BC Conference

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Jack Harrison

BC Conference

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have thought long and hard about the wisdom of writing this but have received private encouragement that I ought to go ahead.

The BC conference was in my opinion a great disappointment. I had taken no part in the organisation – shame on me considering it was hosted by my own branch. But it was not the organisation that disappointed so much but the overall character of the conference and in particular the presentations.

I have been in correspondence with Martin Warren – more about that later.

All the presenters knew their subject and their enthusiasm was abundantly clear. But not wishing to sound too critical, they were not “big names”. The conference needs big names. We have had them in the past. I remember a superb talk by Chris Packham about over-wintering Monarchs in Mexico. I don’t think that the conference necessarily needs butterfly people for every slot.

I have suggested some names to Martin. He has received these quite well:

Simon Barnes, Stephen Moss, Simon King, Charlotte Uhlenbroek (a crowd-puller if ever there was), Chris Packham, Peter Marren. Of course, there are many more.

But it’s not just big-name speakers that we should target. Does the conference have to be so formalised? For example, why not a photographic workshop (as per Gary & co’s weekend in May each year)? Perhaps Neil could repeat his one-man art exhibition (and I’m sure he would somehow be able to include sketches of his great pal, the Duke of Norfolk!) And Neil and Matthew Oates could do a double act about baiting for Purple Emperors? “Please pass on that rancid shrimp-paste to the person next to you”. (Belachin). Matthew is a mildly-eccentric breath of fresh air. My wife has listened entranced to his radio chats about Shelley, Keats, and Byron - the names of his Purple Emperor caterpillars. (But surprisingly, there is no McGonagall)

These are just ideas to start the ball rolling. I think that we need a debate about what we want from the conference. We, the members of Butterfly Conservation should be deciding how it should be rather than having the somewhat unimaginative tired format foisted on us.

I would add one final comment about the conference, one which I passed on to Martin Warren; it would seem to sum things up nicely. During one presentation, the person sitting next to me was using his Smart Phone to get the latest football scores!

Jack
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: BC Conference

Post by Gruditch »

I to found that this years agenda was a bit uninspiring. Last year, Lisa, Pete, and myself were making deals as to who would watch the UK Butterflies stand, while the others went to the various presentations. This year not a single talk enticed me into the lecture hall.
Jack Harrison wrote:Does the conference have to be so formalised? For example, why not a photographic workshop (as per Gary & co’s weekend in May each year)?
I do think that photography workshops, are perhaps more the sort of thing that should be run at branch level. But I do agree that the conference is far too formalised, I've never seen a child at our branch, or the national AGM, surly that is something we need to change !.

There are several well known wildlife presenters, Nick Baker, Chris Packham, Steve Backshall, who if advertised properly, would have the younger generation coming in their droves. I know its easier said than done to get these sort of people, but looking at this years agenda, I'm not sure how much effort was put in.
Jack Harrison wrote:I don’t think that the conference necessarily needs butterfly people for every slot.
I agree, I would listen to Charlotte Uhlenbroek, or Kate humble talk about anything. :wink:

Regards Gruditch
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

I almost talked myself into going to this year's BC conference, but it sounds like I didn't miss much.

The last BC meeting I attended was an AGM in a dismal building somewhere in central London, sometime in the early 80s, when BC was known as BBCS. It was a quite drawn-out affair, which I found dry and totally uninspiring. The highlights for me were chatting to Robert Goodden (after the meeting was over), and leaving my details with one of the officers of the London branch, who was asking for volunteers to help with practical work at various sites. Since I was relatively young and enthusiastic, I thought it might be a way to help me to get involved with the society. I didn't hear a thing from him. This disillusioned me somewhat, and if I'd not already been a Life Member I would have cancelled my membership.

A few weeks ago, I went to the Annual Meeting of another wildlife-related society, of which I'd had no previous experience. The afternoon consisted of a number of talks, which were mainly very interesting, with a 5-minute AGM somewhere in the middle. I came away feeling that some of the talks had had to be squeezed into the time available, and I would have been happy for the meeting to have lasted longer. What a contrast with my BBCS experience.

My only real disappointment with the latter meeting was not the meeting itself, but the average age of the attendees. The number of people having no grey hair could almost be counted on the fingers of two hands (and I'm not one of them). I can't help feeling that unless youngsters can somehow be tempted to get involved, such societies' days are numbered.

Paul
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

BC are doing a special membership offer, details here:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/t ... rship.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

They could learn a thing or two from the Sussex BC AGM.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:They could learn a thing or two from the Sussex BC AGM.
Such as?

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Susie said:
I recently became a member of the Sussex Branch but couldn’t attend the most recent AGM/Members Day. I have looked online for a programme of events for the day but can’t find anything. Pointers please.

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

I don't know if there is a programme of events online, Kipper would be the person who could answer that properly.

I have never been to a national BC conference so really have no experience to draw on and, therefore, should keep my cake-hole shut but I have been to a couple of our Sussex BC AGMs and look forward to them. They manage a perfect mix of information, updates of events, and entertainment.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Susie said:
I have never been to a national BC conference so really have no experience to draw on and, therefore........
Yes, indeed. It would not be wise for anyone simply to accept my opinion (or that of Gruditch) without question. I had expressed a view but that was to an extent reinforced when BC admitted that "we will try to do better". I simply want a debate about how "better" can be achieved so ideas can in due course be passed on to BC.

