TMB photos - the rest

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
JKT

TMB photos - the rest

Post by JKT »

I suppose there is no way to tell the first btw. napi and bryoniae - even the height is a maybe. The location is before Col. du Bonhomme just before the last place for refreshments (I forget the name...).

The other two are too difficult for me. One has a guess, but there's just too many of them and too little experience. The middle one is just before Champex and the last just before La Flegere.
Attachments
YIMG_1377.jpg
YIMG_1690 EREmedus.jpg
YIMG_1846.jpg
JKT

Re: TMB photos - the rest

Post by JKT »

And then to moths. The first reminds me of Xanthorhoe annotinata, but I have no idea whether that is found in the Alps. This one was inside Rifugio Elena.

The other two are ... well - Malacosoma sp. If there is a way to tell them apart, I don't know it.
Attachments
YIMG_1583.jpg
YIMG_1708.jpg
YIMG_1876.jpg
Last edited by JKT on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
JKT

Post by JKT »

...and the last one is a micro moth from near La Peule.
Attachments
YIMG_1611.jpg
Paul

Post by Paul »

Doesn't the upf s6 spot deflected laterally in 1690 make it meolans? - then the uns in 1846 could be the same species :? :D
JKT

Post by JKT »

You may well be right. I knew that spot to tell apart meolans and triaria, but had never thought what others it might apply to. I seem to have overlooked meolans for that due to the worn appearance - the others were in good condition. The underside seems indeed perfect for the same species. Thanks!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Meolans is very variable. This was my first impression for both the Erebia, even though the upperside is by no means typical.

The white looks good for male bryoniae but I don't know any way of saying it's not first brood napi. The date might help. Near me, bryoniae predominates from about 1500m.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
JKT

Post by JKT »

That's what I thought. The date was 27th of June and the height 1600 m. There were bryoniae around, but they mostly flew a bit higher.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Is it not the case that for bryoniae the unh veins are heavily suffused grey reaching right to the margins, but not for napi?

Whether this is always true and whether 1377 qualifies, are another matter.

Roger

Return to “Overseas”