Mountain Ringlet

Rogerdodge

Mountain Ringlet

Post by Rogerdodge »

Interestingly, Gibster has just put a post on the "Plans for Next Year" thread with a link to the BC Cumbrian Branch "Distribution of the Mountain Ringlet Butterfly in Cumbria" document.
Coincidentally, I had just e-mailed the author, Steve Clarke, asking if he had the up-to-date list.
He did, and has mailed it to me in a word.doc.
I have mailed back asking if I can release it to people on this forum.

However, his e-mail may be of interest-

"Hi Roger, see latest edition attached. Cumbria branch of Butterfly Conservation are organising / undertaking a structured survey for the second year running so your records will be most welcome and if you want to get more involved please see our website nearer the time for what we are doing."

I know we are getting close to having an informal gathering of UKBers up there then.
Perhaps we can be of some help to them on this?
Cheers

Roger
David M

Re: Mountain Ringlet

Post by David M »

That's very interesting. Being probably the most elusive butterfly in the UK, I can imagine lots of members would be keen to hear more as and when it becomes available (I certainly would).
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

David M wrote:Being probably the most elusive butterfly in the UK,
Well there's always Arran Brown on Rannoch and Mountain Ringlet in Ireland...maybe... :wink:
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
millerd

Post by millerd »

More info here about this little chap...

http://www.cumbria-wildlife.org.uk/mringlet.html

Dave
Paul

Post by Paul »

I realize it is difficult for a lot of people to see the Mountain Ringlet, and I know of one quite isolated site in the Lakes where I would be willing to take a small group in 2011. One would have to be OK to scramble steeply upwards to 700m, and willing to walk a couple of miles, but a Pub lunch or drink afterwards is something to look forward to. The most difficult thing about the organization would be the weather, as we would need a NICE day, so it might have to be a last minute "go for it tomorrow" sort of thing. Also, it would have to be on one of the last 2 weekends of June.
If anyone would like to express an interest, I could give a short notice go ahead nearer the time. :D

Last edited by Paul on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George

Post by George »

Hi Paul,

My wife and I would be very interested as this is one of only three species we have left to see in the UK (traditional UK species that is!). We have tried for them before in the Lakes but defeated by the weather - also tried at Ben Lawers but again defeated by the weather. Third time lucky maybe! The others we have still to see are Lulworth Skipper and Glanville Fritillary. Would love to see all three this year.

As you say - all we need is a sunny day!!!!

Cheers
George
http://www.gfcphotography.co.uk
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Steve Clarke of BC Cumbria has kindly allowed me to release the latest Mountain Ringlet Distribution document.
Also attached are the Record Sheet and Recorders Notes for anyone visiting the Lakes this year.
I have extracted the data into a 3 page spreadsheet - page 1 is all the records, page 2 is all the sites, and page 3 is the best site records from 2010 and 2009.
I have also created and attached a GPX file of all the sites mentioned.
GPX files can be exported into personal handheld GPSs or uploaded into GoogleEarth or similar.

Personally I am travelling from Devon up to the Lakes on June 20th or 21st, and back on 27th, spending a day or so at Arnside Knott, Gait Barrows and Meathop. Then a couple of days visiting two or three good MR areas. I also plan to visit some under-recorded areas after I have got my photos!!
Obviously all this is weather dependant, but I have to book leave from work early to ensure I can take it.
Even if the weather is not good, there is still excellent walking, pretty good birding, and top rate sightseeing. Also a pub or two may get visited...........
Mail or PM me nearer the time if you want to meet up.
Attachments
SMRSites.gpx
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
SMR.xls
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
MR record form.doc
(35 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Mountain Ringlet recorders notes 2011.doc
(37 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
DISTRIBUTION OF MR IN CUMBRIA.doc
(85.5 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Last edited by Rogerdodge on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Roger
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I've created a GPX file for all of the sites found on UK Butterflies. See:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_gpx.php

Not sure how to include species information (yet!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Good resource, Pete.
Paul

Post by Paul »

George.... I will PM you just before I go so you can choose whether it suits you both to come with me. "My" site is one of those in the Cumberland file, but I'm sure not one of the better known or easier to reach ones... ie unlikely to have much company :roll: :D :D Anyone else who chooses still welcome to volunteer :wink:
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Hi
I have just had a mail from Martin Tordoff from BC Cumbria enclosing the latest MR handout.
I am in the Lakes 23/4/5/6 June when I will meet up with my top mate Paul Kipling.
We intend to visit two pretty guaranteed sites, Stony Cove/Hartsop Dodd, and Honistor/Grey Knotts/Brandreth and two other sites where reports haven't been received for a while.
All this is, of course, weather dependant.
If you fancy meeting up over that period, just PM me.

