Super-macro shots

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Super-macro shots

Post by Pete Eeles »

I'm interested in getting shots that are greater than x1 magnification - which is pretty much what you get with a regular macro lens - since I want to get good close-ups of butterfly eggs, for instance.

There seem to be several options:

1. A macro adapter (also known as a reversing ring) that allows a regular lens to be reversed (so it makes small things large, rather than large things small!)

2. A macro coupler that allows a reversed lens to be attached to a regular lens using the filter thread. So you could get a combination of a macro lens, and a reversed lens, for example.

3. Extension tubes (which don't really provide much more magnification).

4. Bellows (flexible extension tubes).

5. A dedicated lens (such as the Canon MP-E 65) which isn't cheap!

I was wondering what folks out there are using, and what success they're having. Please post examples if you can. An example of a Purple Hairstreak egg using a 105mm macro lens + extension tubes is attached. But I'd like to get closer :)

Cheers,

- Pete
chrisp

>x1 Magnification

Post by chrisp »

I've been struggling with this one for many a year, and my suggestion would be that coupling two lenses back to back probably produces the best results. I have a set of bellows, but frankly the optical quality is no better and handling leaves a lot to be desired. Also, now I'm using a DSLR, I'd be a bit worried about the amount of dust that would arrive on the sensor everytime I moved the bellows in and out.

I think experts like John Shaw recommend this approach.

I've attached a specimen shot (taken last night). I didn't have any hairstreak eggs to hand, so I borrowed an aphid from one of my roses. The insect length is about 1.3mm, the lenses are a 90 mm tamron macro (on body) plus an old Pentax 28mm backed onto the macro lens using a home made converter. I've trimmed the shot to remove vignetting. Notice the detail in the compound eye, which is always a good test of resolution.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Many thanks for the reply.

So - if you reverse a lens, you obviously won't get features such as auto-focus or be able to use aperture- or shutter-priority (since there is no electronic connection to the lens from the camera body).

And - I therefore assume that the reversed lens needs to be manually adjustable for both focus *and* aperture? I have no lenses that allow me to do the latter, but guess I could pick one up second-hand fairly cheaply.

Is this correct? If so, what focal length lens would you recommend? Some suggest 50mm as a candidate.

And thanks again!

Cheers,

- Pete
ChrisPickford

Post by ChrisPickford »

The main lens is not reversed, so you maintain autofocus (but who uses it for macro proper...) and aperture priority etc. It's only the second lens which is reversed. This is kept at full aperture and is in effect a high-class close up lens. reversing it means that the light path goes through both lens in a near optimum configuration.

I've tried a range of focul lengths, but I've found that with the lenses I've got, the 28mm works best. The same lens also gives the best performance used on a bellows and reversed.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Chris. That's excellent. I'll order my reversing ring now :)

I assume that the 28mm lens is a wide angle, and the reason you get the vignetting?

Cheers,

- Pete
ChrisPickford

Post by ChrisPickford »

The 28mm is a wideangle. I've tried 5omm lenses which give less vignetting, but seem to give slightly less resolution. With an old Tamron macro lens I have, there was less vignetting, possibly because the front element was not so far buried in the mount as it is with the new digital one.

I get less vignetting if I extend the macro lens to its closest focus position, rather than at infinity; I would suggest "trial and error" as the best way to see what works best with the lenses you have
Chris P

Super macro

Post by Chris P »

Using a teleconverter (see recent review in AP) plus a macro lens also gives quite good results. This is a (shrunken) pic of a housefly using a 2x teleconverter and Tamron SP90, using an effective magification of 2x. The original file looks pretty sharp when printed at A3.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I use the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro and a set of Jessops extention tubes totaling 66mm.

Martin.
Last edited by Martin on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dormouse

Post by Dormouse »

Hi Martin,

I've been looking at your picture for a couple weeks now. I've read the whole post and I understand why people grapple with up turned lens etc (just like I am on the Backgarden Moths Forum to get my first light!) but I sooo want to say: I want to take pictures like THIS!

I don't have the pennies right now to buy a 6w actinic, let alone a digital SLR plus macro lens plus extensions :( but: I've shown your picture to a friend who is a qualified professional photogher and he agrees with my theory - my next camera (with relevant macro lens and extensions - like yours!) should be able to attain the standard of picture you have shown pending on my ability!

I just want to say thank you! I sit in the position of a nice little digital and dream of the SLR set up I require to meet the sort of pictures I want to take and your comments have helped me to know what I need to get to achieve my dreams - THANK YOU!

DM
Martin

Post by Martin »

Dormouse wrote:Hi Martin,

I've been looking at your picture for a couple weeks now. I've read the whole post and I understand why people grapple with up turned lens etc (just like I am on the Backgarden Moths Forum to get my first light!) but I sooo want to say: I want to take pictures like THIS!

I don't have the pennies right now to buy a 6w actinic, let alone a digital SLR plus macro lens plus extensions :( but: I've shown your picture to a friend who is a qualified professional photogher and he agrees with my theory - my next camera (with relevant macro lens and extensions - like yours!) should be able to attain the standard of picture you have shown pending on my ability!

I just want to say thank you! I sit in the position of a nice little digital and dream of the SLR set up I require to meet the sort of pictures I want to take and your comments have helped me to know what I need to get to achieve my dreams - THANK YOU!

DM
Well that's very nice of you to say so, and in doing so you've given me a lovely warm feeling :D I'm no brain surgeon or rocket scientist, so if I can get a good photo now and then anyone can. Hope you get your DSLR soon and look forward to seeing the results.

Martin.

Return to “Photography”