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

I don't doubt that you are right for a moment, Jack. Perhaps Kipper can enlighten you on how they add such magic to our BC AGMs.

I do wonder though if perhaps the national event should be a more serious affair than the local events.
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Jack Harrison wrote:Susie said:
I recently became a member of the Sussex Branch but couldn’t attend the most recent AGM/Members Day. I have looked online for a programme of events for the day but can’t find anything. Pointers please.

Jack
Have a look at Neil's personal dairy:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=180
Then go down to Wed 13 Oct.
It was good!

Sorry to hear this years national AGM was a bit disappointing, for some. I didn't go so cant judge but I found the 2009 AGM at Winchester really interesting (especially the bit on vertical radar and migration).
So, how did 2010 national AGM compare with 2009?
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Crispin wrote:So, how did 2010 national AGM compare with 2009?

:(

I just feel that BC is missing a trick here. I envisioned the AGM's to be must go to events, yet only 170 members bothered to attend this year.

If you advertised in the local paper, that you had Alan Titchmarsh doing a talk on gardening for wildlife, would that entice the general public in, are they welcome :?: , Obviously you would charge them a fiver, make a few quid, and hopefully get some new members to boot.
Could the event be held at a school, that way the school could get involved, have there own display etc.
Rather than the Chair of the host branch, should someone like Matthew Oates be the host.

Regards Gruditch
Piers

Post by Piers »

As someone who did not attend in 2009 or 2010 because I physically couldn't, wished that I could have, but now glad that I didn't waste a load of bucks on petrol, this is an interesting thread.

I wonder if BC has ever thought to ask it's collective membership what they would want from their AGM either at branch or national level?

At branch level, clearly some branches have it nailed so to speak (Sussex?), howver certain other branches couldn't possibly make their AGM's less interesting/inviting/relevant if they tried, irrespective of any (clearly unwelcome) input from the branch membership.

Felix.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,

Only just caught up with this thread, which (thankfully :D ) mentions our Branch AGM in a good light, as I was away in the Canaries while it kicked off. Thanks to Crispin for providing the link to my diary page, which should give some idea of how we make our AGMs as appealing as possible; i.e. a rapid charge (30 mins max) through official business, 'bulleting' the high points, achievements and thanking those that have helped us throughout the year - followed by inspirational speakers (the always entertaining Michael Blencowe being one of the two - followed by Matthew Oates in 2009 and Patrick Barkham this year) - and a sufficiently long half-time social break, where we mingle and chat to as many members as possible. Name badges are given out by 'meeters and greeters' on the door. The venue is a smart village hall set in beautiful countryside. We also have wild flower plugs and shrubs for sale. The atmosphere always seems to 'buzz' and attendance keeps climbing.

Jack - it may have disappeared by the time you went searching - but the AGM (with programme of speakers etc) was listed on the 'Events' page of our website and as a separate advert at the head of the 'Sightings' page. It was also printed in our newsletter (perhaps the copy before you joined up?) and a post-mortem write-up will appear in the (imminent) winter issue.

This is an interesting thread and there are some important issues here. I thought the 2009 national event in Hants was excellent, so no problems there. It does sound as if this year's event has disappointed some members - and that should be taken seriously.

I would write some more, but the wonderful South Downs Joint Committee have just come up with a useful chunk of year-end 'underspend'. So it was a site visit today, habitat management plan tonight, Natural England approval (fingers crossed) later this week, and contractors/volunteers in next week. I'd better get to it!

Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I started this thread and to be honest, I felt a bit of a sh-t for doing so. But it does seem that my comments haven’t fallen on totally stony ground.

It has to remembered that ukb is not Butterfly Conservation and the comments on this group might not even be seen by BC. So what is needed now is to draw the attention of the BC management to the views expressed on this internet forum. But I am not quite sure how we go about that.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

I actually recently wrote to the World's Greatest Living Englishman (no, NOT Rogerdodge!) as BC President commenting that we need to get more and younger members involved with BC, having pointed out (with my tongue-in-cheek) that his presence may have actually lowered the average age at this year's AGM!
So far no reply!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You are so correct Nick. Even at your ripe old age (!) you must have lowered the average age.

But of course, I am now past my PRIME. Until just over a week ago, my age was a large prime number (71). Now my age (72) has the factors: 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36. I will regain my prime in another year’s time when I am 73.

And for those miserable sods who didn't remember my birthday this time, FOR FUTURE REFERENCE IT'S 7th DECEMBER :roll:

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

...and I assumed when they got to that sort of age people must be bored with birthdays...
...especially if you've managed as many as Jack!
..But apparently not! I suppose the old boy deserves congratulations for managing to make another year :shock:
Of course one sign of ageing is a bad memory.....
When did you say you birthday was Jack? :mrgreen:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Maybe our moan payed of Jack, I see BBC wildlife reporter Mike Dilger is to talk at the 2011 AGM. :D

Regards Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Mike Dilger is to talk at the 2011 AGM
In that case, I might be going.

Jack

Return to “General”