Explain why.....

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
David M

Explain why.....

Post by David M »

I know I must be suffering from butterfly deprivation, as my abstract thoughts are getting ever more off-beat.

I checked on my hibernating Tortoiseshell this afternoon (s/he's doing fine, by the way and will be released once the dandelions start emerging next month) and I suddenly became aware of the fact that I was opening the egg box I have placed it in very slowly.

I asked myself why I was doing this and the only sensible answer was that Vanessids are generally quite skittish and flighty butterflies.

I then recollected my experiences last year with both Brown and White Letter Hairstreaks, which were ridiculously approachable and impervious to human movements nearby.

My tin-pot brain started to wonder why this is. I mean, why are some butterflies ready to take flight at the merest macro-movement whereas others will bask for minutes on end with your camera practically stabbing them in the abdomen?

If anything, smaller butterflies ought to be the most wary, since they are easier prey, whereas larger ones might be too much of a beakful for, say, a small finch.

So, can anyone come up with a plausible explanation of why some butterflies are hard to approach and ready to flee at the drop of a hat whereas others will sit happily whilst they are observed at close quarters?

I'll bracket a few into categories:

Tame as a dog: Hairstreaks, Small Copper, Silver-Studded Blue, Small Blue, Brown Argus

Approachable with care: Orange Tip, Common Blue, Holly Blue, White Admiral, Speckled Wood, Marsh Fritillary, Grayling

Greater caution and patience required: Marbled White, Peacock, Painted Lady, Brimstone, Silver-Washed Fritillary, Wall

They know they're being watched and don't like it: Dark Green Fritillary, Comma, Clouded Yellow, High Brown Fritillary
millerd

Re: Explain why.....

Post by millerd »

Interesting.

My experience is that the temperature and amount of sunshine have more influence on behaviour than anything else. Lots of both, and nothing sits still. On a warm overcast day, almost anything seems prepared to walk onto your finger, even a DGF...

Dave
Attachments
DGF.jpg
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

could be a keep still they won't see me for the small ones, let me show them how big i am for the big ones and "oh no not him with that bloody camera again " for the others :) as well as sun and temperature already mentioned i actually think it can depend on what else is going on, ie, if they are nectaring, might stick around longer if they are hungry or be more flighty if they are fully fed and on the look out for mates in which, in my case, i do tend to block alot of view :)

Chris
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:Interesting.

My experience is that the temperature and amount of sunshine have more influence on behaviour than anything else. Lots of both, and nothing sits still. On a warm overcast day, almost anything seems prepared to walk onto your finger, even a DGF...

Dave
Good point, Dave, and I experienced this myself last year at Ewenny in S. Wales when I had DGFs and HBFs literally climbing on my finger in the damp, overcast conditions.

Thing is though, these are not normal conditions, and I don't think there's anyone out there who would argue that a DGF is as 'tame' as a Brown Hairstreak given anything other than cool, overcast and maybe even wet weather. The moment the sun came out during my visit to Old Castle Down, both species of Fritillary became as approachable as a wild hare.

Return to “General”