hibernating butterfly - help!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Lucy Loo

hibernating butterfly - help!

Post by Lucy Loo »

Hi all,
ok so there was a hibernating butterfly in our stairwell last week. It was definitely in danger of getting stood on/eaten by the one eyed dog that roams around our tenement, so I opted to pick it up and move it. We don't have a private garden or anything like that, so I put it on the windowsill in our stairwell (which is still not so warm that it'll wake up before spring).
Now I'm worried about spiders! It's a pretty dusty area and I'd be heartbroken if it got eaten or anything.

So can I please ask the experts! Can anyone recommend somewhere safer I can move it to? I was thinking we could but it in a box on our windowsill. Or maybe somewhere in our local park? What's the best thing to do?

Yours hopefully

Lucy
David M

Re: hibernating butterfly - help!

Post by David M »

Somewhere dark and unheated would be best. Any sheds/outhouses nearby?
Lucy Loo

Post by Lucy Loo »

No, no sheds or anything like that :(
Lucy Loo

Post by Lucy Loo »

Here's a pic (if this helps)
Attachments
hibernating.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That Peacock looks dormant but healthy. One option might be to put it in a plastic container and keep in the fridge. No need for air holes in the box, there will be enough oxygen to last till spring. Then on the first fine sunny day after say mid March, bring into the light BUT NOT DIRECT SUN and let it warm up slowly. It will be obvious when it is ready to fly away.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Looks to be in good condition. As Jack says, it's okay to keep it in a container as its systems have largely shut down, but keep an eye on it and when it stirs (probably mid March), give it the opportunity to make an escape.

Return to “General”