UKB on Twitter and Facebook

Comments on the website and discussion forums, including enhancement requests and bug reports.
JohnR

Re: UKB on Twitter and Facebook

Post by JohnR »

Rogerdodge wrote:these SN sites have helped to bring regime change
I have visions of rubber and thongs and things that Berlusconi is alleged to indulge in, but it doesn't bring about regime change. :wink:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Pete Eeles wrote:To be honest, the Facebook page is simply there to attract (and foster an interest in) those individuals that consider Facebook to be their primary interface to social networking.

My local bird club is The Surbiton and District Birdwatching Society (catchy, I know...) The average member is past retirement age. Very. There is a frighteningly low recruitment of 'youth' to the club. I'm 39. Sami is 25 (26 in coupla days). There's Glen who's about 53 and Paul who's late 40s or so. Next youngest was probably born in the Victorian times! It is a very sad fact that within another decade, two at the most, the SDBWS will be no more simply because the membership has died of old age.

At the February indoor meeting one committee member asked for a show of hands, who uses Facebook (Sam nervously raised her arm, I think one other person did too), who uses Twitter (no arms raised at all). The SDBWS is doomed. The social gap between 'youth' and the members is just too great to be bridged.

Pete Eeles wrote:Just moving with the times
A superb move, regardless of whatever current members think. After all, it's Pete's website!

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Like Susie, I have way to many contacts on Facebook, and like Roger, I don't really get it. I find Facebook some what disjointed. Do I post on my wall, his wall, in a PM, or just in the usual news bit. Which seems to be mostly about people you haven't seen since school, or family members I usually only see at funerals or weddings, finding things like a red chicken or a lost cow ). :?

Not saying its a bad Idea BTW Pete. :D

Mind you, what happens when someone posts a live report that for conservation reasons, we usually withhold on UKB and the BC sites.

Regards Gruditch
Piers

Post by Piers »

Gibster wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote:Just moving with the times
A superb move, regardless of whatever current members think. After all, it's Pete's website!
It's actually an on-line community Gibster, created by Pete and run by him (in his spare time to our collective gratitude) for and on behalf of the members of this community. The site belongs to all of us. Except you.

Anyway, Twitter is great. I can read things such as "just having a cup of coffee" written by someone of whom I have never heard; and discover not only that by dint of them being a 'celebrity' my life is less rich for not having heard of them, but also that without this medium I would have missed out on the latest revelation that they see fit to share with the world.

Twitter has a very distinct and rigid class system from what I can gather; those who have lunch, and those many millions who log on to discover what it was they ate. And our lives are enriched by this.

Fortunately, whatever utility Twitter might have as a small-scale personal diary or communication cloud is negated and obscured by Twitter's tendency to clog up with @replies and other nonsense. Thank goodness, I for one would be appalled to read anything of any magnitude or noteworthiness.

I can't decide whether Twitter is populated by people with egos of such grotesque dimensions that they really do presume that I am going to care that they have "just popped into Harvey Nichs", or that I am deficient and inadequate by not hanging on the every word of people who were put on this earth to be appreciated by humble non-celebrities such as myself.

Judging by the sheer volume of people who really do appear to care what Stephen Fry is eating for his luncheon, it is probably the latter.

:D
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Gruditch wrote:Mind you, what happens when someone posts a live report that for conservation reasons, we usually withhold on UKB and the BC sites.
We already have the problem with the forums. The short answer is that UKB (me!) will not be posting these and if someone posts on *my* wall with sensitive info, then I'll zap their message. Just like we would on the forums here :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Felix wrote:It's actually an on-line community Gibster, created by Pete and run by him (in his spare time to our collective gratitude) for and on behalf of the members of this community. The site belongs to all of us. Except you.

Anyway, Twitter is great. I can read things such as "just having a cup of coffee" written by someone of whom I have never heard; and discover not only that by dint of them being a 'celebrity' my life is less rich for not having heard of them, but also that without this medium I would have missed out on the latest revelation that they see fit to share with the world.

Twitter has a very distinct and rigid class system from what I can gather; those who have lunch, and those many millions who log on to discover what it was they ate. And our lives are enriched by this.

Fortunately, whatever utility Twitter might have as a small-scale personal diary or communication cloud is negated and obscured by Twitter's tendency to clog up with @replies and other nonsense. Thank goodness, I for one would be appalled to read anything of any magnitude or noteworthiness.

I can't decide whether Twitter is populated by people with egos of such grotesque dimensions that they really do presume that I am going to care that they have "just popped into Harvey Nichs", or that I am deficient and inadequate by not hanging on the every word of people who were put on this earth to be appreciated by humble non-celebrities such as myself.

Judging by the sheer volume of people who really do appear to care what Stephen Fry is eating for his luncheon, it is probably the latter.

Quite right. The value of Twitter is directly proportional to the value of the tweets. UKB shall be tweeting high-value tweets only. Anyone who tweets otherwise is a twit. I hope that clears things up :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Pete Eeles wrote:if someone posts on *my* wall with sensitive info, then I'll zap their message. Just like we would on the forums here
OK :D

Regards Gruditch
Susie

Post by Susie »

Felix wrote: Anyway, Twitter is great. I can read things such as "just having a cup of coffee" written by someone of whom I have never heard; and discover not only that by dint of them being a 'celebrity' my life is less rich for not having heard of them, but also that without this medium I would have missed out on the latest revelation that they see fit to share with the world.
Thank you for enlightening me! I have never been on Twitter but, as mistress of the banal and inane albeit without celebrity status, I have obviously missed my calling in life. If anyone wants me I shall be tweeting. :wink:
Piers

Post by Piers »

David Cameron famously said it best on 'Absolute Radio' when interviewed by local radio presenter Christian O'Connell:

"The trouble with Twitter, the instantness of it... I think that too many twits might make a tw@t."

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Pete
I am seriously disapointed.
I have been registered on Twitter to get your Tweets for nearly 2 hours, and still haven't found out what coffee you had today, or what colour shirt you are wearing!!t
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

We could of course go down the Skype route. Then we could see others being twits as well as reading all that fascinating gossip.

I have in fact just set up Skype. I’ve made a call from one end of the house to the other but I haven’t tried anything more ambitious than that as yet. The real purpose of getting Skype is to have cheap communication with my son when he is working in New Zealand later in the year.

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

With msn and a webcam you can communicate for free (internet connection excepted)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Skype to Skype is free.

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Felix wrote: by Felix » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Gibster wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote:
Just moving with the times

It's actually an on-line community Gibster, created by Pete and run by him (in his spare time to our collective gratitude) for and on behalf of the members of this community. The site belongs to all of us. Except you.
Hmmm...well thanks for clarifying the error of my light-hearted comment. I shall consider myself moderated. Maybe you'd deign to PM me Felix? :?
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Just joshing Gibster, just joshing. :D

(and if you've been 'Moderated' it wasn't by me on this occaision :? )

Felix.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Felix wrote:Just joshing Gibster, just joshing.
Good news, I'll put my handbag away now :lol:

Catchya's later!

Return to “Website Comments”