Hello from a newbie

Let us know what you think of the UK Butterflies website, and tell us something about yourself!
nigpd

Hello from a newbie

Post by nigpd »

Hi, I thought it was time I said hello after joining a couple of weeks ago.

Just a little about me and my past experiences with butterflies. I had the opportunity in 1975 as part of my degree course (Applied Biology), to spend 6 months with Ernie Pollard at the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology at Monks Wood. I would carry out daily transects for Ernie, netting and marking Small Heath butterflies as part of his population study research. What a summer, and what happy, carefree days for a student!

During that summer, I also got the chance to help Marney Hall (if I remember right her surname was King back then??) release Swallowtails into Wicken Fen. Beautiful insects, and what a priveledge to be involved. I understand that this particular reintroduction wasnt too successful unfortunately. I hope it wasnt anything I did!

A lot of time passed until I got as up close and personal with butterflies again, although I have always maintained my interest in nature and the environment. I bought a DSLR two years ago and once I got a bit confident with it, the most natural subject to try and get some photos of was butterflies. I started off with extension tubes on a zoom lens and then progressed to a macro lens last year. I have truly got the bug and cant wait for spring to arrive.

You can see some of my efforts on http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigpd/ where I have a butterfly set.

I have booked a place on the April Photography Workshop where I will be looking, listening and learning how to do improve my photography.

Looking forward to meeting fellow members too.

regards

Nigel
Last edited by nigpd on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisC

Re: Hello from a newbie

Post by ChrisC »

Welcome to UKB, some lovely photo's in your collection. I even looked through the aircraft, very nice. look forward to seeing more :)
Chris
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Welcome Nigel - looking forward to seeing you at the workshop and your contributions on the forum!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Nigel
Welcome to the site.
Some excellent information, and some excellent people too.
You will enjoy the Photographic Workshop.
They are very informative, and you will also meet some great people.

Sadly, this next one will be the first I have missed.
I am however missing it for the best of reasons - Paul, NickB and I are meeting up with Roger Gibbons and are going to be pursuing early butterflies in the South of France.

Good luck.
Cheers

Roger
nigpd

Post by nigpd »

Thanks for the kind welcome guys. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Hi Nigel and welcome :) love your common blue in the dew, tried something like that last year but it didn't turn out so good. Had a look on your Aircraft photos as well, some nice ones there, always liked vintage and military aircraft
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Nigel and welcome :)
Paul, NickB and I are meeting up with Roger Gibbons and are going to be pursuing early butterflies in the South of France.
You lucky beggar's. I fancied this trip myself last year, but as I don't drive and speak little French, I didn't want to go on my own.
Have a great time, and write a trip report.

Denise
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Denise
I had contemplated inviting you, but the itinerary involves sharing twin bedded rooms, and I am not sure I could resist the temptation :wink:

A great time is assured. We all got on so well in Switzerland last year that we had no hesitation in travelling together again.

Trip report is guaranteed - our first 6 nights stops have free WiFi - so no excuse for not doing daily updates.

Only 81 sleeps..........
Cheers

Roger
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Welcome Nigel. I liked your Painted Lady pics.

I enjoy visiting Monks Wood, although I have not come across any Small Heaths.

Charles

8) 8)
nigpd

Post by nigpd »

Hi Charles.

Thanks for your kind comment on my pics.

I hope not seeing any Small Heaths at Monks Wood didnt have anything to do with me putting small ink dots on their wings every time I netted one! :?: :?:

Return to “Guestbook”