Microadjustment

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Paul

Microadjustment

Post by Paul »

L plates still on :D

Canon 7d vs 100mm macro EF IS USM...

didn't seem to be getting on with focussing the damn combo.... eventually worked out about microadjustment.... on AF, the combo was focussing 6-10mm short!.... took a while to correct, but now with a microadjust of +20 it now focusses at +/- 2mm at f3.2 on a subject 62cm away.... should auger well for next season.. :D

whilst playing.... the DOF increase with each stop of aperture narrowing seems to be ~ 1mm from f3.2 - f5.0, then 2mm from f5 - f8, then 4mm to f10.

Is that what I should expect.? :?

I think I should try to keep the iso at 100, and the f as low as possible for flat subjects, or ~9 ish for angular shots, letting the camera choose the shutter speed. Would the in-built flash be useful to fill in the subject at ~60cm distance to target?

Does that make sense to all those who are experienced with DSLRs. I am sure anyone making the leap this way would be pleased to read any comments / advice regarding the above.

Maybe I should come to the workshop next year :lol: .... such a long way when negotiating with SWWBO :roll:
Jack Harrison

Re: Microadjustment

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paul said:
whilst playing.... the DOF increase with each stop of aperture narrowing seems to be ~ 1mm from f3.2 - f5.0, then 2mm from f5 - f8, then 4mm to f10.

Is that what I should expect.? :?
Look at this guide - it will explain (and confirm) your findings:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... -field.htm

Jack
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

congrats on new camera, the 100 macro is superb!

i tend to stay at iso200 for natural light shots with this lens, keeps the shutterspeed a bit higher. even 400 would be pretty much noise free so u could either.
depth of field is very narrow, especially compared to compact cameras with much smaller sensors, but i usually shoot at f6.3 - f8 for most butterfly shots which helps getting a oof background.
i usually only manual focus, cant trust auto to focus on the part i want! lol

phil
Paul

Post by Paul »

fantastic, thanks to both of you... will make good use of advice.. can't wait until next spring! :D
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

dont wait till spring! are there any butterfly houses near you, great places to experiment :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The home page of Cambridge in colour:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
has other useful tips and tutorials. The chap seems to know his stuff but I've never met him although he can't live very far away.

Jack
Paul

Post by Paul »

hmmmm... there is a butterfly house in Stockton :? :? :wink: ..... Jack... I've referred to that website several times and it is really useful in explaining things - will keep looking in :D

(edit) Damn... it's closed in December :evil: :roll:

Return to “Photography”