Personality types?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Re: Personality types?

Post by Susie »

David M wrote: That said, if you're a British woman who isn't au fait with France, then you may well not realise how different it is from Britain, and even though I agree that (in the countryside at least) it's far safer than here, that doesn't mean it's completely safe.
Well it's not safe to walk around on my own as I do but if I can't get out and about in the fresh air then I might as well be dead anyway, as I see it. As long as you're savvy and cautious it's worth the potential risk. In years to come I am looking forward to many holidays abroad so I can enjoy their countryside.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Gibster wrote: The one aspect that has repeatedly struck me is the almost complete lack of birdwatchers of an ethnic minority. Why is this? In some 25 years of active birding I can honestly say that I've seen less than 5 black birders and maybe ten Asians. And thousands of Caucasians. Yet some of the worlds best bird guides are those operating in south-east Asia and middle Africa. Why the huge discrepancy over here I'm not sure. Looking back over the years I can categorically state that I have yet to see a non-Caucasian butterfly enthusiast anywhere in Britain. I'm not saying there aren't any, just that I haven't seen them. In this day and age I find that difficult to comprehend. Wildlife is open to all races, colours and creeds. Do other members have thoughts on the matter?

Gibster.
Right, I exchanged thoughts with a few ethnic minority friends about this today. Once they stop teasing me about it being nerdy and my being an anorak the basic consensus was that there was "no value" in hobbies such as bird watching or butterflying. As a rule their lifestyles revolve around family, work, community and/or religion. It's not that they feel excluded from the aforementioned hobbies, it is that they aren't interested.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:Right, I exchanged thoughts with a few ethnic minority friends about this today. Once they stop teasing me about it being nerdy and my being an anorak the basic consensus was that there was "no value" in hobbies such as bird watching or butterflying. As a rule their lifestyles revolve around family, work, community and/or religion. It's not that they feel excluded from the aforementioned hobbies, it is that they aren't interested.
I suspect this response isn't wholly associated with their ethnicity - I suspect you'd get this reaction from any group - especially townies. It also depends on what they think the hobby is - if it is simply to admire the beauty of a butterfly, then I suspect they also see no value in art, drama, music, dance, poetry and so on, which also have (arguably) no value. How very sad for them; they must lead very miserable lives. If they saw the hobby as a scientific discipline that allows us to monitor the health of the environment, then I suspect they would see some value.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

One of the people is a very deep and philosophical thinker who also writes poetry and appreciates art. I do get where they are coming from, even though I don't share it. They see merit in people. Their spirtuality is god(s) in whichever form. That is enough to fulfill them.

Edit: as an aside, I expect there will be a fair few people on here who, like me, aren't religious in any formal sense or at all but feel absolutely uplifted, joyous or filled with tranquility at being out in nature. We find our spirituality there. You can't beat a meadow full of butterflies (unless it's a woodland ride full of butterflies) to make your heart sing. :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:As an aside, I expect there will be a fair few people on here who, like me, aren't religious in any formal sense or at all but feel absolutely uplifted, joyous or filled with tranquility at being out in nature. We find our spirituality there. You can't beat a meadow full of butterflies (unless it's a woodland ride full of butterflies) to make your heart sing. :D
Amen to that :lol:

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

And any creature that can turn a nettle plant into a Small Tortoiseshell in a few short weeks has to be miraculous.

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

millerd wrote:And any creature that can turn a nettle plant into a Small Tortoiseshell in a few short weeks has to be miraculous.

Dave
Indeed. :)

I would be interested to hear from the ladies on this forum as to what it is about butterflies that appeals to them so much.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Maybe its just they are in touch with their male side Susie? :wink:

Trev
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Nobody seems to have mentioned moths....

i get the strong impression that the moth botherers are even more likely to be male than us butterfly fanciers :shock: :shock:

there should be more Mothers who are Mothers

Charles

8) 8) 8)
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:Edit: as an aside, I expect there will be a fair few people on here who, like me, aren't religious in any formal sense or at all but feel absolutely uplifted, joyous or filled with tranquility at being out in nature. We find our spirituality there. You can't beat a meadow full of butterflies (unless it's a woodland ride full of butterflies) to make your heart sing. :D
Absolutely. To me there's nothing finer in life than chancing upon a sheltered, secluded 'hot spot' on a warm spring/summer's day to find it replete with butterflies. The scenery, the flora and other fauna all add to the uplifting effect. I think that's why I get so depressed in winter, because such opportunities to experience this are not available.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Charles Nicol wrote:Nobody seems to have mentioned moths....

