Charles Nicol

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Charles Nicol

Re: Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

mmm cookies enabled !!

charles

:lol: :lol:

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

after that delicious cookie i am ready to post some more intriguing pics:
5415376381_40e01aaf58_z.jpg
5415990000_8ccc935361_z.jpg
5415990442_e3f85cd3f9_z.jpg
5415990918_fd487132e0_z.jpg
5415458553_5b044b87a0_z.jpg

hope you like !!

Charles

8) 8)

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for the cookie!

I'm really umming and aghhing about the third picture here. I think the others are:

1. Small copper
2. Peacock
4. Green-veined white
5. Small tortoiseshell

I think there might be two butterflies in the third picture. And one of them might be a small copper... But that one is puzzling me!!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had a brief look at SumoPaint but didn't download. So how do you create those kaleidoscope images with SumoPaint? You say it's easy :!: :?:

Jack

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

padfield wrote:Thanks for the cookie!

I think there might be two butterflies in the third picture. And one of them might be a small copper... But that one is puzzling me!!

Guy
Again you have proved a worthy opponent !!
All of your suggestions are correct...picture 3 only contains one butterfly though;
Pictures 1 and 3 are both modifications of this one:
2888981697_cd5f8e8234_z.jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Jack Harrison wrote:I had a brief look at SumoPaint but didn't download. So how do you create those kaleidoscope images with SumoPaint? You say it's easy :!: :?:

Jack
you can do all kaleidoscope work using the online version.

select the filters tab at the top of the screen

from the menu select distort

from the next menu select kaleidoscope;

if you want to keep the resulting image select file...save to my computer ;

i let it keep the png extension...then upload it to flickr which converts it into a suitable size & format for ukbutterflies.

hopefully these pics will help:
5417876519_9086e5017f.jpg
5417876519_9086e5017f.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
5418471450_5c570f2e4b_z (1).jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

here are some more from France:
5417911709_c92c8227a1_z.jpg
5418548732_e7479efdf9_z.jpg
5417945197_e365525b59_z.jpg
5418550106_3242bee275_z.jpg
5418705470_3178fba351_z.jpg
5418705982_40f6afb69e_z.jpg

amusez-vous bien

Charles

8) 8)
Last edited by Charles Nicol on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Cheeky blighter!

But a thought. That kaleidoscopic style of portrait would make a good avatar for someone although I will be sticking with my grumpy avatar for the time being.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

OK Charlie Boy,

I think I've got all yours, but I'll keep my answers to myself so someone else can have a guess...

In the meantime, here's a couple for you in return:

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

That last one could just be the scariest thing I've ever seen...is it a demented many-headed beastie out of Dr Who, lol? :lol:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Gibster wrote:That last one could just be the scariest thing I've ever seen...is it a demented many-headed beastie out of Dr Who, lol? :lol:
:D A cross between a triffid and a Cyclops!

The real life butterfly, from the point of view of a would-be predator, is almost as weird. It's supposed to look as if it has two heads, one at each end of its body, replete with antennae on both.

Guy

Paul

Post by Paul »

and an alien invader :wink:

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Very nice 8-fold pics Guy !!

I think the first one is a Lesser Purple Emperor...

the second one is either a Hairstreak or a Blue...

the brown bands are telling me Long-tailed Blue FINAL ANSWER !!

Charles

8) 8)

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

here are a few more...only two are butterflies though !!
5420739083_58b7b97620_z.jpg
5420737677_4f5bf8f305_z.jpg
5420739429_74a67d1d4a_z.jpg
5420738793_18e2fddeab_z.jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Interesting thing...you can do some really weird things with caterpillars by moving the centre around.

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Matsukaze wrote:Interesting thing...you can do some really weird things with caterpillars by moving the centre around.
could you post some ?... it sounds intriguing. Do the caterpillars mind ?

Charles

8) 8)

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Not so confident about these ones, Charles!

Is that a scarce chaser lurking in the second and fourth pictures?

I think marbled white for the grey-scale picture, but the blue is challenging. Is it Escher's, from one of your French trips? If not, I go for common blue. The chequering isn't far enough out in the fringe for Lysandra.

Guy

PS - I love the demon fish holding hands!! Brilliant!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Charles Nicol wrote:Very nice 8-fold pics Guy !!

I think the first one is a Lesser Purple Emperor...

the second one is either a Hairstreak or a Blue...

the brown bands are telling me Long-tailed Blue FINAL ANSWER !!

Charles

8) 8)
I forgot to say - yes, you're right on both counts. Hence Paul's 'alien invader' comment for the second! :D

Guy

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Charles,

I don't seem able to save the images to my PC, even though it tells me that they have...

Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Thanks Guy for your kind comments on my pics. You were exactly right with the identities...the blue was indeed Common from Huntingdonshire:
3595444474_12cc9a7352_z (1).jpg
here is the Chaser...again from a local meadow:
1505805147_df04574cef_z.jpg

I am glad i got the Long-tailed Blue right... i was having serious thoughts about Geranium Bronze afterwards :)

Matsukase:

i had this problem at first...what you should do is allow the program to choose the .png suffix... but when you save it to your computer ...perhaps to "My Pictures"... choose a name and include .jpg at the end ...for instance kaleido1.jpg .this worked OK for me.
alternatively you can send the .png version to flickr from your download folder without altering the suffix. then flickr changes the format & size so you can post it here.

charles

8) 8)

good luck !!

Return to “Personal Diaries”