Cheers
Attachments
MR FlyerP2.doc
(73 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
MR FlyerP1.doc
(217 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Cheers

Roger
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Notwithstanding that I've plans to meet up with Roger, I do have a free day tomorrow and based on the success of David M's recent trip, I was thnking of trying for Mountain Ringlet. I should have gone today but as people have said the forecast keeps changing and I'd seen a poor forecast for Saturday.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of Irton Fell.

I've never seen the species and am told it's notoriously difficult but surely even I can't overlook c.100 - can I?

What are my chances?:-

1) Forecast sunny or sunny intervals to 1.00pm with a max. temp. of 15 degrees. I've only got up to this time before the weather turns, but surely enough time - will it be warm enough though, and does it need to be constant full sun?

2) Can anyone give me directions i.e. where to park and the route to take out of the car park to get on the fell - David was saying it was only 15 minutes walking, albeit steep. This doesn't sound too challenging for what I thougt was a pig of a butterfly to see.

All tips/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

As well as the early Irton Fell MRs (thanks Trev Sawyer), the higher altitude Mountain Ringlets are now flying.
If you are visiting the Lake District for these enigmatic little butterflies, please see the attached documents, and help the Cumbria BC with thier survey.
Good Luck!
I am there 22nd to 26th, and meeting up with my excellent friend Paul Kipling.
PM me if you would also like to meet up sometime over that period.
I shall also be visiting Arnside Knott, and Meathop Moss.
Cheers
Attachments
MR Recorders Notes 2011 Final 12Apr11.doc
(50 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Mountain Ringlet records to 2010 S Clarke.doc
(107.5 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Mountain Ringlet record form Final 12Apr11.doc
(39.5 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Cheers

Roger
Andrew Masterman

Post by Andrew Masterman »

I saw my first Mountain Ringlet butterfly of the year at Ben Lawers on Tuesday 28 June 2011 so they will soon be out in numbers on the Scottish mountains where this butterfly occurs.

This butterfly is significantly under-recorded in Scotland so it would be great if any UK Butterflies members could get involved in surveying Mountain Ringlet in Scotland over the next month. Late June to July is the flight period of Mountain Ringlet in Scotland - it is earlier in Cumbria.

You can read about Mountain Ringlet surveys and learn about its distinctive habitat - herb-rich Nardus grassland on the following link:

http://www.southwestscotland-butterflie ... 2010.shtml
Andrew Masterman

Post by Andrew Masterman »

Mountain Ringlet are on the wing. I have searched for them in 40 different 1 km squares so far but partly due to poor weather with the sun coming and going and the fact that Mountain Ringlet may not be present in all of them, I have only found them in 13 different 1 km squares.

I found 42 Mountain Ringlet in square NN6039 above the reservoir at Ben Lawers where Mountain Ringlet is known to be numerous and 11 on the SW flanks of Stuc an Lochain NN4744, west Glen Lyon. In this latter square, I also came across a number of Black Mountain Moth together with Mountain Ringlet which is a potential source of confusion. Black Mountain Moth are half the size and not as dark as newly emerged Mountain Ringlet which look black but their habitat on the higher slopes of some mountains does overlap to some extent. Mountain Ringlet is generally found on grassy south-facing slopes where there is very little Crowberry which is the foodplant of Black Mountain moth but Crowberry is very abundant on the tops of mountains between 600 and 900 m where you don't generally find Mountain Ringlet. 2011 is a very good year for Black Mountain moth so if you haven't seen it, now is a good time to head off into the mountains to see it and hopefully you will find some Mountain Ringlet on your way up too.

In nine of the 13 1 km squares where I found Mountain Ringlet, I only found one or two. On some mountains, it does seem to occur at low density but on others such as Ben Lawers and Beinn Chaorach at Tyndrum where long-term sheep grazing has resulted in extensive and lush Mat-grass swards, large numbers of Mountain Ringlet may be found and you can encounter 100 or more in a 1 km square.

Total Mountain Ringlet recorded so far is 82!

Return to “General”