Got one..........

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Got one..........

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

yeah :D Ok, so he wasn't up for showing much orange, but at least he landed!

eccles

Post by eccles »

Nice one Gwen. If you spot him at rest again, hang around for five minutes or so and he may eventually open his wings.
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Thanks Eccs! but he didn't stay as he got buzzed by a bee.
Are you going to try for the Purple E at Bentley this year?
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Congratulations Gwen, a shot I still haven't managed to achieve. I had a glorious opportunity on Tuesday, wings open wide, perfect. I trained the camera and the wretched thing wouldn't focus. Before I could try again the butterfly was gone. I must admit I considered suicide, but thought better of it.
DJT
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Sure know that feeling! I had decided to give up, but the following day he came to me instead of me running miles after him!
eccles

Post by eccles »

I know the feeling too. I managed to get a willing OT a few days ago myself, but the day before I was chasing holly blue at Brown's Folly and spotted a female with wings half open right in front of me. Then I dropped a lens cap, bent down to pick it up and off flew the butterfly. The lens cap cost 99p, and but for the litter, I would have gladly left it there to have got that shot. :(
As for the purple emperor at Bentley, I doubt if I'll make the trek as it's a fair old way from my neck of the woods.
Last edited by eccles on Sat May 05, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I had many trouble the other day, when I went out to see what was around my area. They flew around the bluebells and stopped at some bugle to feed and I got one (pooly) from right side (at an angle). Unless there is cuckoo flower close by, its difficult. They tend to stop for a few seconds longer on cuckoo flower, I have seen and there you get your chance.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
eccles

Post by eccles »

My solution was to get out early on a cool sunny morning. The one I found that morning was pretty sluggish at first, flying only short distances until he warmed up and until that happened it was quite easy to get close.

Return to “Photography”