i get the strong impression that the moth botherers are even more likely to be male than us butterfly fanciers :shock: :shock:

there should be more Mothers who are Mothers

Charles

8) 8) 8)
As a moffing muvver I've dabbled in moths but I really feel the cold and like my sleep too much to do it too often. Also if you want to take it seriously it does take up an awful lot of time (plus things have to die :wink: ). Getting mozzies up your nose and in your hair is not a good look. On field trips anyone with long nails who has had to roll up lots of electrical extension leads from generators will know that it plays havok with them and the toilet facilities are awful. :P I can go butterflying during the day when the kids are at school but in the evenings I'm needed to be Mum the Taxi, Cook, and general skivvy, so time off is infrequent.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Susie wrote:As an aside, I expect there will be a fair few people on here who, like me, aren't religious in any formal sense or at all but feel absolutely uplifted, joyous or filled with tranquility at being out in nature. We find our spirituality there. You can't beat a meadow full of butterflies (unless it's a woodland ride full of butterflies) to make your heart sing. :D Pete: Amen to that :lol:
National Census next month. There will be a question asking “what is your religion?” It is vital to answer that correctly and honestly as government future policies will be in influenced by the census data.

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

Jack Harrison wrote:
Susie wrote:As an aside, I expect there will be a fair few people on here who, like me, aren't religious in any formal sense or at all but feel absolutely uplifted, joyous or filled with tranquility at being out in nature. We find our spirituality there. You can't beat a meadow full of butterflies (unless it's a woodland ride full of butterflies) to make your heart sing. :D Pete: Amen to that :lol:
National Census next month. There will be a question asking “what is your religion?” It is vital to answer that correctly and honestly as government future policies will be in influenced by the census data.

Jack
You mean I can't put non-practising non-believing church of england?
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Jack Harrison wrote:National Census next month. There will be a question asking “what is your religion?” It is vital to answer that correctly and honestly as government future policies will be in influenced by the census data
And remember that if 10,000 people say they believe in XXXX religion then that religion will be formalised and officially recognised.

Last time it was Jedi. And yep, it's now an official religion... Power to the people!!! :P :P :P

So...anybody out there have a butterfly as their god, and a woodland ride for their church? My own church is the local pub (but we won't go into that right now) :wink:

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Susie:
You mean I can't put non-practising non-believing church of england?
I don't think there will be a box for that.

Last census, many people ticked a box indicating a particular religion while probably meaning their cultural heritage rather than belief system. That skewed the results suggesting that more people actually followed a particular religion than is in fact the case. Religious leaders took full advantage of this with false claims such as "75% are xyz.

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

So bacchus is your god, Gibster ;)

Well my cultural heritage is part C of E, part non-conformist. Going back a few hundred years some of my ancestors paid good money so they didn't have to go to church, not because they were catholic but because they didn't want to! I read a report the other day which said that there is part of the brain which is responsible for religous belief. If that is the case then me and my ancestors seem to have missed out on it, thank god! :wink: :lol:

I have thought about putting hedge witch on forms before but even that is a bit too formal to describe me. I'm a godless heathen who doesn't believe in anything. :lol:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

We - and that includes Pete - have strayed into off-limits territory. At risk of a slap, I can't resist quoting this:
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. – Robert Pirsig
So nettles into Tortoiseshells. Delusion?

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:We - and that includes Pete - have strayed into off-limits territory. At risk of a slap, I can't resist quoting this:
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. – Robert Pirsig
So nettles into Tortoiseshells. Delusion?

Jack
That's a great quote, which was published in Richard Dawkins' classic 'The God Delusion'.

I doubt very much that we'll get to the end of this century before life on other planets is confirmed. It'd be interesting to see how mainstream religion responds to that.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

David M wrote:I doubt very much that we'll get to the end of this century before life on other planets is confirmed. It'd be interesting to see how mainstream religion responds to that.
(I'm just being silly now, so don't take offence :wink: )

Insects arrived in the fossil records fully formed and ready to fly/jump/crawl/scuttle just like that. Clearly they are not indigenous. The most likely and plausible explanation is that they 'jumped ship' when an interplanetary craft landed on our planet. A less likely explanation is that they came down on an asteroid, it is unknown how they survived atmospheric burn up.

I imagine that modern mankind's ancestors 'arrived' as a result of genetically engineering the indigenous primitive hominid's DNA with artificially improved DNA. In fact I'd go as far as to say that all life on earth is the result of a mega-rich, utterly brilliant alien scientist who decided to start a biological experiment on this small planet we call Earth. He's probably a bit of a geek and not much of a hit with the ladies, but thanks to his mad experiments here we are. Shame about all those ship-jumping minibeasts though.

Susie questioned the type of personality of forum members. Some of you believe in God. Clearly some of us are crazy. (Um...? )

OK, ok...I'll keep taking the pills..... :wink:

Gibster.

Even the local Jehovah's Witnesses learned to steer well clear of my doorbell, and that IS completely true!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

This whole thread is utter nonsense but I am still enjoying your thoughts, chaps :)

I just wanted to point out, and I apologise if I sound patronising, that although I dont have any religion I do respect people who do. I know lots of people whose religion gives them a great deal of comfort.

On the antiques roadshow they've just shown a beautiful book of butterfly paintings and apparently butterflies are symbolic of the resurrection. I didnt know that.

Group hug? :p

Return to “General”