Little Scrubs Meadow/Chambers Farm Wood Marsh Fritillary

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Haggis

Little Scrubs Meadow/Chambers Farm Wood Marsh Fritillary

Post by Haggis »

Hello all,

Are there any Marsh Fritillary on the wing yet at Little Scrubs Meadow? If so can anyone recommend the best areas of the reserve/strategies for finding this little beauty?

Regards

John Hague
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Hello John

Sorry for the late response to your request but I have only just joined the Forum.

There are currently no records of Marsh Fritillary on the wing yet at Little Scrubs Meadow (LSM) but this will change probably around mid to late May. The best way to check on the progress is to visit the Lincolnshire Bird Club website at http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk Click on Bird and Wildlife News and then on Lincs Butterfly News. When Marsh Fritillaries are on the wing, believe me, someone will let everyone know!

LSM is a Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust (LWT) Reserve to be found within the Chambers Farm Woodland complex owned and managed by the Forestry Commission. FC produce a 4 page guide to the wood available from the small visitor centre when open, which doesn’t seem to be very often! However, the guide isn’t necessary as directions and a map can be found at the LWT website http://www.lincstrust.org.uk Click on Nature Reserves, then on Reserves Location Map and you should find LSM is site number 31.

There is really no strategy for this site. LSM is a small and very easily worked location and so long as you visit on a suitable day, weather wise, it’s really impossible to miss the many Marsh Fritillaries which are present. I’m not a photographer but I would say opportunities for photography are very good if this is your thing.

Hope this helps and if you do visit good luck.

Regards

Grahame Hopwood
Lincoln
Haggis

Post by Haggis »

Thanks Grahame, I often look at the Lincs site for birds but I never think about butterflies.

Regards

John
eccles

Post by eccles »

Marsh Fritillaries have been on the wing at Hazelbury Common in Wiltshire since April 30th. The warm April brought them out early there so it could be worth doing some checking at your local spots.
Lance

Post by Lance »

I think the marsh frits are on the wing at LSM now (when its not raining that is) :(
Regards Lance
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

I was at Chambers Farm yesterday and managed to spot a couple of marsh fritillary at LSM, though I think the strong winds and intermittent cloud were unfavourable. According to the warden there have been quite a few on the wing and it is just a case of visiting when weather conditions are suitable.
DJT
markhows

Post by markhows »

Return to “Sites”