and mature palate, but i'm still stuck with a 22yr old one. I once tried to trade it in for a Red Wine palate, but the stomach complained bitterly, something about 'dosing him up with vinegar'. In my youth i had a fad for rough Scrumpy cider, that lasted several years, until one day i noticed that an older guy who had been on it for years, had only two teeth left, and walked on his heels. Luckily i was put off spirits early, although Brandy used to pass the lips on occasion. This aversion to spirits came after watching my father brought down and later killed by Whisky. Isn't group therapy fun? :lol:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I had to feed these hungry little devils the whole year round in 2010, and i suspect it might turn out the same during 2011. I think it's money well spent, well,,, better than a household pet,,, can't stand them. :D
This feeder cost £2 from an RSPB outlet. I gave it a go, it was great, but the downside was that they emptied it in half a day. So needed a lot of attention. Good if only a couple of GFs visit you. :D

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
Mine is Tesco's Cava (Champers substitute) at circa £4.40 per bottle
Excellent stuff.
Just before Christmas they had a deal where you could get it for about £3 a bottle.
I bought a couple of cases.
I haven't any left now though :cry:

Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Roger said:
Jack

Mine is Tesco's Cava (Champers substitute) at circa £4.40 per bottle

Excellent stuff.
Just before Christmas they had a deal where you could get it for about £3 a bottle.
I bought a couple of cases.
I haven't any left now though :cry:
Do you think that we should contact Tesco and suggest they quote in an advert in return for free supplies?

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Don't you just hate all these little shops that never have what you want. I use Tesco a lot, damn my soul.........Soul?

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Truly Amazing.
Just to think that the two following pics were taken in the same month during 2010.

My garden bird hide, during the same month.

The Peacock was taken from the bird hide, using my 150-500mm Siggy bird lens. The month was November.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Butterflies are picking up now, with a male, and female Brimstone flopping around the garden yesterday. I haven't as yet seen an Orange Tip, nor any flowering Cuckoo flowers (Lady's Smock). My interest will build in the next couple of weeks, as i see more Leps. Couldn't resist bringing these two together yesterday.

GOLDFINCH ON RIBES

Last edited by Zonda on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That Goldfinch picture is a prize winner. Absolutely gorgeous.

Jack

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yes Zonda - Your goldfinch shot is superb.
I think goldfinches are actually a very hard bird to get a good shot of as they are so "contrasty" (is that a real word?) - With the black, white and dark red patches, cameras can have trouble keeping everything within range... those pink flowers compliment the red on the bird's head perfectly and really set the picture on fire - it's a stunner! :D

Trev

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Thank you both for praising my bird pics. Today i spotted the first OTs of my year. I visited a sun trap meadow this afternoon, and there were 3 or 4 males patrolling. The Cardamines are just starting to appear here, and i saw several Brimstones, a couple of Peacocks, and what i think was a GVW. Bring it on!!!

Cheers,,, Zonda.
59 SPECIES

Post by 59 SPECIES »

Zonda,

I know what you mean about the Goldfinches. They have a voracious appetite for the old Niger seed. We have two feeders - cheapies from Wilkinsons. That's where the cheapness ends though. They have cost me over £100 this winter on seed. During the height of the second Ice Age in December we had 18 birds visit. Worth every penny as you say. :D

Cracking pics too. Well done.

Return to “Personal Diaries”