Silver Y moth

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Goldie M

Silver Y moth

Post by Goldie M »

In Sept I took a picture of this Silver Y Moth with a huge hole in it's body. I only remembered now because I was looking through my pics and spotted it. I was amazed at the time because it was still flying, could it be the victim of Wasps? does anybody Know :?: Goldie M
Attachments
Silver Y Moth the worse for wear BG 18th Sept 2010 007.JPG
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Silver Y moth

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Goldie,

I knew I had seen something similar and have now managed to find the photo. Based on this photo I would speculate that it is not a hole but an area of the thorax which is usually hidden by a tuft of hair. Occasionally this tuft is raised exposing a bald area of the thorax, which in certain light may appear as a hole. In your photo that area is in shadow which adds to the impression of a hole.
Silver Y
Silver Y
Hope this helps, but as I said, this is only a theory.

Vince
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Vince, your moth does look alot like mine, it also explains why it was flying.
I don't know a great deal about moths, do they all have this kind of deep thorax :?: or is this just this particular moth :?: Goldie M
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Depends on the family of moth - many do (such as the hawkmoths) but some, like the geometers, do not.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Matsukaze, I'll look up about the moths and their differances Goldie M :)

Return to “General”