Glanville Fritillaries

Discussion forum for sightings.
david king

Glanville Fritillaries

Post by david king »

I need some advice. I've been planning to visit the IoW since failing to see any Glanville Fritillaries at Hordle Cliffs last year. A visit in early June seemed advisable but latest reports on the Hants and IoW Butterfly Conservation sightings page suggest they are already on the wing in large numbers. Is this normal and are they likely to still be about in early June or do I need to get down there asap? Its a long way from Cheshire!
Thanks
david
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi David,

The ealier-than-usual emergence (by between 2 and 3 weeks) would mean you need to get there ASAP. I've been told that, even though they're still emerging, some individuals are looking rather worn - indicating that they've been out for some time.

I was intending to visit myself over the past week, but a combination of work and bad weather beat me :(

Also - there have been no reported sightings from Hordle Cliffs so far this year.

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've always seen them at Hordle during the first week of June, it's usually when I go down south from Cheshire to visit family etc. Obviously it's an extremely early year this year but there shouldn't be any problems with this time frame.

Return to “Sightings”